GOONS Birthday Announcement

[center][img]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9724/dotiflagold.png[/img]
[size=24pt]A Birthday[/size][/center]
Today, on April 20th, 2010, we celebrate our first birthday. As such, we have several collected notes from various members of the alliance and government officials. The first of such is from our verbose Co-pilot:
[quote]
It's been one year of the Goon Order of Oppression, Negligence, and Sadism. One full year. One hell of a ride so far. I thought it was atrocious, the forming of the alliance under the wing of Pacifica and Polaris, the latter specifically. Atrocious, but absolutely necessary. It was the obvious first step, who better to bring us back than those who destroyed. I recall Viridia doing the same. And it worked. I was surprised, to put it bluntly, how amiable Polaris was to our cause. In all honesty, I never communicated much with them besides with Dajobo, and that worked out very well.

I have to thank Polaris for their contributions to our alliance. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't exist. Plain and simple. I'd like to look back at the start of Mushroom Kingdom in much the same way. If it weren't for the Goon Order of Neutral Shoving backing them, Pacifica (and Polaris right behind) would have come to immediate destruction. But in our case, it was the rest of the political sphere that was ready for blood once again. But thanks to steadfast resolve of our founding membership along with powerful figures aligned behind us, we persisted and prevailed.

And that brings me to our founding members, Sardonic and Salithus specifically. These two have worked tirelessly towards the good of the alliance, pushing forward multiple times when hope was lost. The GOONS membership today and since we started has been incredible in their support for our growth and their resolve in the face of adversity against the powerful political machine that has seen its shares of battles against our action and policy. And from that, we've grown, and learned.

We signed treaties with alliances that we could trust, and this has paid off. Our time with Mushroom Kingdom and Umbrella, =LOST= and Poison Clan, have led to some of the strongest ties we've felt in the political spectrum. People have questioned whether we are turning into the same group as the old Order of Neutral Shoving, especially in reference to the debacle that surrounded our treaty with Poison Clan and the end of our treaty with Polaris.

Let me be blunt, the decision was obvious, but difficult. The freedoms and responsibilities that our members are guaranteed by our Charter are too important to be sacrificed to save one treaty, but it was hard to cut the ties with those so integral to our founding. The feeling of telling Polaris that we could not fight on their side that night, at about 12:40 EST, was certainly painful. But the decision was made, the response obvious, and so ended the Black Ice MDoAP. Who would have thought that a few weeks later we would have been fighting on the same side in this just-ended war?

Today, we celebrate the Goon Order of Oppression, Negligence, and Sadism and our strong establishment in the affairs of the Cyberverse. With the help of our allies, and on numerous individual occasions, we have proven strong and defiant in our victories in battle. To our best friends, we are the ones you would sit around and have a beer at the bar with. We would take the ugly girl so that Umbrella could get the hot one at the local club. To our enemies, we are cruel individuals who must be destroyed. We are the ones who steal candy from small children and then sell it to drug dealers.

It has been a year of watching people from both sides attack everything we say indiscriminately or back us up wherever they can. Numerous times, there have been conversations with allies that go "I may not agree with it, but it is your choice and we agree you should be allowed to do it if you want," and there have been plenty of times that people have told me of my imminent destruction, that we were just one wrong move from being put down.

And that's how we like it. There isn't much of a middle ground in this world anyway, especially not with us. Life is black or white, you'll love us or hate us. We do not play the popularity contest, and it is not in the plans to start any time soon. If you don't know why we are here, you need to get to know us. Open a bottle of Fat Tire, and relax with us. Here's to another year. To 300 members. To 2,000,000 strength. To GOONS.[/quote]
From our Pilot:
[quote]
A whole year has gone by, much has changed. We have grown in size considerably and started our campaign of evil. We have encountered much resistance, but we have persevered. We successfully won our first major conflict (with the help of our allies, of course), earning many riches in the process, an appetizer for rewards yet to come. We have also started the process of tear collecting, most central to the GOONS way of life. We now stand, after a year, better, stronger, and most importantly: with a solid core of dedicated people in the alliance. This next year will be a year of growth, oppression, and wealth generating activities, the future holds much promise.

I would like to thank all of the GOONS government and emeritus who made this alliance a reality, rather than the pleasant dream of an EX-GOONS foot-soldier. My counterpart, and previous pilot salithus was instrumental in the founding of the alliance, and has shaped much of our policy, and has poured much of his soul into the alliance.

I would like to thank Biazt of course for doing all the logistics, it was nothing short of a miracle to recruit him on what was to me new GOONS' most inactive hour. Biazt is everything that a Goon should strive to be, and I'm sure he will serve the alliance for a long time to come.

I would also be remiss to not thank Lamuella for his literary works, his humor and wisdom have taken us to new heights. Every time I see that a communication is from him, I know it will be a good one.

And of course, I must thank the verbose co-pilot, and all the other GOONS government who have all done their part to make this alliance a success.

Much has been said about our cultural heritage. We constructed this alliance on the ruins of a once great empire, pledging to not make the same mistakes that sired their downfall. We have walked that razor's edge. Over the past year I have seen us grow from a few diehards to a true community in its own right. We have not lost our identity with our open recruitment, we have created a true community for GOONS here on Bob, and all those who share our ideals.

And in the end, that's all I set out to do.
[/quote]
From a Councilor:
[quote]
When I first heard that GOONS was being reformed, I was very skeptical. I had heard the same rumor about 6 times in the year or so beforehand and each effort was lead by either a complete tool or some moron who had the bright idea of "burn the world lol." More and more of my old friends kept pestering me, so I randomly decided to join the new IRC channel that day. So many names of people I hadn't spoken to in ages, and so much fun to be had... I made a leap of faith and rejoined. While it's true that we're very much so not like old goons, the things that made the game fun and made everything worthwhile are certainly still the same, and I look forward to our continued growth and success.[/quote]
From another Councilor:
[quote]
While much has been said about GOONS' growth over the past year, we wouldn't have been anywhere near the same alliance we are now without our allies. We took care to sign a select few treaties with alliances whom we truly care for, rather than strategic placement in the treaty web as some other alliances do. A special mention goes out to Umbrella and MK, who've supported us throughout our short history. So here's to our allies; =LOST=, Mushroom Kingdom, Umbrella, and Poison Clan, who's support has been invaluable to us.

o/
[/quote]A Councilor
[quote]
As the newest official member of Government, I must say, what a ride it has been. I was unofficially shoehorned in because there was need of fresh blood, and at the time I was one of the few newer GOONS that was showing the interest and activity needed. Since then, I have been officially elected as a counselor, internal activity has gone through the roof, and we have been working diligently to keep up with the load. The vast majority of the nations in GOONS are very very young, but this means we have an incredible potential. I am excited and honored to be an integral part of of what I know will be an incredibly successful and influential alliance in the years to come.
[/quote]
And another Councilor:
[quote][center]The old GOONS, quite dead
Our new order, much kinder
Can we all play nice?[/center][/quote]
From an Emeritus:
[quote]
I was done with this game, I swear to god.

I was playing at half speed, bumbling along, taking 10 minutes a day to log in and pay bills, and then one email changed it all, sent on March 11th of last year:

"How insane would it be to try and bring back CN GOONS?"

And with that, I woke up. I wasn't playing any more. I was working.

The idea was stupid, crazy, impossible. My first response to it was simply "it would be insane, but it would never work". Honestly, I was as shocked as anyone else, but then I started to come round. The redemption of GOONS is the best thing I've been involved in in the game. I know, I know, a lot of people are going to say that there isn't much competition there, but together a small group of us were able to turn the most hated name in the history of Cybernations into... well, probably only the seventh most hated name.

Every other alliance I played as, I felt like I was play-acting. I loved Browncoats, but I don't think I ever fit in. I'll always value my time with Farkistan, but I was like Hendrix playing with the Beatles, it just didn't work. Only GOONS felt like home.

A year ago today, I came home.[/quote]
On a note, we found that email:
[quote]
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM, salithus <salithus@redacted.com> wrote:

How insane would it be to try and bring back CN GOONS? I'm bored and LW sucks. Also, CN Farkistan is getting on my damn nerves.[/quote]
From another Emeritus:
[quote]
GOONS is a good group of people. In one year we've set up a place for like minded individuals to converse and organize into an efficient machine of hope and change. My prediction for the next year: GOONS will have more people, will be even more organized, and we will continue to be the number one importer of tears. Goon bless.
[/quote]
And a few selected quotes from our membership:
[quote]
Had a blast in my first war in CN, beating down the CSA and harvesting all those sweet delicious pubbie tears brings warmth to my heart.

I've gotta say, i'm glad I joined when I did, right before the outbreak of the TOP/CnG war. We kicked some major $@!, can't wait to do it again.

What a year it has been. Remember that time Canik ordered me to engage FEAR for four days? Great times. Got to smack dat $@!, never got anarchied even though I had 3 offensive and 3 defensive wars, AND got reps out of the deal.

I don't know what the hell you guys are doing diplomatically but it looks like it worked out great. 200+ nations and 1.5m strength after a bunch of nukes were dropped is pretty ace. More importantly, theres raids going every day and GOONS are undefeated since they came back. wooo. [/quote]

It's been a year, and we've been fortunate to have such great allies around us for this time to support us in our ventures. Here's to another year, hopefully more lucrative than the last. Be sure to congratulate us on our IRC channel at #cybergoons on synIRC or on our [url=http://cn.goonbase.com/]forums,[/url] unless you are FEAR. Canik, we are coming for you (just not today).

Edited by Sardonic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote][22:01] <+Biazt[GOONS]> http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=84607
[22:04] <+Hoo[AWAY]> No, Biazt[GOONS] ... I refuse to click that
[22:04] <+Hoo[AWAY]> Oh who am I kidding ... I clicked :(
[22:05] <+Biazt[GOONS]> :)[/quote]

And posted. Curse you, GOONS!

Also, happy birthday.

[quote name='Swiper' date='20 April 2010 - 07:10 AM' timestamp='1271740229' post='2267486']
Best birthdate ever.
[/quote]

Oh, you noticed. :awesome:

Well done, boys....let's keep up the good work, shall we? :v:

[quote name='Sceptor o Sordidness' date='20 April 2010 - 07:27 AM' timestamp='1271741222' post='2267519']
It's a gorgeous sight, seeing you come of age. Now ditch that training bra.
[/quote]

It's not a training bra...it's a BRO. ;)