Remembrance and Celebration

[center][img]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa43/mwe76/GATO/aclogo.png[/img][/center]

[url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=54099]One year ago today[/url], marks the freedom of the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization from the Viceroyship of NPO. Today marks the anniversary of the end of the most trying time in GATO's history. A period of our history many thought would see the Global Alliance cease to exist. Today we remember the sacrifice made by friends that allowed our existence to remain. We remember the dedication and sacrifice paid by CSN, USN, and those in the [url=http://cybernations.wikia.com/wiki/Commie_Volunteer_Force]Commie Volunteer Force[/url] (Onikujo, ComradeCHE, Azreal, Redraider, Yuusha, & Cataduanes), and the ultimate sacrifice paid by our dear friends and allies in IAA. We are forever indebted to each of you.

We also take time to remember the GATO leadership that led us through the Viceroy period: Dragonsphyre, MTTezla, Vlad Tepes/Morte, Kevlar, JMKeynes, & Wootmeister. Each of these individuals were in key positions at key moments during this time to hold us together. Our resolve was tested, our methods, and our traditions were tried but we held true to who were are even at SDRD's dismay of our liking for our Chatterbox. ;) While this period of time was trying, we did make friends. The clash of cultures between NPO and GATO was one to behold, yet I believe we came away with a new found respect for each other. We made friends with Cortath, Mary, MariMassa, and yes even SDRD. Today, despite what others say, we are in better standing than in years before. We have learned from each other and our friendship is cordial and should be an example of two alliances who are able to bury the hatchet and live at peace with each other. This does not mean we have to be best friends but we can coexist together.

Today marks an anniversary of the power of hope, loyalty, and unity. We have stood the test and live to tell the tale. Much has happened over the past year. We have renewed old friendships and made new friends. We have carved our own path back into the world. From being off the grid to being a sanctioned alliance, even it if was for a but a brief time, speaks volumes for the heart and resolve of our members. While we proudly wear the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization AA, we do not take for granted who we are. The new generation of GATOans hear the stories and know of our past both the good and the bad. Yet while hold to our traditions, we are a new GATO. A new attitude, with a new outlook, with a revived sense of who we are. Never forgetting where we came from, yet always mindful of what our decision today will bring us tomorrow. So we work, we love, we live, we strive to uphold our values of Strength in Unity, Honour in Justice.

To those who wanted us gone, we are still here. To those who looked for the day of our return we are here. To our new friends and allies in IAA, ODN, Athens, VE, NSO, Silence, and CD, we are grateful for your friendship and do not take it for granted. What is our future now? Only we, the proud members of GATO, will determine that. We are setting our course and looking ahead to brighter days. We never assume that methodologies can do what only relationships can.

It is both an honor and privilege to serve as the Assembly Chairman for GATO.

-Laserwolf
Assembly Chairman

As a veteran of the Commie Volunteer Force i still look back on my own participation in that war with immense pride, the camaraderie forged in the face of overwhelming odds will stay with me forever.

I remember all too well the day my Comrades and I departed from the CPCN to join GATO in its fight for survival, and despite our humble but doomed efforts the fact GATO stands free and independent means our collective sacrifice was not in vain. It was an honor to have fought under your banner GATO :wub:

[center][IMG]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/Cataduanes/500px-CVF_svg.png[/IMG][/center]

Congratulations to my friends in GATO. It has been a long road, and your rise to sanction once again (albeit short lived -- I'm sure you'll get it back soon) proves that you are once again a true powerhouse alliance. Well done.

[quote name='Dementual' date='15 April 2010 - 01:18 AM' timestamp='1271308712' post='2260981']
The memories are still vivid of the days of that war and the viceroyship that followed. Rare is the alliance that achieves the level of unity that the Global Alliance did during a time such as that. Rare.
[/quote]
I would offer the NPO as another example of an alliance that has strongly bonded after a military loss. (I'm sure the irony of that statement is readily apparent.) While we have not been "occupied" as such, I would argue that we too have paid a dear price for the past 8+ months. Perhaps our shared misery, though emanating from different causes and having different effects, will lead us to better understand each other and thereby increase our mutual respect.

[quote name='Londo Mollari' date='15 April 2010 - 02:30 AM' timestamp='1271313041' post='2261044']
o/ GATO

Freedom is a wonderful thing. :)
[/quote]
I couldn't have put it better myself, Londo.

[quote name='Kevlar' date='15 April 2010 - 01:32 AM' timestamp='1271309523' post='2260994']
Let's not forget baka.

o/ baka o/

-Kev
[/quote]
Indeed, o/ Sasquatch! :wub: I love you guys.

[quote name='Omniscient1' date='15 April 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1271368685' post='2261773']
We are the roaches of CN! Doesn't matter how many times you step on us we won't die. :P

o/ GATO
o/ Freedom
o/ new
o/ freinds in NPO
[/quote]
Thank you Omni. I look forward to developing our relationship. See you in #gato! Maybe you'll join us in #nsa sometime, too. :P