An attack upon IRON

Finster Baby

Forum attacks are very low and I hope that no-one here really needs this thread to tell them that. This is a game and DoS attacks are not part of it. Glad to hear there was no loss.

I don't think they're any lower than actively attempting to force people from the game. You oppress a huge upstart alliance that knows jack for **** about CN's conventions and community and what do you expect?

I'll disclaim here and say I'm not condoning this, but the feigned shock and outrage is hilarious and bewildering.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If folks are worried about the forums being so cluttered perhaps they should stop posting?

Finster, hopefully the guilty party will wind up in therapy instead of jail. They obviously have some issues if they take a game so seriously.

I wouldn't wish a DDOS on anyone's forum but why are you trying to make ingame waves with this? Pursue criminal charges and leave this crap out of the game.

I understand your feelings on our posting ES. This post was mainly to inform the public that our forums are back up and running and there was no data loss. We just decided to explain what happened while we were at it.

Between the OP, Sponge's post, and now Doitzel's, I'm very conflicted.

On the one hand, it's really really sad that people would break the law as a result of actions within this game. On the other hand, it's really really sad that people in this game would treat others so badly as to elicit such a drastic response.

:psyduck:

Blackstone would like to report that at 23:11 last night, we suffered an attack as well. Someone stole Blackstone's house pet "Spuds the Dog". We have not located the perpetrator, but we are happy to report that our dog managed to run away and has returned to us.

<waves waves, ripple ripple>

I don't think they're any lower than actively attempting to force people from the game. You oppress a huge upstart alliance that knows jack for **** about CN's conventions and community and what do you expect?

I'll disclaim here and say I'm not condoning this, but the feigned shock and outrage is hilarious and bewildering.

I see attacks on personal property as much worse than any in game action

Driving people out of the game transcends the game, does it not? And at any rate, you put stock in it for simply material reasons. What matters more than money is the attachment.

I think people tend to forget that they're not invincible and purely anonymous on the internet, and that being behind a computer screen does not give you carte blanche to act like a total dick. Actions have consequences - that is one constant that shall not change.

I think people tend to forget that they're not invincible and purely anonymous on the internet, and that being behind a computer screen does not give you carte blanche to act like a total dick. Actions have consequences - that is one constant that shall not change.

On this we agree Archon.

And yes, you're not as anonymous on the internet as you'd think.

Its really a shameful act. Unfortunately, it happens and I believe we should always stand united as a community in our firm public rejection of such acts and leave our IC persona (if there is a difference for some ppl I do not know) behind and their political agendas while coming together about this OOC matter in our united condemning of such acts.

On this we agree Archon.

And yes, you're not as anonymous on the internet as you'd think.

Aye, and while I realized I did not explicitly state it, there's also the flip side of that which has an equally vital implication - attempting to get revenge for a digital act by delving into "RL" opens you up to just as much of a response.

So at that, I do wish IRON the best in catching the perpetrators. I hope this was never in question.

Sad this kind of thing happened. Good luck with what ever options you follow. I hate it when a forum I visit goes down, it always messes up my schedule of things <_<. And I missed my embassy over there :P

Is it not our responsibility to ensure that the reaction is equtable to the action, rather than staggeringly out of proportion? If IRON's host went out and shot whoever did this would you say "that's the consequence of your action!"? Certainly it's a consequence, but why should it be allowed? Certainly there is guilt on both sides in that situation -- one overreaction breeds another. And so I would say that the overreaction of whomever did this was likely prompted by an overreaction on IRON's part, or else ignorance. I don't doubt that most people already have ideas forming in their heads as to who did this.

If we just chalk every reaction up to being a consequence, no matter how great or small, we're bound to create a greater tragedy. I think for the sake of keeping this game civil we'd all go a long way to keep each other in check both IC and OOC.

Back to your hate-fest, then.

I respect the OP's opinion over the appropriateness of this announcement, but I also completely share ES's thought on the issue: these forums are already cluttered enough.

Not really. This is something I feel is obligated to be mentioned - for future warnings to others. Though some of us need not this announcement, not everyone is logical enough to understand the consequences for such actions.

And so I would say that the overreaction of whomever did this was likely prompted by an overreaction on IRON's part, or else ignorance. I don't doubt that most people already have ideas forming in their heads as to who did this.

Since you have no way of knowing who is responsible how can you possibly comment on the conduct of the involved parties? For all you know this is the actions of a some rogue fool on the net who stumbled across our forums. Not all acts are provoked.

Furthermore even if you are applying your theory to the party you have insinuated as responsible I in no way see how we over reacted in any way shape or form. You seem to have gone soft on us Doitzel it seems that any reaction at all from any member of the Continuum is either an over reaction or an attack on the free world. I find it more likely that these attacks are an overreaction to a justified, valid and legal response from IRON.

It is truly sad to see some old players of the game trying to justify such OOC attacks indirectly. I cannot comprehend that how IRON's IC defensive actions will lead to such OOC actions and how low of an attempt it is to put a spin on this.

I hope the tiny entourage of these people do not take any ideas here to justify such criminal actions against anyone in future. These attacks can only be condemned unconditionally.

If one doesnt like the game? Dont play. Life goes on, game goes on, but attacking someone's personal property is truly a cowardly act. And again such attacks reaffirm our stand as righteous, that we are on the right side, fighting those who justify and those who harbor such criminal intentions and ability to act in such a way. Down with cyber terrorists.

o\ IRON.

Edited by shahenshah

I wouldn't wish a DDOS on anyone's forum but why are you trying to make ingame waves with this? Pursue criminal charges and leave this crap out of the game.

That's why this is in the OOC forum, Sponge. Of course, you have struggled with the distinction before, as I understand it.

Also, you have a quote by Mr. Jefferson in your signature. How ironic that a former Emperor sports such a quote in his signature.

I'll tell you what I told Junkalunka several months ago: You, sir, are no Mr. Jefferson.

On the other hand, it's really really sad that people in this game would treat others so badly as to elicit such a drastic response.

:v:

We don't know who it was. So I think that is jumping to a pretty big conclusion that we, in some way, "deserved" this attack as you may or may not have intended to imply.

Last I checked, we have not been at war with anyone since last year. All we've done recently is cancel a protectorate agreement with a group of people who were quite dishonest with us. *shrugs*

We agree here. Excellent advice.

This is why I generally try to treat people well on here unless they've really done something to deserve my disdain. I can only think of a couple of people in the game that have succeeded at earning my disdain (neither of them are in Vox -- sorry to disappoint).