An attack upon IRON

Finster Baby

That's an awful broad statement to make considering:

DoS for hire scam teen jailed for five years

and others here:

Google Search of DDoS punishments

Like the OP says it depends on what the ISP company does since it is their property that was attacked, probably not only affecting IRON but other customers of the ISP.

Can you link the report about the DevilDogs DDoSers?

Edited by Schattenmann

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fake internet alliance is hosted on someone's server..for which it pays to the business for providing the hosting facilities. So, when the fake internet alliance is attacked, the property of the hosting business is attacked, its customers suffer, its hosting services suffer, its bandwidth suffers, it looses real $. I am sure tho, only you will still come up with the same conclusion :).

Anywayz time to go, I hope such criminal activities do not happen against anyone ever.

I'd really love to see how great that will work in a courtroom.

I wish IRON the best in this matter but the reality is that the guys who took part in the DDOS are going to get away with it IRL.

DDOS attacks (and pretty much any other computer related crime) are only a felony if it causes $5,000 or more in damages. If it isn't a felony they're not going to bother tracking all these guys down, it takes them more time and money than it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act

Listen if alliances can use IPs and hostmasks to track down PZI listers, then why--outside of law--can't people DDoS attacks?

Oh I don't know, maybe because it illegal and an attempt to destroy RL property over a free online game? If a forum I owned were to be attacked in such a manner (thankfully I have not had to go through that) I would take every action available to me to find them and hold them accountable to the attack on my property. I would expect anyone to do the same.

If you hit my car and do damage, I expect you to pay for it. If you attack my forum and cause me to lose data, I expect you to pay for that to. If anyone can not make that connection then I suggest stepping away from CN for a while until you can tell the difference again.

Edited by RandomInterrupt

I wish IRON the best in this matter but the reality is that the guys who took part in the DDOS are going to get away with it IRL.

DDOS attacks (and pretty much any other computer related crime) are only a felony if it causes $5,000 or more in damages. If it isn't a felony they're not going to bother tracking all these guys down, it takes them more time and money than it's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act

I think trying for a criminal conviction is not nearly as entertaining as simply contacting the attackers ISP and having their Abuse department shut down their internet account. It can and does happen, and it is always hilarious.

I'd really love to see how great that will work in a courtroom.

I would too, except that since IRON isn't the one seeking to punish this person/persons in a court of law, I have a hunch I'll probably never see it. Remember people, IRON isn't pursuing legal action; I honestly don't see any way we could even if we wanted to. However, the person who owns the server might be. Our forums were down for over a day, meaning that the whole server was down for a day. And think of it from the owner's perspective; all they know is that their server was attacked. Does it matter why? Not really. If it caused enough damages, would they pursue legal action? I would, if I was the person who owned the server.

Name an instance where tC tracked and hunted players across rerolls using solely IP marks (Although Vox certainly tried that with me).

In any case the two are hardly equivalent. Besides the legal aspects, following someone's IP trail is hardly the same as attacking an ISP network and disrupting service, and trying to damage forums.

In a name, Jonathan Brookbank.

Granted, it is ONLY a game, but this is just another incidence that makes me very PROUD to be a member of IRON. We all take it seriously in our own ways, but it MUST stay within the confines of the game.

The guilty party/parties should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Cyber-Terrorism is no joke.

IRON is a well oiled machine. You inconvenienced us. Yes, granted. But in no way was the brief loss of our Forums a break in our command structure, our strengths, nor our Pride. You proved yourself a coward. Come out of Hippie mode/hiding, declare yourself, and find out why IRON is among the elite on Planet Bob!

FERRO CREDIMUS!

Okay everybody STOP. I think we've seemed to have gotten a bit lost here on our quest for truth. Let's put on our thinking caps, and analyze what's just happened here:

1. "Our boards were hacked by someone. They're back. Everything is the same as it was last week. So, let's turn this into a discussion-piece. <waves waves, ripple ripple>"

2. Talk about how bad that was.

3. Talk about pressing charges.

4. Talk about news articles where internet saboteurs are caught (because if it was a common thing, it wouldn't have made the news).

5. Talk about the legalities and the dissection of aforementioned action.

When in actuality, it's all discussion about absolutely nothing. Nothing was deleted or damaged. IRON is still functioning. Everything is the same as it was. Most of the responses are along the lines of "Oooooh. That's BAD", and "Pooor IRON", and less of ,"glad to see everything is exactly the same as last week".

It's like having a g/f that claims to be a victim to win over your sympathy and subconscious support. This is the only reason for posting a topic such as this. Please, don't play into it. Be smarter than that.

BTW: Glad to see that everything there is the same as it was last week.

And for crying out loud. The "victim" card is stale already. Think of another way to get people's sympathy for you. Maybe start some kind of a fire-wall drive for the needy.

Are you not a victim of the global hegemony trying to lead a "non-existant" alliance to topple said hegemony? :huh:

Edited by Brandon Simonson

Are you not a victim of the global hegemony trying to lead a "non-existant" alliance to topple said hegemony? :huh:

That could be said. But we're not crying about it either. We don't post topics about issues that have already been resolved for the purpose of inciting mindless sympathy for us. We are above that.

Granted, it is ONLY a game, but this is just another incidence that makes me very PROUD to be a member of IRON. We all take it seriously in our own ways, but it MUST stay within the confines of the game.

Having your forums attacked makes you proud to be an IRON member? Please explain your logic here.

The guilty party/parties should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Cyber-Terrorism is no joke.

Yes, they should. But it tends to be EXTREMELY hard to trace a botnet since they utilize thousands of compromised systems across the globe. Just write a simple script, drop it in a web page, email, maybe some forums via a software vulnerability, and you instantly have thousands of computers awaiting your orders. All from the comfort of your home.

IRON is a well oiled machine. You inconvenienced us. Yes, granted. But in no way was the brief loss of our Forums a break in our command structure, our strengths, nor our Pride. You proved yourself a coward. Come out of Hippie mode/hiding, declare yourself, and find out why IRON is among the elite on Planet Bob!

How do you even know that the person who attacked your forums is a member of CyberNations? I'm 99% positive that you're using shared hosting. Which means there are hundreds, if not thousands of web sites hosted on the server you're on. Any one of those could have pissed someone off, causing the dDoS attack. Or hell, maybe the entire data-center's connection was clogged via the dDoS. Only the hosting provider knows.

IRON is just as guilty for blurring the IC/OOC line by making this announcement within a roleplay forum.

That could be said. But we're not crying about it either. We don't post topics about issues that have already been resolved for the purpose of inciting mindless sympathy for us. We are above that.

But if your purpose for being is said victimization, isn't your existence and quest a blatant whining of your previous fate through a different medium of expression?

Edit: darn missing 'r's

Edited by Brandon Simonson

Funny, I don't remember any of you giving support to banned member when her laptop was hacked during UJW

Regardless, DDoS attacking is dumb and to be quite honest, I don't see what anyone could benefit from it bar a few laughs and giggles. And while I know it's a stretch to link illegal activities to OOC tracking of players on CN, I think people might want to revisit their thinking on that issue. If it's a GAME and you all are staying IC then why follow a person through OOC means in order to attack his/her new IC persona when your IC character shouldn't have access to that info.

But if your purpose for being is said victimization, isn't your existence and quest a blatant whining of your previous fate through a different medium of expression?

Edit: darn missing 'r's

You said that, not us. Our purpose for being is not victimization. It is mission-oriented. Here, there is no place for victims. Hence my response. Please pay attention.

I guess in this situation, IRON is that emo kid that lives in the suburb with his parents. And they bought him a new Volvo to drive. But someone stole his iPod. So his life is horrrrrrible and he's a victim to society.

In Demeanor's situation, he's the kid that lives on a farm, gets up at 3 AM every morning to milk the cows, drives a rusted out 82 Chevy pickup, and has been saving money since he was six so he could go to college and improve his life.

Both are "victims," I guess.

I guess in this situation, IRON is that emo kid that lives in the suburb with his parents. And they bought him a new Volvo to drive. But someone stole his iPod. So his life is horrrrrrible and he's a victim to society.

In Demeanor's situation, he's the kid that lives on a farm, gets up at 3 AM every morning to milk the cows, drives a rusted out 82 Chevy pickup, and has been saving money since he was six so he could go to college and improve his life.

And Jason is the kid that hangs out at coffee shops and pretends to know everything thinking that he will get a victimized g/f based on his antics.

And Jason is the kid that hangs out at coffee shops and pretends to know everything thinking that he will get a victimized g/f based on his antics.

...I love emo chicks. It's true.

But a coffee shop? Hell no! I was in a Starbucks once, and to this day, I can't figure out why someone would spend $8.99 on a cup of coffee.

I prefer hanging out at the race track. There's always a better breed of woman wandering the pits. ;)

What? :o I'd retort but I don't want to go further from the purpose of this thread. (Seriously, I'm confused at what you were getting at)

It's a game people. While I don't like some people IC, I wouldn't try to screw up their hosting or hack them. That's just childish and somewhat pathetic.