An attack upon IRON

Finster Baby

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? :o I'd retort but I don't want to go further from the purpose of this thread. (Seriously, I'm confused at what you were getting at)

It's a game people. While I don't like some people IC, I wouldn't try to screw up their hosting or hack them. That's just childish and somewhat pathetic.

What I'm getting at is that IRON pretty much has the world in their hands. But they took something that happened OOC that most likely has NOTHING to do with CyberNations and made it into something IC so people can feel sorry for them. Sounds like an emo kid, doesn't it?

Jason, if one of those emo chicks stole a cookie from you for a day, and then gave it back, would you feel obligated to inform us all?

Emo chicks don't steal cookies. They don't think they're good enough for the cookie, so they leave the cookie lying where it is.

However, I might have to start linking OOC events that affect my life to my alliance and make announcements about it.

(The cookie would be stale after a day, and that would be laaaaaaame)

OOC methods shouldn't be used against people for IC things. I have zero sympathy for anyone doing this kind of thing regardless of any IC issues they might have faced. Everyone should be able to play the game (after all it is just a game) without having to worry about safeguarding themselves from people using OOC info and methods against them.

This also applies to chasing re-rolls via IP information and such.

What I'm getting at is that IRON pretty much has the world in their hands. But they took something that happened OOC that most likely has NOTHING to do with CyberNations and made it into something IC so people can feel sorry for them. Sounds like an emo kid, doesn't it?

Emo chicks don't steal cookies. They don't think they're good enough for the cookie, so they leave the cookie lying where it is.

However, I might have to start linking OOC events that affect my life to my alliance and make announcements about it.

(The cookie would be stale after a day, and that would be laaaaaaame)

Did you just launch a denial attack on the point I was making? Somebody !! Please give me sympathy. I'm now a victim.

Edit: That's sarcasm for you tC guys.

Edited by Windsor

...you know what I could say to this but I won't or else you'll gain IC sympathy :P

No, WarriorConcept, I do not sleep with my sister.

Just no.

OOC methods shouldn't be used against people for IC things. I have zero sympathy for anyone doing this kind of thing regardless of any IC issues they might have faced. Everyone should be able to play the game (after all it is just a game) without having to worry about safeguarding themselves from people using OOC info and methods against them.

I couldn't agree more. However, the "OOC" card is only used when things become advantageous to the offending party. IP tracing, OOC attacks, the list goes on.

Edited by Jason8

Personally, I agree. But what was done here was an intentional incitement of public sympathy. The issue was over with before post #1 was submitted. So, if using this as a PR stunt to gain sympathy isn't the main purpose behind this topic, then what is?

Honestly, I have zero sympathy for cry-babies that cry even after they get their pacifier back.

"Pacifier". Heh.

You don't check to see if an applicant is a reroll of a banned member?

Why would he? It's the game moderation's job to catch banned members, not alliances. Being able to log into the game is the only check you need to do.

Granted, as members of the community, it's our job to report banned members if we find out they're playing. 98% of the time, they don't tell you.

There is nothing wrong with making this post. It's a warning to future perpetrators that this is not the appropriate route to take for in-game actions, as it can lead to criminal charges. Makes it less likely to happen in the future.

There is nothing wrong with making this post. It's a warning to future perpetrators that this is not the appropriate route to take for in-game actions, as it can lead to criminal charges. Makes it less likely to happen in the future.

How do you figure this? And why not just post a topic entitled, "Future Perpetrators, BE WARNED", and then for an opening statement say, "here's some stuff you already know: um.... it's bad.... and.... it makes you a criminal, and... um..... we really can't stop you."

Know why? Because it's pointless and idiotic. And if you think this post would make it less likely to happen in the future, then why aren't posts such as these everywhere you look?

Because it's pointless and idiotic. You know what wouldn't be? Not addressing resolved issues to incite mindless sympathy for absolutely nothing.

Between the OP, Sponge's post, and now Doitzel's, I'm very conflicted.

On the one hand, it's really really sad that people would break the law as a result of actions within this game. On the other hand, it's really really sad that people in this game would treat others so badly as to elicit such a drastic response.

:psyduck:

Echoed my sentiments exactly.

Sorry about your forums, IRON, but I can't believe you didn't expect something like this to happen to you eventually.

I hope the responsible individual/s is/are found and prosecuted. Taking OOC actions like this are despicable.

EDIT:

Jason...who are you kidding? There would be no reason for anyone to attack their forums other than IC. AND I like coffee shops! :P

Edited by Chalaskan

* Jason8 waves his e-peen around

If you don't want your boards to be attacked, don't give people a reason to attack them! ;)

So all we need to do it not piss anyone off anymore?

Guess no more alliance wars because that may annoy one of their memeber. No turning down a treaty offer for the same reason. Defend our members against random attacks? That may piss off the attacker so no more of that. Some random person demanded aid off you? Guess you'll have to send it no matter how rude they are; after all refusing them regardless of how politely you do it may offend them

What warrants the attack is based entirely on the opinion of the attacker. It could be because of a war they don't agree with or an argument over soda pop. Or it could be just because their life is miserable and they find trying to inflict a small part of their misery on others amusing.

Edit: Spell check failed me.

Edited by rand0m her0

So all we need to do it not piss anyone off anymore?

Guess no more alliance wars because that may annoy one of their memeber. No turning down a treaty offer for the same reason. Defend our members against random attacks? That may piss off the attacker so no more of that. Some random person demanded aid off you? Guess you'll have to send it no matter how rude they are; after all refusing them regardless of how politely you do it may offend them

What warrants the attack is based entirely on the opinion of the attacker. It could be because of a war they don't agree with or an argument over soda pop. Or it could be just because their life is miserable and they find trying to inflict a small part of their misery on others amusing.

Edit: Spell check failed me.

OR - (and this may sound like a radical idea) - get better security, and a box of tissue so that when someone takes something away from you, and then gives it back in the same condition, we don't have to hear you guys cry about it in front of everyone.

Better security? Perhaps that's the right move - a move that would be considered "intelligent". Honestly, most of us could care less how you solve your own internal issues. I think the biggest issue that's affecting IRON at this point, is the topics it posts. You lost your forums, you got them back - nothing was deleted, everything is exactly the way it was.

Get over it. Stop being emo.

Good to hear. Hope the guy(s) at least gets an account suspension.

[ooc]

I don't even understand how some of you can condone this, or say it's understandable or to be expected. If someone broke into my house and attacked me because they didn't like my alliance, would you all be saying that was okay too, because my alliance was hostile? That's absurd.

A DDoS doesn't just affect the site you jam. Someone infected a lot of people's real life property to pull this off. Those infected people might not even play CN. So an ISP and a lot of folks' computers got attacked/infected, in real life, over moves made in a game. No one playing this game deserves to be real life attacked over it, just as folks hosting this game do not deserve to have their servers attacked, and ordinary people (whether playing or not) certainly don't deserve to have their computers infected so some guy can get his jollies by jamming a forum.[/ooc]

You can't be jailed for DDOS'ing someone's website unless doing so causes substantial financial loss to the owner. Also, if it was a DDOS, then there's no way anything can be done. The packets would be traced back to the botnet and stop there.

In short, LOL @ jailing someone for packeting a video game forum.

And $%&@ you to whoever's doing it. Leave our orange homies alone.

I love how everyone's assuming that this was CN-related. It was the HOST that was attacked. If you can find a host for me, that only hosts CN-related sites and forums, then you might be on to something.

This further advances the evidence that this topic was entirely unnecessary.

Listen, I'm against tracking players across rerolls and that sort of shady stuff, but to flat out say because of the OOC/IC line no action should be taken against people that OOC attack your property is over the top. Someone mentioned earlier about banned members laptop being hacked, and if that happened to me I sure would want some IC ramifications for the !@#$% that would pull that kind of thing.

They're the ones that decided to take OOC action over an IC event, and they should be willing to face OOC and/or IC consequences for their actions.

I love how everyone's assuming that this was CN-related. It was the HOST that was attacked. If you can find a host for me, that only hosts CN-related sites and forums, then you might be on to something.

This further advances the evidence that this topic was entirely unnecessary.

IRON, the NPO, and the NpO's forums have all gone down within a relatively short period of time. All three of these alliances are engaged in conflict with Jarheads, an alliance whose previous incarnation participated in DDoS attacks. What assumption would you make from those facts? Edited by cookavich