Martyrdom

Unknown Smurf

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1351976310' post='3048123']
Keep poking sunshine. Tell me, who is going to roll my alliance and who are you to set the line? Oh right, no one because you can't speak for TOP right? Go play your antics to another crowd. You are not the Hulk, the NPO isn't GOD regardless of how you have been idolized for being a super rogue /yawn.
[/quote]

Uh, I'm not going to go rogue on NPO because you guys are irrelevant. I just see what's coming and find it laughable that you are acting all badass. It's not 2007 any more bro.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Vladimir Stukov II' timestamp='1351975263' post='3048113']
Who the hell are you to expect anything of TOP? You are just the leader of a has been alliance. An alliance that is going to be rolled soon for stepping out of line.
[/quote]
OMG, Lol'd so hard at this. I think we can just close this thread now and go home. :lol1:

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1351974240' post='3048104']
Do not start the "Unwanted Aggression" propaganda. It has no place here and I for one expect better out of TOP.

Kestrel, there is never a time I require mediation. While I thank you for offering, IC and I will handle this.
[/quote]

Now if only Kestral had been the one to offer the mediation :P

[quote name='Vladimir Stukov II' timestamp='1351975263' post='3048113']
Who the hell are you to expect anything of TOP? You are just the leader of a has been alliance. An alliance that is going to be rolled soon for stepping out of line.
[/quote]

Those sound like fighting words. I might watch those if I were you. They might give someone the wrong impression.

For somebody who has been around for awhile, Vlad is showing an amazing ability to ignore fundamental reality. And the reality is the world is not your playground anymore. Continue pretending otherwise to your detriment.

[quote name='Igumen' timestamp='1351973896' post='3048100']
This. Perhaps suicide-bombers - who would call themselves "martyrs" - have caused the word to lose the above meaning, as they are all about "taking down" people[/quote]

Well, all the more reason to correct the matter. Suicide bombers calling themselves martyers are wrong. Better word is kamikaze.

And in terms of acting as a kamikaze - no, no one I dislike that much at the moment, and even if that were to change, "Course, that ain't exactly plan A" still applies. Going the route of a kamikaze should be one of those very last resort things, if at all.

Edited by White Chocolate

[quote name='Rush Sykes' timestamp='1351960888' post='3048041']
In a word, yes. Fortunately, when I rogue you, we will have better drama. I only hope someone aids me in secret. Maybe you could?
[/quote]
There will be less drama, only casualties, and it will be glorious.

Now back to your regularly scheduled "make a mountain out of a molehill" session.

[quote name='Vladimir Stukov II' timestamp='1351976542' post='3048125']
Uh, I'm not going to go rogue on NPO because you guys are irrelevant. I just see what's coming and find it laughable that you are acting all badass. It's not 2007 any more bro.
[/quote]

No its 2012 and some people have managed to turn almost all of Planet Bob against them. And just a hint, it is not NPO this time.

[quote name='White Chocolate' timestamp='1351971930' post='3048093']
Taking your OP just at face value (minus the latest drama that other people have suggested it's actually about), martyrdom is not about hate, it's the opposite. It's about defending some belief or some person/people/group that you care enough about at the sacrifice of one's life (closest thing in CN in terms of the loss of life being EZI).

Also, I don't see it as something that one chooses, but rather a choice forced upon the person to either take some act (or stop some act) or else die. It's not about "taking down" anyone - it's about defense.

*snip*[/quote]

While I understand your premise my intention but I sort of disagree; it is a choice, as you alluded to, the choice is choosing to act or not. Following the definition: "defending some belief or some person/people/group that you care enough about at the sacrifice of one's life" -- the life is the nation as you said, I think ZI or PZI also fits rather than EZI only.

When making this topic the decision I was considering was whether to in-game spy on the nation that I suspected of sending secret aid to the rogue. I could have sacrificed my nation (risked ZI by spying on a MK member who was in the upper reaches of my NS range -- I was actually going to build up a little -- and I only had 50% odds on). The belief was that I thought MK deserved should be rolled over this action.. Does that make sense?

[quote name='Sardonic' timestamp='1351985103' post='3048219']
The attempts to discredit MK seem to get more and more lackluster as time goes on. This would be "a thing" if MK's government was condoning the actions, or enticing people to do them, but they aren't.

So, yeah.
[/quote]

Always ruining my fun Sard..

The attempts to discredit MK seem to get more and more lackluster as time goes on. This would be "a thing" if MK's government was condoning the actions, or enticing people to do them, but they aren't.

So, yeah.
[/quote]

I frakken hate it when I agree with a statement from the GOONS, but yeah Sardonic hits the nail on the head.
Don't be so greedy for war that you set a precident that is unrealistic.

[quote name='Feanor Noldorin' timestamp='1351953784' post='3048012']
I too pray for the success of these talks and hope the individuals involved in the mediation process can keep their tempers in check. I would hate for unwanted aggression to befall my friends in the Kingdom.
[/quote]
I, for one, look forward to any aggression against the kindgom.

[quote name='Unknown Smurf' timestamp='1351983271' post='3048195']When making this topic the decision I was considering was whether to in-game spy on the nation that I suspected of sending secret aid to the rogue. I could have sacrificed my nation (risked ZI by spying on a MK member who was in the upper reaches of my NS range -- I was actually going to build up a little -- and I only had 50% odds on). The belief was that I thought MK deserved should be rolled over this action.. Does that make sense?
[/quote]

Knowing the specific situation helps. The questions I have for you in that case are

1) What are your motivation(s) for considering the in-game spy attack? (there can be more than one - but you mentioned hate in the OP so when I read it I assumed that was the motivation)

2) What would you have done IF you did do the spy attack and got caught and MK in response decided something along the lines of PZI, EZI or EoMK (i.e. like the GOONS EoG list)?

In terms of ZI, being willing to risk ZI for a cause is the duty, in my opinion, of a good soldiers and qualifies you as such. It's the difference between average commitment to a cause and true loyalty.

martyrdom, on the other hand, requires passion for some cause so strong that the person decides NOT to change his or her action or retract a belief in the face of a response that almost everyone else would surrender to stop or avoid. That's why being a martyr is often associated with religion, because there are examples of people suffering in ways the majority of us would not (i.e. most people would at least give lip service to converting) due to their religious beliefs.

Edited by White Chocolate

So, yeah.
[/quote]

[color=#EE82EE][b]Exhibit A -> [/b][/color][url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=94443&st=0"]http://forums.cybern...opic=94443&st=0[/url]

Discuss...

Edited by King Wally

[quote name='King Wally' timestamp='1351989665' post='3048288']
[color=#EE82EE][b]Exhibit A -> [/b][/color][url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=94443&st=0"]http://forums.cybern...opic=94443&st=0[/url]

Discuss...
[/quote]

Oh wow you quoted a 2-year old thread in which one of the key figures has since then become a member of the NPO and before that TOP. You must be so badass.

[quote name='King Wally' timestamp='1351989665' post='3048288']

Discuss...
[/quote]

Sorry, but I don't understand. How is this relevant?