The Grey Council turns six

I would like to thank all the people who have congratulated us on reaching this milestone.

As for the individuals who have taken the opportunity for sneering at the Grey Council for allegedly not contributing to Digiterra, I have the following to say:

I could defend our position by talking about the rogues we have fought, the ideas that we have pioneered, or the alliance level wars in which one party tried to exploit our reputation for neutrality to get at their rivals. But that wouldn't be enough for you. You would look to find fault because that's what you always do. We live by our own rules and we have never caused any harm, so you have no excuse for your behaviour. Why do you think that we are in some way obliged to provide entertainment for the jaundiced OWF regulars?

Nation numbers have seen a long term decline. Meanwhile the OWF has become so vindictive and poisonous that it is no longer possible even for the Grey Council to make a harmless birthday announcement without getting trolled. The people who would troll a birthday announcement made by an alliance that has never transgressed against them really need to think about what contribution THEY are making and why they think such behaviour is laudable.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Derwood1' timestamp='1332216925' post='2940530']
LMAO, I clicked the first 10 nations and Brycheiniog has the most casualties with 851,784. His nation is 6 years old mine is 1 and I have nearly that many casualties just to point out one example. I honestly don't get what neutrals are doing on Bob. Continue on paying and collecting GC.

So Enderland try again ;)
[/quote]
I have never fought in an inter-alliance war (unless one counts TE), and I have never tech raided anyone. Would you mind telling me where my nation picked up those casualties if we aren't having to deal with nuclear rogues? Did a New Year's sale get out of hand perhaps? I might add that I have never understood the fashion for boasting about how many casualties one's nation has picked up. Would I be regarded as a military expert if I marched a few thousand soldiers off a cliff out of sheer stupidity?

As I have said, we play the way we want to play and we do no harm to anybody. You need to accept that there are people out there who do not think of this game as a war simulation and even (shock, horror) prefer to use diplomacy to resolve a crisis. If you love war that much, go a few rounds in tournament edition.

[quote name='Mark Reynolds' timestamp='1332219021' post='2940545']
I have never fought in an inter-alliance war (unless one counts TE), and I have never tech raided anyone. Would you mind telling me where my nation picked up those casualties if we aren't having to deal with nuclear rogues? Did a New Year's sale get out of hand perhaps? I might add that I have never understood the fashion for boasting about how many casualties one's nation has picked up. Would I be regarded as a military expert if I marched a few thousand soldiers off a cliff out of sheer stupidity?

As I have said, we play the way we want to play and we do no harm to anybody. You need to accept that there are people out there who do not think of this game as a war simulation and even (shock, horror) prefer to use diplomacy to resolve a crisis. If you love war that much, go a few rounds in tournament edition.
[/quote]

I have no problem with you doing what you want I just don't get it. CN is widely regarded as a sucky nation simulator. The best part of the game is the politics and the politics derived from conflict on Bob and you refuse to participate in anything other then pay and collect from my point of view. Honestly this is the first post I can remember from a GC member.

In the spirit of good sportsmanship though...Happy Birthday!

edit: [quote]Cyber Nations is currently too busy to process your request at this time. Please try again later[/quote]

You guys need to stop synchronizing your bill paying/tax collecting, it is bogging down the servers!!

Edited by Derwood1

[quote name='Derwood1' timestamp='1332219293' post='2940548']
I have no problem with you doing what you want I just don't get it. CN is widely regarded as a sucky nation simulator. The best part of the game is the politics and the politics derived from conflict on Bob and you refuse to participate in anything other then pay and collect from my point of view. Honestly this is the first post I can remember from a GC member.

In the spirit of good sportsmanship though...Happy Birthday!

edit:

You guys need to stop synchronizing your bill paying/tax collecting, it is bogging down the servers!!
[/quote]
I understand that you have a different approach to this game, and I'm relaxed about that as long as you don't start attacking our nations. I personally find the warfare system to be somewhat rudimentary and counter-intuitive, and I don't get much enjoyment out of that side of the game.

It is understandable that this is the first time you have seen a GC member post on the OWF. In view of how partisan most OWF threads are, there is little desire among neutral alliances to take part in the debate. After all, there isn't much point in publically declaring your neutrality in a debate or war that has absolutely nothing to do with you when both sides already assume that you aren't going to get involved.

Well done, you have clicked far less then the average war loving alliance has clicked. In fact...I think this is a more impressive feat simply because the lack of war is suppose to be "boring" yet you still exist and other war lovers fail.

Anyway, little personal story. Back in The Immortals, I went recruiting. Typed none in the search and fired off messages until I realized I didnt change the search to Alliance. OOHHHHH !@#$ BOYEE. So I messaged the few alliance guys I messaged and apologized and one of them was King Charlemagne of GC. We exchanged daily messages for over a year I believe. He disappeared from this world without saying goodbye and I must say I miss them messages.

[quote name='Mark Reynolds' timestamp='1332188616' post='2940305']
Today represents the sixth anniversary of the Grey Council posting its declaration of existence, which can still be read at [url="http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/index.php?showtopic=1833"]http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/index.php?showtopic=1833[/url]
[/quote]

I remember it. I am old. So are you. Well done on your survival.

[quote name='Mark Reynolds' timestamp='1332217783' post='2940536']
I would like to thank all the people who have congratulated us on reaching this milestone.

As for the individuals who have taken the opportunity for sneering at the Grey Council for allegedly not contributing to Digiterra, I have the following to say:

I could defend our position by talking about the rogues we have fought, the ideas that we have pioneered, or the alliance level wars in which one party tried to exploit our reputation for neutrality to get at their rivals. But that wouldn't be enough for you. You would look to find fault because that's what you always do. We live by our own rules and we have never caused any harm, so you have no excuse for your behaviour. Why do you think that we are in some way obliged to provide entertainment for the jaundiced OWF regulars?

Nation numbers have seen a long term decline. Meanwhile the OWF has become so vindictive and poisonous that it is no longer possible even for the Grey Council to make a harmless birthday announcement without getting trolled. The people who would troll a birthday announcement made by an alliance that has never transgressed against them really need to think about what contribution THEY are making and why they think such behaviour is laudable.
[/quote]

You put this in much better words than I ever could have yesterday when I really wanted to say something about some of the responses here. But I thought, eh, I'm just a nobody in another do-nothing alliance. :rolleyes:

On that note, I wish the nations of The Grey Council a very happy 6th birthday! :)

edit: added a big, shiny smiley face for emphasis

Edited by Phineas

[quote name='Derwood1' timestamp='1332216925' post='2940530']
LMAO, I clicked the first 10 nations and Brycheiniog has the most casualties with 851,784. His nation is 6 years old mine is 1 and I have nearly that many casualties just to point out one example. I honestly don't get what neutrals are doing on Bob. Continue on paying and collecting GC.

So Enderland try again ;)
[/quote]

Oh right, I forgot casualties are only caused by rogues and so anyone with lots of casualties just have been rouged a lot.

Silly me!

Congratulations Grey Council, you have maintained a consistent and classy position for six years and that is to your credit. Detractors of neutrality ignore that it is clearly one of the most successful FA policies of all the possibilities that this world has imagined so far. The Cult of Justitia will always support your right to exist as you choose to do so, and gladly recognizes you as an example of true commitment. On behalf of myself and my brothers, here's to six more years. :cheers:

I read the DoE. It says that GC was founded on the grey "sphere" so as to not be involved in preexisting team based wars. Today, the different spheres are basically meaningless. Might it be time for GC to leave grey and get a color/+5 happiness?