Best. War. Ever.

Hyperion321

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SWAT128' timestamp='1295989179' post='2600863']
I fear with both wars going on that lighter terms will not be the case. They will both probably be long, drawn out wars that end with very harsh terms and the people on top will extend their ns lead over those on the bottom.
[/quote]
[color="#0000FF"]I meant for the alliances not in the core. One or two harsh terms won't strangle CN. When it's done to everyone, sidelining them and preventing them from rebuilding for close to a year, then there is a problem. Personally, I enjoyed playing an antagonist in NPO. But I gave that up a long time ago. When you win, you can only be so harsh before it just becomes bad gamesmanship and grief. That line, unfortunately, many do not seem to recognize when they cross it. Or for some who do, they just don't care. One to three months of terms is more than adequate. Longer than that and you should take a long hard look at what you're doing, especially if you're among those complaining about why it takes so long for things to happen around here.[/color]

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1295989307' post='2600870']
I agree. This will probably end up being the most even war in years.
[/quote]

No it won't. The only reason your comment has the remotest amount of believability is that previous wars were pretty much all gigantic curbstomps.

[quote name='Branimir' timestamp='1295990097' post='2600898']
My point was fairly simple, players in general don't like to lose so find the experience less fun. So they usually do not open threads about "most.epic.war.ever.z", it is those who are wining. Hence my point about it depending on perception of the situation. All self explanatory really.
[/quote]

The NoCB War was my favourite war by far, and that was despite losing and, at the time, expecting my alliance to not recieve terms. That being said, the period after a defeat is usually terrible.

[quote name='Aeternos Astramora' timestamp='1295989402' post='2600873']
http://tinyurl.com/cnwarsides

It's my favorite because this has to be the most even war that I've ever been in (which goes back to GWIII).

Edit: I must give credit to WickedJ, who did most of that.
[/quote]
oh wow that is really close. :) should be fun.

[quote name='Aeternos Astramora' timestamp='1295992137' post='2600956']Edit: Granted, as you say, VE side certainly has the better upper tier.[/quote]
The two sides are not even (VE/PB/MK/etc having the advantage) but the difference is smaller than in most of the previous global wars.
The side at a disadvantage (Orders) arguably had the time and competence to prepare for a long, drawn-out war, thus - if the war goes long enough - we could see the losing side's big, prepared nations, being pushed down the NS ladder and then having quite an easy and fun time with the winning side's lower, necessarily less prepared nations. Although FAN has also to be considered.
This phenomenon isn't actually new: I remember information as old as Grub's account of his experience in Q vs BLEU and we all saw it in action with The Grämlins vs IRON conflict. Even I had my small share of first-hand experience of it when fighting Matt Miller with a 7k Tech disadvantage, and certainly I wasn't the first in such a mess. This might be the first instance in which it happens on a [i]really wide[/i] scale, though.

One would imagine that it's one of the biggest concern for VE/PB/MK/etc: it's not nice when your recruits aren't allowed to exist and you can do nothing about it, although of course we still need to first see if the Orders' side actually prepared for their share of "CN Vietnam".
It might come out that Ramirus Maximus wasn't completely wrong when he was (more or less, IIRC) stating that he was "testing" new ways...

Its a crap war started by setting up Polar to draw NPO into a fight. When they didnt bite they were just attacked for no reason. This was the best plan the so called leaders of Hegemony could come up with in nearly 2 years? For me the WoTC was the best war, boy did the Karma alliances squirm and cry :lol1:

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1296048171' post='2602621']
The two sides are not even (VE/PB/MK/etc having the advantage) but the difference is smaller than in most of the previous global wars.
The side at a disadvantage (Orders) arguably had the time and competence to prepare for a long, drawn-out war, thus - if the war goes long enough - we could see the losing side's big, prepared nations, being pushed down the NS ladder and then having quite an easy and fun time with the winning side's lower, necessarily less prepared nations. Although FAN has also to be considered.
This phenomenon isn't actually new: I remember information as old as Grub's account of his experience in Q vs BLEU and we all saw it in action with The Grämlins vs IRON conflict. Even I had my small share of first-hand experience of it when fighting Matt Miller with a 7k Tech disadvantage, and certainly I wasn't the first in such a mess. This might be the first instance in which it happens on a [i]really wide[/i] scale, though.

One would imagine that it's one of the biggest concern for VE/PB/MK/etc: it's not nice when your recruits aren't allowed to exist and you can do nothing about it, although of course we still need to first see if the Orders' side actually prepared for their share of "CN Vietnam".
It might come out that Ramirus Maximus wasn't completely wrong when he was (more or less, IIRC) stating that he was "testing" new ways...
[/quote]

Low ns fighting builds character. Hell, 2 of the 3 months we fought NPO was pretty much only 15k and below. I was 3k ns when Karma started, learned all my tactical skills there, and now I am 120k and well prepared, and am able to be the one knocking people down. Our new members will go through the same trials many Viridians have, and many will emerge better for it.

Be more worried for Polar and Pacifica. They're low tech to infra ratio nations, and that does not bode well for the true damage output they can do on the way down.

[quote name='Alterego' timestamp='1296054799' post='2602715']
Its a crap war started by setting up Polar to draw NPO into a fight. When they didnt bite they were just attacked for no reason. This was the best plan the so called leaders of Hegemony could come up with in nearly 2 years? For me the WoTC was the best war, boy did the Karma alliances squirm and cry :lol1:
[/quote]
Look who is crying now though.

[quote name='Trinite' timestamp='1295980525' post='2600586']
Defense departments love this war. FA departments do not. I will admit it is epic... but then again so was Gilgamesh, and that was really boring get through and ended in tragedy if I remember correctly. For now, yes this is quite fun, and I am thoroughly enjoying it, but for the future... we shall see.
[/quote]By these categorizations, I am a defence department. I'm also quite confident that the future of this game is very bright.

Edited by Solaris

If everyone can walk away happy, or at least feeling like they tried their best and now its time to rebuild, and if we don't see the often repeated cycle of "reparations" designed not so much to make whole what was lost but merely put someone out of action long term, then this will indeed be "the best war ever" and real change will have taken place.

Additional notes: VE's cheesy CB has been a blessing to those who didn't want to see a simple curb stomp...no side here is 100% in the wrong or 100% in the right if we're all being honest, and this war is probably the easiest ever in terms of having a clear conscious about pushing the war button. If some dislike the aggressive play of the MK side, then you have plenty of opportunity to do something about it. If you prefer to sit it out and wait to see if your alliance, undamaged by all the brawling, comes out ahead in the end, then there's even room for you and plenty of popcorn. There's also a tiny bit of space for some payback for past b.s., though if we keep it to things that happened after 2007, that's probably be good...

...anyway, it's been fun to watch, fun to comment on and make pointed remarks about and hopefully we'll all look back on it one day and be glad we were here for it.

[quote name='Aeternos Astramora' timestamp='1295991613' post='2600942']
The [i]best conceivable scenario[/i] for VE is that Duckroll, MHA, Fark, TOP, and a few others come in and only TOOL, TPF, and Legion go in for NPpO. In that scenario, the ratio of NS is still only 1.46 in favor of VE.

Assuming IRON, Fark, MHA, and TOP stay out while TOOL, TPF, and Legion go in for NPpO, the NS ratio is only 1.05 in favor of VE.
[/quote]

Also consider the smaller alliances that put together do make up a good chunk of NS on their side. So yeah, I agree, this war will be the most even sided war in years. You could also say NEW, FEAR (BFF) will side on Polars side. There's about 10mill NS, or more. Is NADC even at war yet?

Look for moar NS Polar, it's there!@!!

IMO, far from an end-game this is probably the best opportunity we've had for resurgence in years. Everyone is getting equally screwed pretty much because of grudges (not unlike the Citrus War and GW1) and if we all fight long and hard enough it can pretty much simulate enough of a reset to make it actually worth while to recruit people from off-site.

I'm actually kinda excited.