• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Zombie Glaucon' timestamp='1287117789' post='2485040']
Ha! Illustrates my point quite nicely.
[/quote]

How does that illustrate your point? I'm not even in PB :3

Or maybe you're frightened of one man micros rolling people who knows?

Edited by Mr Damsky

[quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1287117875' post='2485043']

[/quote]

But you [i]look[/i] like you might be in PB, and assertive discussion is [i]exactly[/i] like a curbstomp. I'm surprised you don't see that.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1287117875' post='2485043']

[/quote]

We haven't gotten into any wars over any kind of grudge for a very long time. The idea that we're a "grudge-settling" alliance is, in itself, a pretty old grudge to hold.

I just assumed from your chirping that you must be in PB. My mistake.

[quote name='Pingu' timestamp='1287118000' post='2485044']
But you [i]look[/i] like you might be in PB, and assertive discussion is [i]exactly[/i] like a curbstomp. I'm surprised you don't see that.
[/quote]

Damn you caught me. See you at update Polaris!

[quote name='Zombie Glaucon' timestamp='1287118037' post='2485046']
We haven't gotten into any wars over any kind of grudge for a very long time.
[/quote]

How does the Kool-Aid taste?

Edited by Mr Damsky

[quote name='Teddyyo' timestamp='1287061712' post='2484407']
I only asked because it sounded awfully like another alliance leader that I happen to be 2nd in command to. I got the anwsers I expected, and so now I smirk :) I'm not [i]totally[/i] clueless here, I know how to deal with Moldavis and Batallions after a couple years being under one :)

Tedd.
[/quote]
The idea of Batallion and Ivan being comparable made me lol.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1287118889' post='2485053']
I'm sure your war against \m/ had nothing to do with old grudges. Nothing at all.
[/quote]

That's your example? Idiocy.

We would never come for \m/ out of some historical grudge. Of course you're already "sure" that that couldn't possibly be the case, but it's a fact. If they do stuff we don't like and are willing to go to war over, we might go to war over it, but that's not a grudge in any non-MatthewPK sense of the word.

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1287118828' post='2485052']
The idea of Batallion and Ivan being comparable made me lol.
[/quote]
[OOC]Founding and running the SC clan that was the most powerful for two years is pretty impressive given the nature of SC. [/OOC]

Regardless, I was discussing their attitudes, no offense to either. They both always think they know right, and nearly always are.

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1287107076' post='2484895']
Very nice artwork. I look forward to seeing what a world under you will look like. Somehow I doubt we will see a period of peace like Continuum ushered in.
[/quote]
I think the continuum was founded as ushering in a new era of peace because it was really untouchable. Half the alliances knew they'd be at odds with one another sooner or later and were using it as a political tool, rather than a bloc of friends. Ironically, many of them went to war with GPA because they were such a terrible threat to world peace.

This bloc is made as friends, not in an attempt to be protected against polar, or protect polar depending on which side of the TOP-NPO ally split you were. I don't see us starting anything, nor seeing it as our duty to bring in peace and love to CN. If we had MK, ODN, FARK, RIA, GOD, MHA, Sparta and TOP, we might try for that, but right now, I can't see it as our future goal.

[quote name='Kroknia' timestamp='1287140487' post='2485180']
I think the continuum was founded as ushering in a new era of peace because it was really untouchable. Half the alliances knew they'd be at odds with one another sooner or later and were using it as a political tool, rather than a bloc of friends. Ironically, many of them went to war with GPA because they were such a terrible threat to world peace.

This bloc is made as friends, not in an attempt to be protected against polar, or protect polar depending on which side of the TOP-NPO ally split you were. I don't see us starting anything, nor seeing it as our duty to bring in peace and love to CN. If we had MK, ODN, FARK, RIA, GOD, MHA, Sparta and TOP, we might try for that, but right now, I can't see it as our future goal.
[/quote]
I don't care about Polar.

You're right, Continuum was founded by alliances that didn't really know each other and in some cases, didn't even [i]like[/i] each other. As a Continuum delegate from NATO, I saw first hand how little we knew of the other signatories (Sparta, FOK, Gremlins, TPF, OG, in particular). It wasn't a bloc of friends but in the end we did develop passable working relationships and begrudging respect for each other.

What I was getting at, however, was that Continuum did a lot to make sure that its members would never be split in a war. Sure, some would sit out of conflicts by declaring neutrality when they did have a treaty conflict, but a lot of work went into making sure that allies and allies of allies of Continuum alliances would never be in conflict with each other. They made sure that conflicts didn't happen by nipping them in the bud. The Continuum treaty actually contained clauses baring conflict between Continuum signatories and allies of other signatories and requiring that the Continuum treaty be honored above all other treaties. What this meant for many alliances (including RIA, Rok, and Citadel members, all of whom had treaties with Continuum members) was that they would be relatively insulated from attack from Continuum and their allies. Because there were so many Continuum members and so many allies, this did usher in a period of peace for many alliances.

Of course wars did occur, as evidenced by Continuum-GPA and Continuum-NoV but the rest of the wars during the time of the Continuum (or at least during the time period that I actually witnessed, from founding to July 4, 2008) were actually carried out by other blocs. The GATO war in 2008 was done by One Vision, the Illuminati war was done by CDT and SF, the CIS war was done by One Vision, the NADC war was done by BLEU. Continuum as a treaty and as a reason for war was actually used fairly little. Instead, members relied on other blocs or unilateral treaties between each other (see NATO-TPF and NATO-IRON) to enter wars on the side of Continuum members. While I'm on the subject of wars during the time of the Continuum, I'll remind you all that FOK, PC, and Umbrella fought on the side of Continuum in WoTC; FOK fought with Continuum in NoV; GOD and ROK rolled with CDT in Illuminati; and FOK, Umbrella, and VE fought on the side of Continuum in GPA. And as for the FAN war, Continuum wasn't even involved in that war. It was done by One Vision and some others. So any historical revisionism in the part of Pandora's Box members is inaccurate because Continuum wasn't involved in many of the things you blame them for and many of your members (the ones that actually existed at that time) were allied to Continuum members and went to war for them. So claiming that you are somehow totally innocent for what happened is dishonest. It's fine if you realized that you were wrong and changed your ways, but you can't claim that you weren't there.

Considering that many members of Pandora's Box and their allies are tech raiders and some of them have a record of declaring war on alliances for extremely dubious reasons, I don't see this bloc bringing in a period of peace. The member alliances here don't have the seriousness for that. Many of you are, for lack of a better work, chaos agents. This may be what ultimately dooms this bloc. Say what you will about NPO/Continuum, they certainly put a high priority on maintaining order and that did a lot for the stability of the bloc. Pandora's Box's members don't seem to be as concerned for stability and I suspect we'll see many wars started by this bloc in the coming months until its inherent instability finally tears it apart.

[quote name='Gopherbashi' timestamp='1287079983' post='2484557']
God, 32 pages and I'm still not getting where all the Pandora-hating is coming from.
[/quote]
I love you Gopher, I really do.

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1287155790' post='2485265']
Pandora's Box's members don't seem to be as concerned for stability and I suspect we'll see many wars started by this bloc in the coming months until its inherent instability finally tears it apart.
[/quote]
I look forward to proving you wrong, sir.

[quote name='Duncan King' timestamp='1287155790' post='2485265']
Considering that many members of Pandora's Box and their allies are tech raiders and some of them have a record of declaring war on alliances for extremely dubious reasons, I don't see this bloc bringing in a period of peace.
[/quote]
Do you have any examples of this? I can't think of any in recent memory. As I said a few pages ago, it's usually our enemies that do this sort of thing.