Declaration of War

Xiphosis

[quote name='lanceman1972' date='14 July 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1279132742' post='2371270']
Anyone want to offer odds on whether this sparks a conflict? I'm at about 3-1 right now that a certain party decides to defend their honor and strikes back. Really, what other choice is there now that this has pushed 1/2 their membership into peace mode? While an ally may have pulled this prank, [b]I think the real value in this is to potential opponents that now know that whose membership won't fight.[\b]Time to set the record straight through force or arms or wear this albatross around their neck for some time.
[/quote]

LOL you think these members wouldnt fight go back to history class get some education then come back and post something with some substance.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='lanceman1972' date='14 July 2010 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1279132742' post='2371270']
Anyone want to offer odds on whether this sparks a conflict? I'm at about 3-1 right now that a certain party decides to defend their honor and strikes back. Really, what other choice is there now that this has pushed 1/2 their membership into peace mode? While an ally may have pulled this prank, I think the real value in this is to potential opponents that now know that whose membership won't fight. Time to set the record straight through force or arms or wear this albatross around their neck for some time.
[/quote]
That's a pretty poor attempt to bait them into an offensive war. If you want to fight them that badly, just do it.

[quote name='Xiphosis' date='14 July 2010 - 12:28 AM' timestamp='1279081689' post='2370331']
Late last night, out of boredom, I asked babyjesus if he thought I could get someone to hit DEFCON 1 or Peace Mode on rumors alone. He wasn't convinced, but I thought about it some more. As most who use IRC are aware of, if there's a rumor, the stuff gets around. Fast. I ran over some potential stories I could tell that people might buy, and mulled it over with Londo and Vesalius to see what we could pull off. We eventually settled on GOD/GOONS rolling Valhalla for spying on GOONS. We knew Valhalla would fall for it because GOD/GOONS are perceived as reckless and the type to use a weak CB. Apparently so, since the CB was entirely fabricated. As was the Kronos/GOD split. Ves and me were laughing our heads off in a channel while we had that query. The cancelation is fake. The war is fake. To be quite honest, I just wanted to see how gullible the rumor mill really was.

Props go out to:
[list]
[*]GOONS for being good sports
[*]Kronos for helping immensely and not stabbing me - without them it would've /never/ worked.
[*]All my allies who've been query bombed over this. And their allies. And Pez. Sorry, will you still have my babies? We could make hateful offspring.
[*]Everyone who kept this quiet.
[*]And Valhalla, who I hope will take this in the spirit it was intended; a joke.
[/list]

You guys can come out of peace mode now.
[/quote]
Nice social experiment. (Seriously)

It would've been alot more funny if it didn't cause Valhalla Financial damage.

Also if Valhalla pulled the same thing on GOD, I don't think you'd be so calm and collect.

I'm assuming they will be compensated somehow?

Edited by BlkAK47002

[quote name='BlkAK47002' date='14 July 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1279133707' post='2371291']
Also if Valhalla pulled the same thing on GOD, I don't think you'd be so calm and collect.
[/quote]

It's funny but I hadn't even thought of this. I know pretty much exactly how Xiph would have acted, and it would have involved me nuking people 24-25 hours from when it happened.

[quote name='goldielax25' date='14 July 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1279133903' post='2371296']
It's funny but I hadn't even thought of this. I know pretty much exactly how Xiph would have acted, and it would have involved me nuking people 24-25 hours from when it happened.
[/quote]
Yeah. Given how he reacted to the fan fic debacle, I can only imagine what would happen in backchannels if he were faced with a more legitimate outrage like this.

[quote name='Buffalo Niagara' date='14 July 2010 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1279132648' post='2371266']
I have to say if Kronos was really involved in this, I am disappointed and really hope that they work closely with Valhalla to compensate their treaty partner for the BS that they have caused. I dont feel like digging through over ten pages of "hahaha Failhalla peace moders" comments, but I think its important to address a few things:
1. Peace mode is a valid option when facing the odds that Valhalla was looking at. I would have to say I would have done the same in their shoes to allow ourselves a chance to get a second wave in. Valid military long term war tactic. Those pointing fingers and laughing should look at the damage most of purple caused in the last war doing just that with some alliances having over 10 alliances on them.
2. Kronos- As I said in my opening comment, if it is true, and you did this to Olympus, I can assure you, there would be no doubt in my mind that you would have a cancellation in your inbox. Treating an ally like that is a very poor show on your part after the respect I know you and Valhalla have had in the past regardless of treaty ties, but through friendship.
3. Yet again lolfest continues on cn...kinda makes me miss the days of respect between alliances. That is such a hard thing to find now in cn.

We now return you to your tech deals.
[/quote]

Kronos as a whole was not involved in this, as far as I know it was just Visa. Not to throw him under the bus or anything, we all know he wasn't doing it in a malicious, backstabbing way. Of course we will be compensating Valhalla for their wasted time and the damage to the younger nations from peace mode. Valhalla is among our closest treaties, and we hold it in very high regard.

[quote name='lanceman1972' date='14 July 2010 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1279132742' post='2371270']
Anyone want to offer odds on whether this sparks a conflict? I'm at about 3-1 right now that a certain party decides to defend their honor and strikes back. Really, what other choice is there now that this has pushed 1/2 their membership into peace mode? While an ally may have pulled this prank, I think the real value in this is to potential opponents that now know that whose membership won't fight. Time to set the record straight through force or arms or wear this albatross around their neck for some time.
[/quote]

None.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' date='14 July 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1279134294' post='2371301']
Kronos as a whole was not involved in this, as far as I know it was just Visa. Not to throw him under the bus or anything, we all know he wasn't doing it in a malicious, backstabbing way. Of course we will be compensating Valhalla for their wasted time and the damage to the younger nations from peace mode. Valhalla is among our closest treaties, and we hold it in very high regard.
[/quote]

Your actions by your leader certainly say otherwise.

[quote name='SiCkO' date='14 July 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1279134989' post='2371311']
Your actions by your leader certainly say otherwise.
[/quote]

Vesalius got caught up in the joke and apparently didn't think about the consequences. He was intending to do it in good fun, it just wasn't executed in the right manner. Not that I know what exactly the right manner to do this would be, but still. It was a mistake, and I'm sure if half of the dramallamas posting in here recognized what a mistake was this thread would be 15 pages shorter. As I said in my last post, we have been working with Valhalla to rectify the mistakes made last night. It will be worked out.

[quote name='goldielax25' date='14 July 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1279133903' post='2371296']
[/quote]
Then you obviously don't know Xiph as well as you think you do. As someone who's worked with him closely for quite some time, I imagine he'd be quite livid for the first couple hours then he'd cool off and have a laugh at it.

To Heggo and anyone else tasteless enough to bring up the OOC incident I would just like to say that OOC actions are of such a completely different matter that it isn't even suitable to discuss them here.

[quote name='Zombie Glaucon' date='14 July 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1279135164' post='2371316']
Seriously? The one thing you could say about GOONS 1.0 is that they weren't morons.
[/quote]

Quick, Zombie Glaucon! I hear that someone in another thread just mentioned going into peace mode in a disparaging way! Time for you to swing into action!

I think maybe GOD/Kronos wasn't expecting such a strong (and admirably fast) reaction. If Valhalla had only gone into alert mode, for example, then it would have been easy enough to say "haha kidding" with no harm done. Certainly it isn't Valhalla's fault for taking a threat so seriously and reacting so well, but I don't believe it was Kronos' intention to cause economic harm (however slight it may be) to their ally. A poorly thought-out but still relatively harmless joke.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='14 July 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1279135933' post='2371328']
I think maybe GOD/Kronos wasn't expecting such a strong (and admirably fast) reaction. If Valhalla had only gone into alert mode, for example, then it would have been easy enough to say "haha kidding" with no harm done. Certainly it isn't Valhalla's fault for taking a threat so seriously and reacting so well, but I don't believe it was Kronos' intention to cause economic harm (however slight it may be) to their ally. A poorly thought-out but still relatively harmless joke.
[/quote]
Just because it was meant to be harmless doesn't mean it was, as has already been proven.

[quote name='ironchef' date='14 July 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1279129992' post='2371212']
And claiming there is not is also gross exaggeration. Do you know what aid/infra boost programs they had going at the time? Do you know how many nations under 4k infra are doing a sled and looking to get aid from those nations now in PM before their 20 days and they collect to boost? Do you know the number of tech deals that have now been set back 5 days? Do you know the number of nations that did improvement swaps? Until you do I would suggest you don’t make assumptions as to how much this little prank cost Valhalla.
As for the line about this being a CB for Valhalla I would agree with you on that.
[/quote]

I assume you will be helping your allies recover from this economic incident? I expect to see $3m/50t going to Kronos from all of your slots since apparently the cash offered already isn't enough.

Edited by Penkala

[quote name='Michael von Prussia' date='14 July 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1279136113' post='2371332']
Just because it was meant to be harmless doesn't mean it was, as has already been proven.
[/quote]

[i]Relatively[/i] harmless, I said. The economic penalties from a simple 5 days in peace mode are minimal.

[quote name='Masterof9puppets' date='14 July 2010 - 03:05 PM' timestamp='1279134294' post='2371301']
Valhalla is among our closest treaties, and we hold it in very high regard. [/quote]

That sound you hear is the collective groan accompanying multiple palms meeting multiple faces.

And compensation is all well and good. But how about....oh, I dunno....not jerking allies around in the first place?

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='14 July 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1279136317' post='2371335']
[i]Relatively[/i] harmless, I said. The economic penalties from a simple 5 days in peace mode are minimal.
[/quote]

And compensation has already been offered. Don't bother, Brendan. They don't want to help their ally; they want to hurt their foe. They know the damage was minimal, and they know compensation has been offered, yet they come on here and act as if it wasn't and as if Valhalla will now be suffering. Their opportunism is cute, though!

[quote name='Penkala' date='14 July 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1279136818' post='2371345']
And compensation has already been offered. Don't bother, Brendan. They don't want to help their ally; they want to hurt their foe. They know the damage was minimal, and they know compensation has been offered, yet they come on here and act as if it wasn't and as if Valhalla will now be suffering. Their opportunism is cute, though!
[/quote]

Had an alliance from the "Ex-Hegemony" done this exact same thing you'd be foaming at the mouth right now, Penkala. You know this to be true.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' date='14 July 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1279128593' post='2371181']
Most of my postings in the OWF do not lack tact. However I can easily see why you would come to that conclusion. The thing is that when I see a group of posters, who are just out to cause others grief, [ooc]try to make this game less fun for other people[/ooc], and pride themselves on not caring, I'm not going to try to argue with you. Instead I'm going to aim for pissing you off and offending you, because its the only thing GOONS posters will respond to. From the constant feedback you give me, it looks like it works. I would prefer to argue on the grounds of logic and common decency, really I would, but the way GOONS carries themselves in these forums makes that completely impossible in even the slightest degree.

Also this does concern me, Valhalla is any ally of MCXA, and therefore I am going to piss and moan till the cows come home if I feel they are wronged. I stand by my allies, and if you don't like it, tough.
[/quote]

If you prefer to argue while attempting to utilize logic and decency, then do it. 'Pissing and moaning' are neither logical nor decent. They're childish and make your arguments sound petty. Have a point to debate once in a while, instead of throwing in your caustic little jabs, and perhaps your posts will start to appear worthy of reading.

[quote name='Lord Brendan' date='14 July 2010 - 08:38 PM' timestamp='1279136317' post='2371335']
[/quote]
Kronos planned and carried out an act of deception against an ally. They lied, fed them false information and joined the "cool" kids in a room to enjoy their public humilation all the while laughing at them behind their back. There is nothing harmless about that? They intended to harm them, just not by taking their NS.

Edited by Alterego