My view on the Tilton Situation

bros

[quote name='bros2' date='29 April 2010 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1272567494' post='2280116']
Tiltshellz is Tilton's legal IRC proxy service.

If the service was hacked into, they would have access to Tilton's information, including his IP, his user agent, and his coldfront nickserv information

Tilton's IP that is used all of the time is a proxy, it is an IP address that anyone can use and many people can use it at the same time
[/quote]

I understand, thanks for the answers(you too bilrow)

There are proves that Tiltshellz was hacked? Or just proves that someone tried to hack Tiltshellz?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='D34th' date='29 April 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1272568716' post='2280141']

There are proves that Tiltshellz was hacked? Or just proves that someone tried to hack Tiltshellz?
[/quote]

Someone tried to hack it, then they stopped trying to hack it. After they stopped, server activity spiked for around 23 hours or so after the RoK hacking.

Then activity was normal and spiked again during RIA hacking, when the tiltshellz server was seen visiting the forums of RIA.

[quote name='D34th' date='29 April 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1272568716' post='2280141']

[/quote]
I believe it means that someone attempted to hack it, not if it worked, but interestingly it happened at the same time as the actual hackings.

And of course, since I quoted this, answered and then forgot to post, bros already got to it.

Edited by flak attack

i don't want to argue all the technical issues, i know i don't know enough about that to hold my own, but i have to ask one thing. please note that the 'hacking' was a ooc action and hyperonic/kenny represented RIA ooc as a tech representative. he is not IC RIA gov and his ooc actions being used to form an IC opinion of the RIA is incredibly childish and shows a lack of ability to differentiate OOC from IC. also the logs in screen shot form are not disputed as being real, they have been claimed to be taken out of context but nobody has argued they are fake.

again anyone who forms and IC opinion of RIA based on the OOC actions of a non government member(IC*) is being ignorant of the IC/OOC line and at this point is doing it intentionally.

*(who almost doesn't even take any part in the IC aspect)

[quote name='bros2' date='29 April 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1272569520' post='2280155']
Someone tried to hack it, then they stopped trying to hack it. After they stopped, server activity spiked for around 23 hours or so after the RoK hacking.

Then activity was normal and spiked again during RIA hacking, when the tiltshellz server was seen visiting the forums of RIA.
[/quote]

is there anything other then an attempted hacking that could cause those activity spikes? maybe actual activity? idk im no tech person.

When I get home, I can provide a much more.... detailed version of events, with logs upon request.

Attacks on tilton's server started on the 24th, there were around 100 bans or so (A ban occurs after 20 failed logins)

There are normally around 20 bans a day.

On the 25th, there were around 120 bans

The 26th was down to around 20-30 bans a day

[quote name='im317' date='29 April 2010 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1272570619' post='2280187']
is there anything other then an attempted hacking that could cause those activity spikes? maybe actual activity? idk im no tech person.
[/quote]

Good question.

The bouncer service is rather... low maintenance.

I cannot look at these images as I am in class right now, but I remember enough.

There is a plateau in week 9, when the RoK hacking occurred.

There is a spike in week 10, when the RIA hacking occurred.

The week that has a HUGE HUGE spike is when tilton was upgrading the tiltshellz bouncer software.

I belive week... 6 or 7 was an example of a normal week (it's basically a flat week)

[quote name='im317' date='29 April 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1272570560' post='2280184']
i don't want to argue all the technical issues, i know i don't know enough about that to hold my own, but i have to ask one thing. please note that the 'hacking' was a ooc action and hyperonic/kenny represented RIA ooc as a tech representative. he is not IC RIA gov and his ooc actions being used to form an IC opinion of the RIA is incredibly childish and shows a lack of ability to differentiate OOC from IC. also the logs in screen shot form are not disputed as being real, they have been claimed to be taken out of context but nobody has argued they are fake.

again anyone who forms and IC opinion of RIA based on the OOC actions of a non government member(IC*) is being ignorant of the IC/OOC line and at this point is doing it intentionally.

[/quote]

It was brought IC when he non-government member(IC) posted this [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=85110]'In light of the new information, Tilton's involvement seems significantly larger than initially believed and his guilt more clear cut. RIA has not made a habit of using prolonged attacks as a punishment, however, in this instance, we are declaring Tilton an enemy of the Random Insanity Alliance..[/url] and also tried to extract 550-600 tech from Tilton for his supposed guilt.

Unless declaring someone an enemy or requiring tech is no longer an IC action.

Edited by Bilrow

[quote name='Bilrow' date='29 April 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1272571351' post='2280203']
It was brought IC when he non-government member(IC) posted this [url=http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=85110]'In light of the new information, Tilton's involvement seems significantly larger than initially believed and his guilt more clear cut. RIA has not made a habit of using prolonged attacks as a punishment, however, in this instance, we are declaring Tilton an enemy of the Random Insanity Alliance..[/url] and also tried to extract 550-600 tech from Tilton for his supposed guilt.

[/quote]

yeah, the original tech thing i had an issue with too. the enemy thing is dishing out IC justice for an OOC action, i dont agree with it but i understand it due to the lack of realistic OOC punishment available. my point was more don't base your IC opinion of RIA on kenny's OOC actions.

[quote name='Omniscient1' date='29 April 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1272574519' post='2280262']
Only question I have (which may have already been asked),is what about Lanna's logs? From what I understand Lanna said Tilton told her, he hacked the forums. Why would she say that to her if Tilton claims someone else used his info to hack?
[/quote]
He is pretty much caught red handed. He was "joking," which is a moronic fall out that some seem to believe. Yes, anyone could have done it, but those logs are in no shape or form "joking." I do not buy it nor should anyone else, it is evident he spoke with sincerity.

[quote name='Omniscient1' date='29 April 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1272574519' post='2280262']
Only question I have (which may have already been asked),is what about Lanna's logs? From what I understand Lanna said Tilton told her, he hacked the forums. Why would she say that to her if Tilton claims someone else used his info to hack?
[/quote]

From what I gleaned from it last night at 11 PM, tilton never really ADMITTED to doing it, he just danced around whenever lanna would say that he hacked them.

Hell, I was thinking about white-hatting TOP just to show them how easy it was. But I decided not to. Despite the fact of how much fun it would've been :P

Everything looked like you had your conclusions, then started looking for ways to back up your conclusions, whereas from RIA's standpoint they followed the trail of evidence to reach their conclusion. RIA, for doing their diligence, found the person who did it. You, for not doing your diligence and instead looking for stories to back up your conclusions, had a lot of people believing that a guilty person was innocent.

You really should leave politics at the door if you're going to offer your 'technical advice' on things.

[quote name='im317' date='30 April 2010 - 05:49 AM' timestamp='1272570560' post='2280184']

[/quote]
I'm surprised this damage control isn't in the apology thread.. Oh wait, there isn't an apology thread. The IC/OOC was broken by RIA first and I still, honestly cannot believe Hyperonic is getting away with his 'OOC' actions.

[quote name='Ejayrazz' date='29 April 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1272574676' post='2280267']
He is pretty much caught red handed. He was "joking," which is a moronic fall out that some seem to believe. Yes, anyone could have done it, but those logs are in no shape or form "joking." I do not buy it nor should anyone else, it is evident he spoke with sincerity.
[/quote]
In similar but other news, it's no longer okay to joke around with your friends about accusations made towards you.

Edited by Dementual

Admittedly I haven't been following the Tilton situation and threads closely, but is there anything to the "bros let politics get before being objective" business other than the fact that he disagreed with some of you?

Please feel free to get at me in private if you feel my government acts in poor faith and actually have something to back it up with. I suppose public smearing has its appeal though.

[quote name='Dementual' date='29 April 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1272580108' post='2280373']
In similar but other news, it's no longer okay to joke around with your friends about accusations made towards you.
[/quote]
That was an ordinary conversation. Jokes make people laugh, he failed miserably. He was caught, now he's back pedaling.

[quote name='Bilrow' date='30 April 2010 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1272571351' post='2280203']

[/quote]

I posted that, and I am a government member.
Hyperonic had no input into the terms which were agreed upon between the RIA govt.