Tech raiding, Bad?

Tick1

What lines should be drawn?  

353 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm ok with tech raiding nations that aren't in an alliance, but alliance tech raids I'm not ok with.

Again, as everyone is appearing to continue dodging this question, what's the difference? War is war is war.

Edited by Godwin

10, no, and no

An AA under 10 people unless they have boards, or have announced their existence to planet bob is not an alliance. Just because a handful of people are all on the same AA doesn't mean they are in any way united and as such are not an alliance.

Tech raiding is not immoral as it is relatively easy to find a small alliance that will let you do your own thing or even join a big alliance that will let you do your own thing.

Its perfectly fine to raid raider. Now if the raider is on an AA that allows tech raiding then it is an attack on an alliance so it is not fine in that way. But if you spot a person not in an alliance raiding people then raid them.

Question 1: I am prepared to turn a blind eye to raiding unalligned nations, but occasionally I will step in afterwards and give them cash to rebuild after the raid depending on how good my finances are at the time. But an alliance of 10 or more is not and should not be considered a target.

Question 2: Raiding is not something I would do, but if you conduct alliance wide tech raids (in the style of the Ni! or FoA raids) Then you have crossed a major line.

Question 3: No, by tech raiding a nation has given their approval to tech raids in general and it would be hypocritical for them to claim it is wrong for them to get raided.

Edited by Prime minister Johns

Again, as everyone is appearing to continue dodging this question, what's the difference? War is war is war.

the difference is the community. unaligned have no community as they are basically loners. an alliance (i.e. any AA with 2+ members) have a community that is the same as any alliance that actually shows up on the CN display alliance page.

war may be war may be war but tech raiding unaligned is far different from raiding an alliance.

the difference is the community. unaligned have no community as they are basically loners. an alliance (i.e. any AA with 2+ members) have a community that is the same as any alliance that actually shows up on the CN display alliance page.

war may be war may be war but tech raiding unaligned is far different from raiding an alliance.

What does the community have anything to do with tech raiding? You can still be an alliance and have a community if your members get hit in war a couple times... Trust me, I come from Legion, and I know that far too well.

If anything, being an alliance and having a structured community just makes you that much more capable of fighting back, and having fun with it.

To be honest I don't see how raiding an unaligned nation is better than raiding an alliance, in both cases you are attacking someone for basically no reason. The general consensus has developed that the unaligned "deserve it" for being you know... unaligned.

Thus, I find the whole debate somewhat bizarre.

What does the community have anything to do with tech raiding? You can still be an alliance and have a community if your members get hit in war a couple times... Trust me, I come from Legion, and I know that far too well.

If anything, being an alliance and having a structured community just makes you that much more capable of fighting back, and having fun with it.

i would say that depends entirely on the age of the community. many alliances made up of new members tend to not have the same strength of community as older alliances do. nor may young alliances with young leadership have the same strength of government needed to ensure that the community stays together as well. couple this with the fact that should these communities be under constant attack from dozens if not hundreds of raiders on a daily basis and essentially what you have is new and young communities being put through what FAN was put through. to them it would seem like eternal war, and even older alliances have crumbled under the threat of eternal war, but to think that young and new alliances are going to be steadfast and stalwart in the face of such, especially as most simply do not understand why they have all these alliances attacking them?

it is ridiculous to say the least. even \m/ crumbled and chose to disband instead of facing the thought of eternal war. but ya'll expect others to do the same? and i am not stating that \m/ or GOONS or PC or anyone would be the one alliance(s) doing it, just that to the new and young alliance, all they know is that they are constantly being attacked by an array of nations from various alliances. this is why i choose not to raid any alliances as i refuse to be part of that situation.

@James Dahl- essentially raiding unaligned is different as they do get recruiting messages that state that they can join an alliance for protection and to get away from raiders and be rebuilt. thus, they have a safety net to fall into. now that some raiders think it is okay to raid alliances, even that safety net is beginning to get holes in it as alliances are no longer safe for the unaligned to run to to be protected.

alliances that have no treaties are now targets and without treaties most other alliances will sit back and do nothing to help them. thus, unaligned can typically receive more help due to being able to join alliances, whereas alliances with no political ties are essentially helpless unless some alliance takes pity on them.

personally, i despise any raider that states unaligned "deserve it" as they don't deserve any such treatment. though the war option is part of the game and should be utilized to have fun, thus, they are a viable target mostly out of necessity versus them deserving it.

I wonder how many hypocrites answered 'yes' to #2 and 'no' to #3? :v:

I think that tech-raiding raiders is wrong.

However, attacking raiders with destruction in mind is fine.

The tech raiders want easy targets, no risk. They pick someone who can't really defend, hit him with 3 nations in a surprise attack, and tell him that he has to either just take it or get attacked by the rest of their alliance.

I see nothing wrong with someone else jumping them for it.

Raiding should not be risk free.

Real world analogy - if you break into peoples houses, I consider it fine for anyone who catches you to shoot you. That's a risk you take when you decide to break into houses.

You make the mistake of assuming that everyone finds war to be fun. You also make the mistake of assuming that all communities can withstand war.

To be honest I don't see how raiding an unaligned nation is better than raiding an alliance, in both cases you are attacking someone for basically no reason. The general consensus has developed that the unaligned "deserve it" for being you know... unaligned.

Thus, I find the whole debate somewhat bizarre.

Agreed .

I love the hypocrisy of those who answered in this poll. According to most of the people who voted, it's not ok to tech raid unless the person you're tech raiding tech raids. So what, you just put your morals and values on hold to force your will on someone? What a hero. :rolleyes:

One, yes, no

Sparta doesnt condone raiding. We dont raid unaligned. We don't raid aligned. It doesnt matter how many people are in, or not in, an alliance. Obviously as an alliance, we feel raiding is at least a little immoral, hence when why we dont condone it.

Yes, I feel it is immoral to raid an alliance that raids. If I raided a nation that was raiding, because they were raiding, that would make me a world policemen. I refuse to be called such a thing. Who am I to force my beliefs on someone else?

Edited by Pearl

Tech raiding is part of the planet Bob experience. It was always so simple. If you don't want to get raided, join an alliance, end of story. If an alliance raids another alliance, and a 3rd decides they don't like it for any reason, then it's up to the raiding alliance to be prepared to reap what they sow. Simplicity is such a great thing.

The Blood God demands blood, not tech. I'm not interested in dishonorable theft to improve my nation, nor am I willing to take a morality stand and "punish" those who take such actions by hypocritically stealing from them. If my own folk or my allies are attacked, payment will be extracted in blood.

Now seeing as I've been in a discussion of a solution for the past two days I see it fit to make a poll and actually gather the opinions of people throughout the planet. Although I will see more opinions of outspoken critics rather than the alliances members that don't visit our areas of discussion I'd love for you to invite them here. Seeing as I'd like to gain an incite on the view of bob as a whole rather than just one person's perspective. I'll continue discussing this topic as the polls progress.

Sincerely, Tick1

I have a problem with tech raiders who are cowards, and that's most of them.

Don't think you're a coward? Try raiding without a 3-man gang bang. Try not bringing in your buddies when the nation being raided has the temerity to strike back at you.

Tech raiding is part of the game. People who do not want to be raided just have to join a proper alliance. It's so easy.

I also don't think you can define an alliance by the number of members they have. Some alliances have 15 members, but are on the same sphere, have forums, have a wiki, announced their existance and have treaties. And maybe the 30 member alliance are just a bunch of morons on the same AA.

And in a way I'm helping the people i'm raiding. A lot of those joined a proper alliance or found a good protector.

The tech raiders want easy targets, no risk. They pick someone who can't really defend, hit him with 3 nations in a surprise attack, and tell him that he has to either just take it or get attacked by the rest of their alliance.

This maybe goes for some raiders, but once you get to a certain size (around 30 to 40k NS) there are no 'easy targets' anymore. No nones without nukes. You'll have to find a 5 nation AA, check them out if they have protectors, if they are a real alliance. And they will probably have nukes, so you have to be clean and nice. If you're nice people tend to peace out sooner. Raiding takes a lot of time and effort, and you have to be ballzy. People forget that.

And as a bonus, you'll get plenty of war experience. And it's fun, and that is what games are about.

Tech raiding is part of the game. People who do not want to be raided just have to join a proper alliance. It's so easy.

I also don't think you can define an alliance by the number of members they have. Some alliances have 15 members, but are on the same sphere, have forums, have a wiki, announced their existance and have treaties. And maybe the 30 member alliance are just a bunch of morons on the same AA.

And in a way I'm helping the people i'm raiding. A lot of those joined a proper alliance or found a good protector.

I would like to see proof of that. As part of my new job, I've been messaging the unaligned that are being raided with assistance. Having already given up hope on Planet Bob, most of them don't even check their messages. If you want the stats, I can easily compile them from the messages I've sent. I'm just scrolling through my sent box right now, and that is what I see.

This maybe goes for some raiders, but once you get to a certain size (around 30 to 40k NS) there are no 'easy targets' anymore. No nones without nukes. You'll have to find a 5 nation AA, check them out if they have protectors, if they are a real alliance. And they will probably have nukes, so you have to be clean and nice. If you're nice people tend to peace out sooner. Raiding takes a lot of time and effort, and you have to be ballzy. People forget that.

And as a bonus, you'll get plenty of war experience. And it's fun, and that is what games are about.

Tat's true but most raids happen at low ns levels; below 10 k. I disagree that raiding requires you to be 'ballzy'. Most raiders stalk and attack a nation when it's weak then use the threat of force to coerce their targets to peace out. I'm speaking as a former raider and as a former raidee. And again, you make the mistake of assuming that everyone finds war fun and that Planet Bob is all about war. War isn't fun for a lot of nations, especially when the defender has little chances of a successful retaliation.