An honest question from an honest guy

hormones74

Firstly, I think there is a distinction between theme and culture. Theme is not important. You can have a successful group without a theme. If you lack some type and some level of a culture, you'll never have an interesting community, and you will fail.

Have a theme? Good. Don't have one? Also good. Both can be made to work, as Lord Boris said, it's the culture of an alliance that really dictates if it lives or dies. Themes are nice, and they do indeed help attract new players, but that's not really a determinant of how well the alliance will fare and can be done without quite handily.

A theme for an alliance simply makes it easier to create a culture. Sometimes.

There is no "need" for a theme in an alliance, it's the culture that matters, especially with older nations. However, having a theme can make it easier to develop a culture (as most people who join will already have something in common other than being humans, or AI bots, whichever the case may be...), but sometimes you don't need to make it easier.

Firstly, I think there is a distinction between theme and culture. Theme is not important. You can have a successful group without a theme. If you lack some type and some level of a culture, you'll never have an interesting community, and you will fail.

I agree with this. Culture is important, and most themes are lame anyway (and I know something about lame themes).

This.

Personally I feel theme and culture are both rather important. Those are the qualities I look for on a game when I look for an alliance.

I'd say the theme is only important so you can make announcements with lots of references to your theme. It might encourage new players to join. But as time goes on, its the culture that becomes more important, and the relationships you forge with other alliance members.

I would actually have to say that a theme is important. Your theme gives a peek of what your alliance is and what it can do.

Your theme also can make your alliance memorable, like MK (Mario), Athens (History), New Sith Order (Sci-fi and Star Wars).

All of these will be remembered by everyone. Mostly because of the theme and people in charge.

So, if you:

a) Are a good leader, +1 because you could lead your alliance to victory of some sort

c) Have a good theme, another +1 because if it's good, you may have a memorable alliance

I hope I made a little sense here >.> <.<

Edited by Ivan III

Doesnt matter if you have one or not. I think it makes you more interesting if you do tho. Like NSO, to me thats interesting or my own alliance The Dark Brotherhood, completely made to match it in the Oblivion game. It makes it more fun and like Ivan III said, makes ppl remember you better. To me, an alliance without some sort of theme is pretty boring and unimaginative.