Under-rated/Over-rated alliances

Hyperion321

Underrated:

Legion ~ I see, even in this thread, a lot of folks are still thinking of Legion like they were. They haven't been that for a long time. They've honored their treaties, marching into certain destruction, and helping keep morale up all while getting pasted. Definitely under-rated.

NSO ~ They may not have pioneered some of the things they do, but they are definitely creating a new attitude towards things. That bit is more important than the deeds themselves, in the long run, and is something that doesn't get near the credit it deserves. Also, that SO many folks think they are over-rated, says to me a whole bunch of folks are sitting around thinking about them, even if they don't know why.

Overrated:

MK ~ Don't get me wrong, they seem both tough & loyal. Admirable qualities, for sure. But there are several alliances that share that same testicular fortitude, that same love of nuclear hellfire, and that same sort of grit. The others just aren't as vocal about it. ML & BAPS come to mind, for starters, but there are certainly more.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were clearing their slots for NPO reps, which came in at a much slower rate than expected.

There are 18 alliances that are claiming our tech. Sorry we can't give GR all they desire straight away. But we are meeting the requirements, otherwise we'd be attacked, right? So what's the problem?

There are 18 alliances that are claiming our tech. Sorry we can't give GR all they desire straight away. But we are meeting the requirements, otherwise we'd be attacked, right? So what's the problem?

The problem is that you're too defensive. They were expecting the reps to come in faster and that's why their slots were at such low usage...

They were clearing their slots for NPO reps, which came in at a much slower rate than expected.

That makes sense, I checked them over 20 days and they remained at 10%, and figured that it wasn't a case of reps, but it makes sense if it has been a case of slow reps. Although isn't it better to just get as much tech as you can and those that often don't do tech deals are assigned to recieve the tech? This will generally mean you aren't shooting yourself in the foot for an entire month.

Edited by Khyber

Overrated:

MK ~ Don't get me wrong, they seem both tough & loyal. Admirable qualities, for sure. But there are several alliances that share that same testicular fortitude, that same love of nuclear hellfire, and that same sort of grit. The others just aren't as vocal about it. ML & BAPS come to mind, for starters, but there are certainly more.

I would argue that MK is the most politically skilled of these alliances, and that such a distinction would move them above the rest. But then again, I'm just a wee bit biased.

I would argue that MK is the most politically skilled of these alliances, and that such a distinction would move them above the rest. But then again, I'm just a wee bit biased.

I would tend to agree. MK's ability to rocket itself from where it started to where it is now is a much greater feat than what most diplomatic teams could ever claim.

The paradigm is simple; having a crystallized and developed culture while being the focal point of a sphere = potential super power. Of course this won't always work if your sphere is so impoverished as to yield very little for your due diligence. That said, here is a list of underrated alliances as I see things (which is truly through a glass darkly, but meh).

Underrated:

FAN: Yeah, they have that culture and sphere thing down to a science. Impoverished sphere here? Potentially. Either way, they have the mojo and the resources to come out looking like top dogs, and appearance is half the battle.

Legion: Great sphere though I'm not sure how they are received as a whole there. The focus on sphere cooperation yields excellent fertile ground for growth. Plus it seems that Valhalla may have left a hefty power vacuum there.

VE: Some of the same; great tradition, a focus on sphere cooperation, and the potential, with GGA rebuilding, to fill in as the dominant politically active green alliance.

TOOL: See Legion and VE.

I can see all these Alliances building a coalition that centers around them, much like NPO, NpO, MK, Grämlins, Sparta, ROK, to name a few of the more obvious ones, have done. I guess that most power clusters are built around ideas more so than color, but the greatest of them all at one point, NPO, did color and ideas, which I think is the most natural and persistent way to go about doing it. It is all about perception after all.

Edited by eyriq

That makes sense, I checked them over 20 days and they remained at 10%, and figured that it wasn't a case of reps, but it makes sense if it has been a case of slow reps. Although isn't it better to just get as much tech as you can and those that often don't do tech deals are assigned to recieve the tech? This will generally mean you aren't shooting yourself in the foot for an entire month.

I do agree. I think part of it was their MoF going MIA for a few weeks.

I'd tend to agree, but that doesn't have a bearing on whether one is overrated or underrated. It's not a comparison of one alliance to another, but a comparison of an alliance's public perception to your own perception of them.

-Bama

You do a great job of representing your alliance and strengthening diplomatic bonds.

That's my job. He's the bad cop, i'm the good cop. Or something like that...

And Veni, I wouldn't think he was talking of us as I know Argent is more than gracious to everyone that visits our boards....except to those dirty stat whores in TOP.

Oh...and IRON too...hate those guys.

Well, technically I've not left for about a year now. I've just been on a hiatus of sorts, not posting or visiting public channels on IRC. How are you, Ardus?

Welcome home, JB.

Also, it's so nice of you to call MK overrated after you joined 2-3 times.

Edited by Mundokiir

Welcome home, JB.

Also, it's so nice of you to call MK overrated after you joined 2-3 times.

The MK of today is not the MK I joined. Don't get me wrong, I still love MK. I just think that memespam and !@#$posting is not what MK should be known for, they have too much talent to fall into that.

Well, technically I've not left for about a year now. I've just been on a hiatus of sorts, not posting or visiting public channels on IRC. How are you, Ardus?

Oh.... ya know. Ensuring that all you hate and loathe in CN endures, prevails, etc. How was hiatus?

Oh.... ya know. Ensuring that all you hate and loathe in CN endures, prevails, etc. How was hiatus?

It was nice to take a break, I suppose. Gave me time to do other things and sort some things out.

EDIT: Also, as I said, I don't actually hate MK.

Edited by Jonathan Brookbank