Under-rated/Over-rated alliances

Hyperion321

To be honest I'm scratching my head as to why you guys think it was such a huge achievement.

He didn't say that he did. In fact he said that he thought it was funny that it's still being discussed. I also don't see why it was such a huge deal.

-Bama

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm most people seem to think of Sparta as overrated, If the majority agrees to that isn't Sparta actually underrated? :P

overrated/underrated: I don't have a clue on how the majority of the planet views the alliances, well untill now probably, if you translate overrated to n00b and underrated to awesome.

you wish :lol1:

He's got a point. If the majority of the community has such low regard for Sparta's capabilities, then they're certainly not overrated, and are probably somewhat underrated. Most alliances who catch a lot of ridicule around here (deserved or otherwise) aren't nearly AS bad as people would have you think. If someone's ridiculing an alliance, they're not going to give you a level-headed and rational view of them... They're going to play up the alliance's failures and weaknesses, and downplay their successes and strengths.

-Bama

To be honest I'm scratching my head as to why you guys think it was such a huge achievement.

I never said that. It's not TOOLies that's discussing it afterall :|. Also considering that TOOL doesn't have much of an OWF presence, it is funny to see why people rate us as "over-rated". The reasons given are... very base at best.

Back on topic though

NATO seems to be pretty under-rated. Haven't seen much from them for a while, but they seem to be growing nicely. Seems to indicate that they're pretty organised and are on the right track :)

Quick comment: During the Karma War, DT was initially fighting SSSW18 before TOOL stepped in the next night. DT was a fraction of the size of TOOL, (probably around 1/8 or so.) I think it's unfair to say that we were "piss-weak" when we were so outnumbered. Since DT is a small-but-strong alliance, it takes an alliance the size of TOOL to stagger our upper-ranks. Sparta and Brigade came in later. I think there was an expectation that Sparta would dominate TOOL, but instead it seemed that it just forced TOOL out of the war. The problem was that Sparta did not have many higher NS nations left that could declare war. It took days before Spartan nations attacked the TOOL nations who attacked me. In short, this part of the conflict suggests that Sparta was over-rated as opposed to TOOL being under-rated.

Overrated: Sparta (for reasons suggested above), Valhalla (the flight to peace mode during the Karma War will always stick out), BLEU (who would have known that it could break apart like that), Hegemony

Underrated: Nordreich, NV, Avalon, The Huns

Edited by General Ozujsko

^Don't know much about NoR or The Huns, but I deffo agree on NV and Avalon. I might have been a Heggo during the last war, but in WotC I was on NV's side and I was damned impressed by how well they held their ground in the face of horrendous odds.

Overrated: Valhalla (the flight to peace mode during the Karma War will always stick out)

You know not what you speak of Ozujsko - and as a "General" I'd assume you understood streategy and the art of war. Valhalla's war skills are in the upper tier and their performance in Karma should not be misconstrued by someone as naive to the situation as you.

You know not what you speak of Ozujsko - and as a "General" I'd assume you understood streategy and the art of war. Valhalla's war skills are in the upper tier and their performance in Karma should not be misconstrued by someone as naive to the situation as you.

You should be a politician. You can speak without actually producing a rebuttal.

I wasn't criticizing their "streategy" but the PR disaster of Valhalla dropping their treaty with NPO and running into Peace Mode. The "Coalition of the Cowards" (as described on the CN Wiki) were seen as paper tigers and therefore, overrated.

Now, I backed up what I said with an explanation. Care to take a stab at it or are you going to continue the undeserved haughtiness?

We peaced before entering the war. Our nations were mostly upper-tier, therefore any war we fight in will involve nuclear anarchy. To fight from a constant state of nuclear anarchy requires coming out in waves, otherwise you lose the advantage of being able to choose your targets.

That's all the hints you get; you can figure the rest out on your own. :P

ps: I am pleased at the mention though, being over-rated is pretty complimentary in & of itself. So, thanks :)

Edited by Kryievla

The vast majority of alliances these days are over rated, it has become common practice these days to try and represent your alliance in as godly form as can be to the public. This game of deceit is an art form to some alliances, and any deviation or honesty shown as to the real potential any said alliance has is quickly frowned upon. Truth be told, the inflation of stats in the game has certainly gotten to many egos and often, even to allies, alliance leaders will grossly overestimate everything from their political stability to military poweress. This is all done, of course, for the pursuit of actualy having the right to claim the very statements they state now.

I only hope that at some point these paper tigers will fall apart to make way for the rare alliances that aren't bluffing.

Edited by Mister Oz

The vast majority of alliances these days are over rated, it has become common practice these days to try and represent your alliance in as godly form as can be to the public. This game of deceit is an art form to some alliances, and any deviation or honesty shown as to the real potential any said alliance has is quickly frowned upon. Truth be told, the inflation of stats in the game has certainly gotten to many egos and often, even to allies, alliance leaders will grossly overestimate everything from their political stability to military poweress. This is all done, of course, for the pursuit of actualy having the right to claim the very statements they state now.

I only hope that at some point these paper tigers will fall apart to make way for the rare alliances that aren't bluffing.

I would not hold my breath. Either we will have a lot more warfare (unlikely in my eyes) or you will see power once again concentrating around a particular sphere of influence and by the end of a few curb stomps, things will be just as stagnant as it was before the Karma war. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

It's become so trendy to take shots at Sparta and some others and even those who clearly no nothing of war are joining in. Everyone likes to kick someone while they're down, especially those with limited strength to begin with. It's a shame, but honestly, it is more healthy for an alliance to be under-rated. Under-rated alliances stay hungry. Sparta can only hope that whoever they fight in their next war has such a low opinion of them as some of those who have replied here.

Criticizing an alliance for going into peace mode is absurd. It is a crucial part of nuclear warfare as has been stated already. As for dropping treaties at the eleventh hour, you either believe that the Karma war was a major turning point in Bob history or you don't. But if you want to say that it was, you have to accept that decisions are not always black and white. If you believe the NPO was an iron-fisted force that bent many others to its will, you have to accept that many of their supports likely did not support them very willingly. In my mind, you cannot fully persecute those who chose not to support the NPO while at the same time heralding their downfall. Those decisions were intimately connected. Only those on the periphery of the conflict are granted the privilege of pointing accusatory fingers because those in the thick of it had tough calls to make.

I do remember the one guy who nuked me and Big Woody. He attacked Woody because he did not like TORNs flag or something and he attacked me because... well he was never really sure he thought I did something and when I pointed out that I had no idea what he was talking about he said it was just because.

That guy was Solunsford, iirc. He thought TORN stole CON's flag or something and went retarded. That was back around late '07.

Fake Edit: holy late reply batman