Public Apologies

UberSpion

Honestly, How old are we?

Ok, not so much age. But how effective is a public apology? Don't you think times have changed? The whole get on your knees and publicly apologize to save face or save pixels I find just rofflarious. I don't think I would have a problem writing up a public apology, and would have none of the ill side effects like: embarrassment, humility, e-ween reduction, high blood pressure, diarrhea, vomiting, etc...

/me just got rick rolled...

but anyway. what is the sole purpose of a public apology in CN?

a⋅pol⋅o⋅gy

  /əˈpɒlədʒi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-pol-uh-jee] Show IPA

–noun, plural -gies.

1. a written or spoken expression of one's regret, remorse, or sorrow for having insulted, failed, injured, or wronged another: He demanded an apology from me for calling him a crook.

2. a defense, excuse, or justification in speech or writing, as for a cause or doctrine.

3. (initial capital letter, italics) a dialogue by Plato, centering on Socrates' defense before the tribunal that condemned him to death.

4. an inferior specimen or substitute; makeshift: The tramp wore a sad apology for a hat.

But this is the internets yus? Our "RL" feelings aren't really exhibited here. It's all "IC" emotions. Or is it? Which mean basically squat really. Except for those who take it really hardcore, like ooohhh... Bob Sanders.... Now, I'm not here to ruin Bob Sanders good name, for he is perfectly capable of handling that himself. He's a great guy I'm sure, I use to know the guy and he was/is full of roffles. Still I'm sure. I mean I keep getting banned from #cnvalhalla and I keep laughing. So he's one hell of a jokester. Regardless, this game has many complex levels for which are not completely understood by myself. Some I'm sure will post or think to themselves that I'm a n00blet and I'm not playing the game right. Nay... Nay I say... I play the game how I want to play it. And in this world (planet bob) of complete ignorance and intolerable actions, I say this: or wait.... I quote this:

...I wanted to become good at things, I wanted to become good at tennis, I wanted to become good at school and grades and everything I kind of viewed in that perspective. I'm not okay the way I am, but if I got good at things. I realized I had the game wrong, because the game was to find out what I already was." Dr. Richard Albert

So I ask you CN... Who are you really IC? What do you get from this game? What do you need from this "game?" How does it entertain you?

remember CN, on the internets, every hour is happy hour....

A public apology is only effective if the person does it sincerely and it actually would be more embarrassing or it takes effort to do it from the person. That is if the apology requires something from the person to speak it. If private does it, then that is the way to go. However, a public apology like any apology if not meant well and really has no relevance, then it is not worth it.

If it is demanded, then it that means little than water because forcing someone to publically apologize is worth nothing. It defies the purpose of apologizing. Don't apologize if you don't mean it. Grinding someone's nose down to apologize is not worth it because it does nothing to the person who was offended because it is worth nothing since it isn't sincerely meant. It is either an embarassment tactic or getting your pride fixed. Apologies are not meant to be used in that way. Apologies should mean something and if used in that purpose, then they lose any meaning they ever held.

Words are meant to say something and not be airless. Forcing them for such a thing when it'll result in a mockery of an apology is not one after all. An apology should be a result of realizing they did something wrong and wanting to amend for their actions. This requires thought process, not bending down on their knees and meaning nothing in the end of it. It teaches nothing of their mistake and just breeds resentment and is a worthless piece of paper.

So basically I agree.

Edited by Salmia

Public apologies only make sense if the incident provoking it was very public and obvious. Apologies only make sense if both parties legitimately feel one is deserved. Public apologies about things no one cares about are a waste of everyone's time, and apologies that are forced on someone are completely worthless.

Public apologies only make sense if the incident provoking it was very public and obvious. Apologies only make sense if both parties legitimately feel one is deserved. Public apologies about things no one cares about are a waste of everyone's time, and apologies that are forced on someone are completely worthless.

It became more public when two of p0rk's friends helped him out in #UINE. Also, Uber, give it up. It's hard to take anything you say seriously, and sporting that avatar doesn't help.

Edited by Rey the Great

The purpose of public apology is to build the ego of the nation or alliance demanding one. They serve nothing other than to show the submission of the apologizing party to the will of the offended party. Now private apologies are of course different, but public apology are matters of ego.

Public apologies may have their place, but I've never actually seen one that ended well here on CN. As to the questions posed at the end, my IC is my OOC, my OOC is my IC, yet not. To be specific, both are closely tied, but not identical. My IC personality tends to be me...more, basically me without restrictions. Honestly, it seems like getting through a day IRL is a diplomatic journey sometimes compared to my IC interactions here. :P Also, my IC has an influence on my OOC, which is largely because I've been an internet denizen since I was 13, so my online character has had much influence on my impressionable younger self, which has carried on even to present day; I tend to become my online personality, whatever it may be. As to how the game entertains me, I can honestly say I derive great pleasure just from the day to day running of Invicta. So long as Invicta is chugging along and growing, I'm happy, no matter what else is going on in Planet Bob, or even Planet Earth.

You have been banned twice for very good reasons. On May 20 you queried me as follows while I was afk. Note: The following message was censored due to language.

Session Start: Wed May 20 12:10:55 2009

Session Ident: UberSpion

[12:10] Session Ident: UberSpion (UberSpion@coldfrontxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com)

[12:10] <UberSpion> insert n-word here

I responded by banning you when I got home:

[18:21] *** Bob_Sanders sets mode: +b *!*@coldfrontxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

[18:22] *** Bob_Sanders sets mode: +b UberSpion!*@*

Next on June 6 you managed to evade the ban because you moved and somehow seemed surprised at getting rebanned as evidenced in this query.

Session Start: Sat Jun 06 18:18:52 2009

Session Ident: UberSpion|AWAY

[18:18] Session Ident: UberSpion|AWAY (UberSpion@coldfrontxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com)

[18:18] <UberSpion|AWAY> don't be gay, OH WAIT...

[18:19] * Added *!*@coldfrontxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com to ignore list

-

Session Close: Sat Jun 06 18:19:13 2009

So yes, I am totally persecuting you for no good reason......... :rolleyes:

P.S. Public apologies suck IMO, I would never ask for one or give one.

You have been banned twice for very good reasons. On May 20 you queried me as follows while I was afk. Note: The following message was censored due to language.

I responded by banning you when I got home:

Next on June 6 you managed to evade the ban because you moved and somehow seemed surprised at getting rebanned as evidenced in this query.

So yes, I am totally persecuting you for no good reason......... :rolleyes:

P.S. Public apologies suck IMO, I would never ask for one or give one.

Well you did kinda just prove his point about being too serious. :lol1: Then again, I would ban uber for no reason at all.

Most of the public apologies are worthless and forced. Obviously they have no place. Though some have been heartfelt. I know from experience. I don't believe I am retarded for publicly apologizing to iClean. It was not forced of me to do so, it was heartfelt and had nothing to do with inflating anyones ego. It was done because I crossed a line with someone that considered me a friend. It became a public matter because of the eventual disbandment of his alliance. I apologized to him, as well as all those who considered him a friend because I was a dick and got a friend removed from the game. The thread went better than I thought it would, and I hold no ill feelings toward anyone who trolled it.

So in conclusion, sometimes public apologies are necessary.

It would actually be a good idea to have a "public apology thread" like the alliance surrender and stuff thread.

Also Uber you need to apologize for creating this thread.

no

seriously you do.

Actually it would be an even better idea if in the course of a thread entitled 'Public Apologies' the OP actually contained an apology. <_<

I'm all for sincere public apologies. Ones that are nothing more than a PR ploy (forced or otherwise)? Meh.