Public Apologies

UberSpion

I think this was just an excuse for Uber to get at Bob about banning him from #cnvalhalla.

I agree but I certainly didn't expect you to be the one that pointed out. :blink: As far as I can tell his little anecdote about getting banned has absolutely nothing to do the stated topic of public apologies.

I agree but I certainly didn't expect you to be the one that pointed out. :blink: As far as I can tell his little anecdote about getting banned has absolutely nothing to do the stated topic of public apologies.

I don't think any of my threads have ever had anything to do with anything... it's a vortex of thought you see... much like a toilet bowl, but with a happy ending. And didn't you have to apologize for something once back in the day?

p.s. I didn't evade the ban, I had someone in valhalla remove it for me. kthxbai

I have always seen the Cyberverse as my personal plaything to manipulate and alter as I see fit. Any commentary, apology or declaration has been made from an IC perspective with the intent to push my own agenda or those of my alliance or allies.

Isn't that how it should be for everyone?

I have always seen the Cyberverse as my personal plaything to manipulate and alter as I see fit. Any commentary, apology or declaration has been made from an IC perspective with the intent to push my own agenda or those of my alliance or allies.

Isn't that how it should be for everyone?

i need you to apologize for saying that ;)

I never apologise UberSpion, I'm sorry but that's just the way I am.

nor should you, it has no application outside of RL

Who are you really IC? What do you get from this game? What do you need from this "game?" How does it entertain you?

These are all excellent questions.

I don't do the RP thing except in a very limited way. Whatever perceptions people have with regard to me would probably be identical if they knew me IRL.

It really does take a lot to get me angry. I really do believe in giving people second, third and fourth chances if there's even a slight possibility that they're serious about it. I am genuinely annoyed when I read the word 'rouge'. I am appalled at the lack of critical thinking that is sometimes displayed here. I don't cave to bullies. And I am genuinely impressed by the fact that some of my favorite contributors to CN are half the age of this semi-retired college professor.

I'm not sure that I "get" anything from CN, other than the opportunity to interact with people I would ordinarily never meet. And I would say that 99.9% of those interactions have been enjoyable.

I'm certain I don't "need" anything from CN, so I can dispense with that easily. Forgive me, Admin, but the game could go down permanently tomorrow and the net effect on my life would be nil.

How does CN entertain me? Again, it usually has to do with my personal interactions. The people in Nordreich, many of whom I have 'known' for more than two years, are an incredibly diverse group in terms of age, location, education, background and, shockingly, ethnicity. I genuinely like most of them. (The NoR members I can't say this about are those I haven't spoken with very much.)

I have belonged to at least 10 and possibly more alliances in CN. However, I've never enjoyed the company of a group of people as much as I do those in Nordreich, even when we're disagreeing. For all the propaganda, I've yet to meet a more open, welcoming bunch.

CN provides a means (or perhaps an excuse?) for me to keep in touch with these people more readily, so that's its entertainment value, I suppose.

Now, about apologies....

It depends.

Many apologies are dictated at the point of a gun. Hyperion's apology at the end of the noCB war is one of the best examples of an apology extracted under duress that nobody believed was genuine. Such 'apologies' are obvious, and they're meaningless.

Every now and then, however, a real, unsolicited apology pops up on this forum. While I take no particular pleasure in reading them -- I reserve my guilty feelings of schadenfreude for my occasional perusals of the warn/ban appeals thread in Moderation -- I am usually impressed by their sincerity.

The one time an apology was demanded from me it was for the most trumped-up garbage I'd personally encountered in CN to that point. To my interlocutors' obvious frustration I refused to admit any wrongdoing and, therefore, refused to apologize. I simply wouldn't budge. (Since then, most of the people involved in that incident have apologized to me. But these were private and I certainly didn't extort it out of them.)

If I say I'm sorry, I mean it. Period.

Ugh. I had to do a couple during the Apology Fest of 08. Utterly retarded.

When I first read that I interpreted as though you had a threesome with 2 people during some festival.

New high or new low?

Wow. I'm speechless.

Uber has not only posted a thought-provoking thread that raises some valid points, but I find myself agreeing with him. Surely this is a sign of the impending apocalypse.

I'll tell you exactly where CN can stick its public apologies and other humiliation tactics. Here's a hint: bring a flashlight.

So I ask you CN... Who are you really IC? What do you get from this game? What do you need from this "game?" How does it entertain you?

I am pretty similar to my OOC personality IC, much to the annoyance of some people, I get a facebook/myspace type of use out of this game, I use this game to make new friends and to give myself another social outlet. I need the occasional tech raid or war to keep me interested enough to continue playing this game, the IRC/Forums component of this game is also very important to me, as seen by my top 20 poster ranking. it entertains me because it gives me a politics culture to study that leads to war far more often than the RL one, and changes far rapider as well, which gives me much entertainment.

It became more public when two of p0rk's friends helped him out in #UINE. Also, Uber, give it up. It's hard to take anything you say seriously, and sporting that avatar doesn't help.

I was only speaking generally, not on any specific incident. Also, I haven't actually read most, or maybe any, of the recent apology threads. So I'm not familiar with the situation you're describing.

The purpose of public apology is to build the ego of the nation or alliance demanding one. They serve nothing other than to show the submission of the apologizing party to the will of the offended party. Now private apologies are of course different, but public apology are matters of ego.

This is generally true. There are the occasional apologies that are issued publicly that are entirely unsolicited. Some of those are merely ploys for either PR or to try to somewhat subtly appear as the victim or underdog and get people on your side ("Oh, he apologized, he's so honorable! *swoon*"), but some of them are actually genuinely trying to make amends for something they truly regret. Those apologies (genuine and unforced or unsolicited) are few and far between, as they should be, and the only ones worth anything.

Apologies should only ever be issued privately for OOC events, and even for IC events a forced apology is a waste of everyone's time. If someone offends you IC then the game has a war feature that can be used to solve the issue, otherwise diplomacy can win the day. For the most part apologies are either A) Demanded by a ruler or alliance to stroke their ego and/ or publicly humiliate the offending party or B ) Given by someone to generate good PR for themselves and/ or benefit them in some other way.

Yeah, there are the rare occasions where someone feels bad for making a mistake, but those apologies should be made directly to the person that they feel bad about having wronged and should not be subjected to the mass swooning and nose-butting of the rest of the community.