Global Alliance and Treaty Organization Announcement

I can assure you that there was nothing forced here and that NPO-GATO relations have been amiable. This PIAT is just the solidification of a friendship that began to grow through the occupation. You weren't there in GATO, you didn't see them importing experts to help our alliance, didn't see NPO members sacrificing their time and effort for an alliance they weren't a part of, didn't see them giving us the space we needed to be ourselves. This says that in spite of everything, we've found common ground and hope that we can build on it in the future.

[sarcasm]However, the secret one-way MDP they forced us to sign was definitely despotic.[/sarcasm]

Yes that would require a dropping of the illusion by some they are for sovereignty.

I must say I'm extremely puzzled here by some people's total disrespect for and doubt of GATO's ability to self govern. I am saddened to see that on the day we restored GATO's sovereignty, outside forces are eager to once again trample on it by subjecting it to other foreign influence. An alliance being free means it gets to make decisions that you don't like as well as that we don't like. We did not force this on GATO, there would not be huge disappointment if there wasn't a PIAT. Moo has given the outline of the situation, no one with the knowledge to actually be able to comment has contradicted this. The issue here is some people seem to only being able to interpret sovereignty as the agreement with their ideas. It is a shame and shows a real lack of openness or common sense on their side. I for one hope they can come to a point where they recognize a free GATO won't always be there for anyone 100 percent of the time, but do what any sovereign alliance does and follow their own path.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! The love for GATO under the the Viceroyalty didn't last long did it?

From what I read here, freedom for GATO means we are free to whatever you want, not what we want.

From being under the tyranny of NPO (which wasn't tyrannical at all in the latter stages [can't comment on the earlier stages, as I wasn't there then, but why ruin a good story?), we must now be under the tyranny of everyone else and dance to their tune!

We are free to make our own choices. If you do not like that, or the the choices we make...shame!

And lets look at this treaty.

I don't see anything that is anymore than being polite to each other, spying is bad, unauthorised attacks are bad, we can aid each other if we choose. So, just like the situation between any other alliances. The horror!! Yes, I can see why this is a despicable move.

From what I read here, freedom for GATO means we are free to whatever you want, not what we want.

From being under the tyranny of NPO (which wasn't tyrannical at all in the latter stages [can't comment on the earlier stages, as I wasn't there then, but why ruin a good story?), we must now be under the tyranny of everyone else and dance to their tune!

I'm not one of those making a big deal out of this PIAT, but comparing a near year long viceroyalty to people expressing their opinions on here is a little ridiculous to say the least.

Edited by Kindom of Goon

We are free to make our own choices. If you do not like that, or the the choices we make...shame!

And lets look at this treaty.

I don't see anything that is anymore than being polite to each other, spying is bad, unauthorised attacks are bad, we can aid each other if we choose. So, just like the situation between any other alliances. The horror!! Yes, I can see why this is a despicable move.

I think the real issue people have, is the sheer speed at which the treaty was signed. Somebody's FA department wasn't thinking clearly. They should have well known that any treaty between ye at the onset of your freedom, would have resulted in this. Why ye didn't decide to wait a bit I have no idea, a piece of paper signifies nothing, so if you and NPO truly get along, would it have killed ye to just wait a week, maybe two, at least until you had your full and formal government in place before signing something? It was a poor FA move, and that's what it comes down to. GATO would have received much better PR if ye had actually thought it over, and then signed, because then the trolls wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. As it is, by signing so soon, you've got all sorts of speculation about how your hand was forced. Whether this was the case or not, we don't know, and there's no way for us to know, other than your word, which is already undermined by these allegations of NPO forcing your hand.

You're free to make your own choice yes, and we're free to tell you when we don't like them either. That said, you don't see any of us telling you that you can't sign it.

*Veneke chuckles

Again, I don't think that its the type of treaty at stake here, but the timescale in which it was signed in. In fact, it may have gone down better had you signed a temporary MDP, due to expire within a month say, while you get your MDP protection web back in place. At least then you'd have a valid defense against the trolls. At the moment, you seem to be saying "we get along, so we signed a PIAT immediately after we got our freedom", it makes some sense, I suppose, but I don't think you though through the rest of your options. If ye got along so well, why not pluck for the MDP straight off? Why go for the meaningless PIAT?

I will admit that there's probably a bit of you being stuck between a rock and a hard place in this, insofar as it is that you can't do anything without attracting some kind of trolling, but me, personally, in your shoes I'd have gone for a different path. Either the temp MDP until you got your defenses back in place (and then downgraded to a PIAT), or gone treaty-less while ye formalize your .gov and then sign the treaty. While certain elements of Bob may not have liked the decision, at the very least you could say that "well, you know, we thought about it, and aye, this is what we want to do." You'd probably get a few "still under the viceroyship eh GATO?" comments, but at least you could counter that argument with "we're a sovereign alliance yada yada yada", with more weight than you are able to currently.

Edit: sp

Edited by Veneke

Hey GATO. When people lobbied for you to be free, they didn't mean get freedom then run back into the arms of your oppressor. Methinks GATO has a severe case of battered women syndrome.

You mean when people lobbied for GATO to be free, they didn't mean for them to be free but to agree with everything this new group said. I wonder why are people so apprehensive about a PIAT, this isn't a offensive or even a defensive treaty. The cyberverse is sometimes truly puzzling.

I think some of you had your rants lined up for an MDP and can't bear to waste them ;).

^Sigged.

Edited by Triyun

I'm not one of those making a big deal out of this PIAT, but comparing a near year long viceroyalty to people expressing their opinions on here is a little ridiculous to say the least.

Well to be honest that is how it seems. It seems that GATO must do as everyone else wants and only treaty whom those who lobbied for their freedom want them to treaty with. Frankly, that is just another form of viceroyalty for GATO.

The same happened with Polaris when they signed with Valhalla and Pacifica. People were whining and complaining that they did that. GATO is free. Let them do as THEY please and not what everyone else wants. If those who lobbied for them truly wanted them to be free, then they would not complain. If they wanted GATO to be free to take part in an anti-NPO crusade, then that is not truly wishing them to be free. It is wishing GATO be free to do as those who lobbied for them want.

And that is simply replacing one viceroyalty for yet another.

Well to be honest that is how it seems. It seems that GATO must do as everyone else wants and only treaty whom those who lobbied for their freedom want them to treaty with. Frankly, that is just another form of viceroyalty for GATO.

The same happened with Polaris when they signed with Valhalla and Pacifica. People were whining and complaining that they did that. GATO is free. Let them do as THEY please and not what everyone else wants. If those who lobbied for them truly wanted them to be free, then they would not complain. If they wanted GATO to be free to take part in an anti-NPO crusade, then that is not truly wishing them to be free. It is wishing GATO be free to do as those who lobbied for them want.

You know, you're really starting to grow on me.

GATO is free, people. Deal with it.

I think the real issue people have, is the sheer speed at which the treaty was signed. Somebody's FA department wasn't thinking clearly. They should have well known that any treaty between ye at the onset of your freedom, would have resulted in this. Why ye didn't decide to wait a bit I have no idea, a piece of paper signifies nothing, so if you and NPO truly get along, would it have killed ye to just wait a week, maybe two, at least until you had your full and formal government in place before signing something? It was a poor FA move, and that's what it comes down to. GATO would have received much better PR if ye had actually thought it over, and then signed, because then the trolls wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. As it is, by signing so soon, you've got all sorts of speculation about how your hand was forced. Whether this was the case or not, we don't know, and there's no way for us to know, other than your word, which is already undermined by these allegations of NPO forcing your hand.

You're free to make your own choice yes, and we're free to tell you when we don't like them either. That said, you don't see any of us telling you that you can't sign it.

*Veneke chuckles

Again, I don't think that its the type of treaty at stake here, but the timescale in which it was signed in. In fact, it may have gone down better had you signed a temporary MDP, due to expire within a month say, while you get your MDP protection web back in place. At least then you'd have a valid defense against the trolls. At the moment, you seem to be saying "we get along, so we signed a PIAT immediately after we got our freedom", it makes some sense, I suppose, but I don't think you though through the rest of your options. If ye got along so well, why not pluck for the MDP straight off? Why go for the meaningless PIAT?

I will admit that there's probably a bit of you being stuck between a rock and a hard place in this, insofar as it is that you can't do anything without attracting some kind of trolling, but me, personally, in your shoes I'd have gone for a different path. Either the temp MDP until you got your defenses back in place (and then downgraded to a PIAT), or gone treaty-less while ye formalize your .gov and then sign the treaty. While certain elements of Bob may not have liked the decision, at the very least you could say that "well, you know, we thought about it, and aye, this is what we want to do." You'd probably get a few "still under the viceroyship eh GATO?" comments, but at least you could counter that argument with "we're a sovereign alliance yada yada yada", with more weight than you are able to currently.

Edit: sp

lawlzworthy along with the rest. A PIAT means nothing. it is a little better than a NAP. It means that GATO and NPO have been quite close for a year. Who knows, maybe NPO was nice and rubbed GATOs belly everyday and scooped the kitty litter regularly (sorry had to play that joke :P) and GATO while chafing at the leash to be free, considered that when offered a PIAT, NPO was not sooooooo bad and it was a step towards relations that could exist in the future. or we could see this get canceled in the future.

what you are basically saying is the same as all the other gnashers of teeth. GATO should have done what you wanted versus what they wanted to do. Frankly, as a the sovereign alliance GATO is now, your respect and advice is most likely not needed or wanted.

I disagree. Being free from another alliances control does not mean you're free from critisism, which in the end of the day is just someone expressing their opinion, thats it. Every decision an alliance makes on here is always going to be analyzed and criticised, the same applies to GATO. Its not always going to be fair but its something you have to deal with, either by ignoring it or defending your decision.

Again, I don't think a PIAT/NAP is anything tha warrents making a big deal over, and I fully expected something like this. At the same time, you can't blame people for finding it a little strange.