Global Alliance and Treaty Organization Announcement

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably means GATO turned down an MDP or higher and offered this instead.

I would make fun of NPO is they proposed GATO an MDP.

I would make fun of GATO if they accepted it.

I'm not sure which I would make more fun of, but I am sure that I would not be the only one.

tl;dr - This is still an unnatural move, clearly from the perspective of many. Perhaps even most GATO members - I don't think we will ever know.

I look forward to engaging in our friendship with GATO as equals.

I'm puzzled by those who call these terms "forced." No one forced GATO to accept these terms. They are free to make any treaties they wish and do all Things and Acts which alliances may do.

Me too, Cortath. Is being a pleasure working with you.

I like this purely because the amount of tears it is producing.

Man, you are one of the reasons I would like to join MK one day

And lets look at this treaty.

I don't see anything that is anymore than being polite to each other, spying is bad, unauthorised attacks are bad, we can aid each other if we choose. So, just like the situation between any other alliances. The horror!! Yes, I can see why this is a despicable move.

I know. The horror indeed. Is just like the things we do with any other alliance we are not in war with, like in this moment is everyone.

I just hope GATO remembers those that fought for them.

Not in a million years

I just hope GATO remembers those that fought for them.

I'm less worried about those who 'fought' for us than those who continue to fight for us. I figured that most of the 'Free GATO!' crowd were fairweather friends (though that term seems wrong when they were friends during the viceroyalty and not afterwards), and this thread has only proved it. They wanted one thing out of GATO, and now that is gone, so their interest in us is gone. In the future I hope our alliance becomes closer with the people that actually care about GATO, instead of those who care only as long as it serves their purpose.

And of course we'll never forget about Cata, the CVF, the IAA, and all the others who actually stood with us during our time of need. As the dude in charge of education in GATO, I plan on making sure of that.

And lets look at this treaty.

I don't see anything that is anymore than being polite to each other, spying is bad, unauthorised attacks are bad, we can aid each other if we choose. So, just like the situation between any other alliances. The horror!! Yes, I can see why this is a despicable move.

This has nothing to do with the fact that the treaty was signed by GATO and NPO, but more the treaty itself. I'm not being sarcastic but asking a serious question.

Based on what you said, why did you feel it was necessary to sign a treaty? Which one of those things couldn't be done without a treaty? Perhaps it's just a personal belief on my end, but I do not understand the incessant need to put every last friendship down on paper. Is it not enough that each alliance knows that they like the other and wish the other no ill will?

It is quite the shame that some in the free GATO crowd would choose to simply use GATO as a tool to fulfill their broader anti-NPO goals and are now so willing to jump on the alliance when it does one thing that they don't like. It really goes to show you that it is not the reality of what is going on that matters too them, but a blind dislike of one alliance or group of alliances in particular that drives them to use others without any second thought.

I'm less worried about those who 'fought' for us than those who continue to fight for us. I figured that most of the 'Free GATO!' crowd were fairweather friends (though that term seems wrong when they were friends during the viceroyalty and not afterwards), and this thread has only proved it.

You Sir are an excellent observer.

It is quite the shame that some in the free GATO crowd would choose to simply use GATO as a tool to fulfill their broader anti-NPO goals and are now so willing to jump on the alliance when it does one thing that they don't like. It really goes to show you that it is not the reality of what is going on that matters too them, but a blind dislike of one alliance or group of alliances in particular that drives them to use others without any second thought.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this scenario, but it's an analogy that might better illustrate what some peoples reactions are stemmed from, as opposed to your opinion.

If a girl was kidnapped, held for ransom, spent many weeks or months with her captive under his control awaiting her freedom, then was finally freed, but chose not to leave because she had developed Stockholm Syndrome, would it not be right for her family, friends and the general public as a whole to be concerned for her well being?

(No I'm not calling NPO a kidnapper nor GATO an innocent girl, just creating a similar situation)

I'm less worried about those who 'fought' for us than those who continue to fight for us. I figured that most of the 'Free GATO!' crowd were fairweather friends (though that term seems wrong when they were friends during the viceroyalty and not afterwards), and this thread has only proved it. They wanted one thing out of GATO, and now that is gone, so their interest in us is gone. In the future I hope our alliance becomes closer with the people that actually care about GATO, instead of those who care only as long as it serves their purpose.

And of course we'll never forget about Cata, the CVF, the IAA, and all the others who actually stood with us during our time of need. As the dude in charge of education in GATO, I plan on making sure of that.

Here's hoping. You can bet I'll blow the whistle if you start to suck. ;)

Remember when you held GATO at war for months and months and then planted a Viceroy on top of them for an even longer period because someone had entered their alliance and gone six months previous and, at the time, they weren't even aware of his identity?

Oh I'm sorry, were you talking about grudges? Pot, meet kettle.

I was thinking of typing up a similar response, but instead chose to just quote yours. Congrats on your freedom GATO, best of luck as you move forward, and congrats to both alliances for the treaty.

I'm not saying that this is the case in this scenario, but it's an analogy that might better illustrate what some peoples reactions are stemmed from, as opposed to your opinion.

If a girl was kidnapped, held for ransom, spent many weeks or months with her captive under his control awaiting her freedom, then was finally freed, but chose not to leave because she had developed Stockholm Syndrome, would it not be right for her family, friends and the general public as a whole to be concerned for her well being?

(No I'm not calling NPO a kidnapper nor GATO an innocent girl, just creating a similar situation)

I do not really think it is the same at all honestly. NPO provided GATO substantial aid in terms of our experts in various aspects of the game that they proved to be deficient in during the war. Our "occupation" if you want to call it that was one where we truly aimed at aiding and rebuilding the GATO alliance. Furthermore, I resent any comparison in general comparing and in game war to a kidnapping, that may have not been your intention, but the intentions of anyone prosecuting a war against anyone else is not comparable.

Remember when you held GATO at war for months and months and then planted a Viceroy on top of them for an even longer period because someone had entered their alliance and gone six months previous and, at the time, they weren't even aware of his identity?

Oh I'm sorry, were you talking about grudges? Pot, meet kettle.

Govt is the representative of the members. However, our viceroyship was not one based on grudges, but rather one based on an attempt to avoid future conflict. We have already had GATO members posting in this thread contradicting accounts of an evil occupation. I am once again amazed at the ability of outsiders to judge situations which they are not involved in, and do not have knowledge about. Rather I tend to prefer to trust the accounts of those with first hand evidence and experience. However, that is is just me. I do not have Vox's omniscient knowledge about everyone's intentions and actions in the cyberverse.

I do not really think it is the same at all honestly. NPO provided GATO substantial aid in terms of our experts in various aspects of the game that they proved to be deficient in during the war. Our "occupation" if you want to call it that was one where we truly aimed at aiding and rebuilding the GATO alliance. Furthermore, I resent any comparison in general comparing and in game war to a kidnapping, that may have not been your intention, but the intentions of anyone prosecuting a war against anyone else is not comparable.

[snip]

Might I add, Comrade Triyun, that we also provided GATO with substantial aid both in terms of generous terms for selling tech to us, aid for nations who required war aid, as well as aid for special projects.

You may resent it, but the comparisson is there as you dictated their actions for them and controlled their freedom - similar to that of a kidnapper. If a kidnapper feeds the person, gives them clothing and shelter, and perhaps even teaches them something, it does not change the fact that they still controlled their freedom. Therefore, the stockholm syndrome effect could be a valid concern for those that stand here and question this treaty.

Please take note that I am not one of them. I wish GATO the best and only question the necessity of the PIAT itself, not the intentions behind it. I also was never one of those who took cause to "Free GATO" so I am not a "fairweather fan" as Vercing put it, simply an oberserver offering an opinion that contradicts your own.

GATO wasn't getting out of this without something to tie them together. Pretty much expected. Honestly, I think Bob got it right. Everyone is upset over... a PIAT. PIATS are basically garbage treaties. They mean nothing and they do nothing. The fact that GATO agreed to that and nothing higher is not something to insult them over.

Since I didn't post in the other thread (as I don't feel like reading it) I'll take this time to congratulate my fellow brown alliance to finally obtaining your freedom. I can't wait to begin working with you for the betterment of our home.

Also

I look forward to engaging in our friendship with GATO as equals.

I lol'd

Edited by RandomInterrupt

I can't wait to being working with you for the betterment of our home.

Absolutely. I'm sure that together (and I include all fellow brown alliances in this) we can raise the awesomeness levels of the Brown sphere.

I never really understood how an alliance that lost its sovereignty could be able to sign a treaty with the alliance that took said sovereignty. The only conclusion I would ever come to when trying to discern this is that the alliance is hardly the same alliance it was prior to losing sovereignty as it is post-occupation.

Oh well.

Best of luck to this new GATO. I still recognize some of the names in government, and know that they will make the most of their new treaty with the Pacific Order.