Global Alliance and Treaty Organization Announcement

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And lets look at this treaty.

I don't see anything that is anymore than being polite to each other, spying is bad, unauthorised attacks are bad, we can aid each other if we choose. So, just like the situation between any other alliances. The horror!! Yes, I can see why this is a despicable move.

This has nothing to do with the fact that the treaty was signed by GATO and NPO, but more the treaty itself. I'm not being sarcastic but asking a serious question.

Based on what you said, why did you feel it was necessary to sign a treaty? Which one of those things couldn't be done without a treaty? Perhaps it's just a personal belief on my end, but I do not understand the incessant need to put every last friendship down on paper. Is it not enough that each alliance knows that they like the other and wish the other no ill will?

(still waiting on a response - re-posting incase it was missed)

Or you could say that it is exactly a post war reconstruction. Ill take exactly over the rhetorical stretch of similar any day of the week.

You are welcome to call it whatever you want - I'm simply refuting the point made by your comrade and offering another view on the subject. Incase you missed it, your comrade tried to claim that everyone was unhappy b/c they could no longer "use GATO as a tool to fulfill their broader anti-NPO goals." I do apprecaite your opinion though

Since I told GATO that I did not care whether it was under NPO rule or not, I also feel the need to congratulate them on their freedom, as I did indeed mean that I was completely neutral on the subject.

In addition, I am glad to see GATO making wise policy decisions.

Edited by Byron Orpheus

Based on what you said, why did you feel it was necessary to sign a treaty? Which one of those things couldn't be done without a treaty? Perhaps it's just a personal belief on my end, but I do not understand the incessant need to put every last friendship down on paper. Is it not enough that each alliance knows that they like the other and wish the other no ill will?

Given the long history of strife between GATO and NPO, and as has already been pointed out in this thread, an offer from NPO promising that they would not attack GATO again would seem to be acceptable, yes?

The situation is unusual, but then again most relationships between alliances are unusual. There are no ordinary friendships, and no ordinary enemies.

But in this case you'd think that what is in effect an OADP would make a whole lot of sense to GATO. Not only are they getting a promise by NPO to not attack them, they're also getting partial protection, which is especially handy since with the lapsing of the surrender terms they have no treaty partners bound to protect them.

This gives them time to find their way. No alliance in their position with any intelligence would refuse such an offer.

Given the long history of strife between GATO and NPO, and as has already been pointed out in this thread, an offer from NPO promising that they would not attack GATO again would seem to be acceptable, yes?

I disagree - it's nothing more than a 48 hour warning before a pending attack.

The situation is unusual, but then again most relationships between alliances are unusual. There are no ordinary friendships, and no ordinary enemies.

But in this case you'd think that what is in effect an OADP would make a whole lot of sense to GATO. Not only are they getting a promise by NPO to not attack them, they're also getting partial protection, which is especially handy since with the lapsing of the surrender terms they have no treaty partners bound to protect them.

This gives them time to find their way. No alliance in their position with any intelligence would refuse such an offer.

To my knowledge, there have been numerous alliances waiting on GATO's release so that they could realign themselves (officially) with their friends.

And again, I'm more questioning the signing of ToA/NAP/PIAT/ODP's in general more than this one in particular. To me they have always seemed like a waste of ink and paper.

Edited by HeraclesTheGreat

This has nothing to do with the fact that the treaty was signed by GATO and NPO, but more the treaty itself. I'm not being sarcastic but asking a serious question.

(still waiting on a response - re-posting incase it was missed)

I'm inclined to agree with you. Its just a way of formalising it, is all. Just wait for the !@#$ storm if we should ever sign a MDP with NPO.

(Not saying we will, or even that it is being discussed)

Edited by Lord Rune

This is HORRID news! I appreciate all the NPO has done in regards to helping our alliance, and I am quite fond of some of the members, but the mere fact that we didn't vote on our ONE treaty is nucking futs. This isn't Democracy, this is a freakin' oligarchy. Thank you for aloting me my one vote.

You mean when people lobbied for GATO to be free, they didn't mean for them to be free but to agree with everything this new group said.

No I mean what I said. Keep your strawman out of here.

I wonder why are people so apprehensive about a PIAT

I myself am not so concerned with the nature of the treaty. All I know is that if I were to be placed under an oppressive regime for months and months, upon my release, I would run in the opposite direction and not tentatively test the already blood soaked waters.

All I know is that if I were to be placed under an oppressive regime for months and months, upon my release, I would run in the opposite direction and not tentatively test the already blood soaked waters.

By all accounts by those actually under said regime it was not in any way oppressive. I guess you will have to search for new biased, baseless anti-Pacifican propaganda.

By all accounts by those actually under said regime it was not in any way oppressive.

You should visit these forums more. I can recall several instances where people were removed/marginalized for not following the viceroys will. I can't be bothered to hunt it down for you but I'm sure others are aware of what I'm talking about.

Edited by Captain Flinders

You should visit these forums more. I can recall several instances where people were removed/marginalized for not following the viceroys will. I can'y be bothered to hunt it down for you but I'm sure others are aware of what I'm talking about.

I can't be bothered to hunt them down and find them but I assure you that unicorns exist somewhere on this planet.

I can't be bothered to hunt them down and find them but I assure you that unicorns exist somewhere on this planet.

It's not my job to educate you. I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to reinforce what I said. If they don't, no biggie. I'm hardly seeking the approval of yourself or anyone else. GATO members and those driven from GATO during the viceroy know what I'm referring to.

You should visit these forums more. I can recall several instances where people were removed/marginalized for not following the viceroys will. I can't be bothered to hunt it down for you but I'm sure others are aware of what I'm talking about.

Some people were removed from the alliance. That was early on, I think. Then came new management. When I returned, some 200 days ago, things were a lot more friendly between us.

It's not my job to educate you. I'm sure someone will come along soon enough to reinforce what I said. If they don't, no biggie. I'm hardly seeking the approval of yourself or anyone else. GATO members and those driven from GATO during the viceroy know what I'm referring to.

Yes, GATO agrees with your assessment of NPO so much that they signed a treat with them. That'll show them what they really think!

Some people were removed from the alliance. That was early on, I think. Then came new management. When I returned, some 200 days ago, things were a lot more friendly between us.

No doubt those removed were involved in the initial hostilities in some way or another.

Edited by Byron Orpheus

Yes, GATO agrees with your assessment of NPO so much that they signed a treat with them. That'll show them what they really think!

No doubt those removed were involved in the initial hostilities in some way or another.

I'm sure this treaty is based completely on their true, undying friendship. I mean, they have nothing but good history together.

I'm sure this treaty is based completely on their true, undying friendship. I mean, they have nothing but good history together.

It doesn't matter what we say, does it? You have your ideas. And nothing, it seems will change them.

Or perhaps GATO has a maturity that surpasses that of the anti-Pacifica rabble-rousers and saw the error of its ways.

Even prior to the last war, GATO was not being anti-NPO.

The alliances involved in the free GATO movement yesterday then the insult GATO movement today had selfish reasons for their wanting GATO “freed”. Earlier today I mentioned that it was a way to oppose NPO and while this is true it was, more accurately a way to indirectly attack NPO. This gives them the impression they are freedom fighters without having to take any risks. The very idea of going directly head to head with NPO would require courage that is in short supply with their enemies. The very fact that these same alliances who harass NPO indirectly at every opportunity lack the courage to directly attack them on the OWF or in game, while at the same time calling themselves friends or non enemies of NPO reinforces this truth. These people had a cash cow and it was GATO and EZI. In the stroke of a pen that propaganda tool was (mostly) taken from them, make no mistake these issues are nothing but a way to indirectly attack NPO. GATO was merely a pawn in their insidious plan.

Upon being released from their terms GATO signed a PIAT with NPO. This treaty is insignificant except for the message it sends about the former enemies new non threatening relationship. Instead of rejoicing at their success, the free GATO movement couldn't insult GATO quickly or harshly enough. Having succeeded in their endeavour one would think they would have spent some time basking in the warmth of their success and congratulating GATO on their release from terms, but something appalled them and sent them on aggressive rampage against GATO & to a lesser extent (unsurprisingly) NPO.

The aggressive reaction against GATO throughout the day today can only be explained by the signing of this PIAT. The aggressive reaction against GATO throughout the day today bears all the hallmarks of an unfulfilled project. This leaves us with one question: what were the expectations of the free GATO movement beyond wanting GATO freed from terms?

Assuming they wanted GATO freed in the first place, something that looks unlikely after the reaction today they appear to have wanted GATO to break all ties with NPO. If this is the case, treaties with the free GATO movement alliances seems to be the next logical step. I don’t believe they would have wanted GATO to isolate themselves from the world after all the work they put in, it was job done, time to collect. This is the logical conclusion when the question is posed. It is apparent that these alliances had plans for GATO after they were freed, they were to give up the freedom they received to a cabal who had already decided GATOs future and were furious when their plan didn’t come to fruition.

Congratulations GATO. You were released from one set of terms and avoided a second set in the same day. Enjoy your freedom and continue with decisions by GATO, for GATO and not the fraudulent free GATO movement

Edited by Alterego