Global Alliance and Treaty Organization Announcement

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could anyone think that we wouldn't want this treaty? Anything with non-aggression involving the NPO sounds like a good idea to me after all this time. I don't mind being friendly to those who I shared company with these past months, even if their company was not an option that could be done away with. I can't believe people are balking at this.

How could anyone think that we wouldn't want this treaty? Anything with non-aggression involving the NPO sounds like a good idea to me after all this time. I don't mind being friendly to those who I shared company with these past months, even if their company was not an option that could be done away with. I can't believe people are balking at this.

The owl makes a solid point.

I disagree. Being free from another alliances control does not mean you're free from critisism, which in the end of the day is just someone expressing their opinion, thats it. Every decision an alliance makes on here is always going to be analyzed and criticised, the same applies to GATO. Its not always going to be fair but its something you have to deal with, either by ignoring it or defending your decision.

Again, I don't think a PIAT/NAP is anything tha warrents making a big deal over, and I fully expected something like this. At the same time, you can't blame people for finding it a little strange.

Criticism is one thing, what many are doing here is tantamount to stating that GATO should not control their own FA since it is not in line with what the "Free GATO" crowd. To me it seems as if many in the "Free GATO" crowd truly meant "Free GATO so we may rule them instead". Many of these are also the same that cheered Polaris when they rose to sanction under terms and then booed and jeered them when they signed with Pacifica and Valhalla after the terms were over.

Vox and many others simply want to try and establish an anti-NPO bloc or rip NPO out of the MDP web completely. If an alliance they once cheered for, does something they don't like, then all of a sudden, they boo and hiss and gnash their teeth. frankly, it is ridiculous and goes against their vaunted "Sovereignty for all alliances" type lines and mottoes.

Just because GATO decided to sign a PIAT with Pacifica does not mean that Pacifica still has a jackboot on GATO's throat. to state it does means that you do not think that GATO is a sovereign alliance. That is far more than just criticism.

Interesting, I suppose but not unique in the history of this planet. The NPpO was at one time the antagonist to the ODN up through and including the Great Stupidity. While the NPO did not officially assign a viceroy to the ODN (we did have Sponge-boy as the unofficial official ODN Viceroy for a time there) the Terms of Surrender coming out of the Citrus War were the harshest terms to date, including a mandatory Oath, something yet to be duplicated. The point is that the ODN worked with Sponge-boy and Dibler coming out of the Great Stupidity and formed closer diplomacy with the NPpO. Though for the ODN and NPpO it took a good deal more time than this GATO – NPO agreement, this thing is not entirely unique or even that surprising.

You may resent it, but the comparisson is there as you dictated their actions for them and controlled their freedom - similar to that of a kidnapper. If a kidnapper feeds the person, gives them clothing and shelter, and perhaps even teaches them something, it does not change the fact that they still controlled their freedom. Therefore, the stockholm syndrome effect could be a valid concern for those that stand here and question this treaty.

Or you could say that it is exactly a post war reconstruction. Ill take exactly over the rhetorical stretch of similar any day of the week.

However, our viceroyship was not one based on grudges, but rather one based on an attempt to avoid future conflict.

Oh when you put it that way it sounds like having a viceroy is great and mutually beneficial. In fact, Pacifica should probably let someone from MK take over for a year just to make sure the two of you never have another war like that last one.

Yes GATO's free, and I completely support their freedom to make whatever decisions they want as a sovereign alliance. Doesn't mean I can't strongly disagree with them (as Goon so elloquently pointed out). Does GATO support what just happened to them? Do they think befriending Pacifica makes that less likely to happen to another alliance? Or do they just not care?

Hey GATO. When people lobbied for you to be free, they didn't mean get freedom then run back into the arms of your oppressor. Methinks GATO has a severe case of battered women syndrome.
what you are basically saying is the same as all the other gnashers of teeth. GATO should have done what you wanted versus what they wanted to do. Frankly, as a the sovereign alliance GATO is now, your respect and advice is most likely not needed or wanted.

Quoting these for emphasis. It seems to me, from the comments by members of GATO, that they have worked and negotiated to ensure peace and an end to the viceroyship. Everyone else on their "Free FAN/GATO/whomever else" kicks have done nothing more than the equivalent of scream at a television set about the injustices in other parts of the world. Perhaps if people had spent less time grandstanding on the forums and more time with real diplomacy and negotiation, this moment could have come sooner for GATO.

That's something to think about for everyone who wants peace for FAN.

That said, congratulations GATO.

Quoting these for emphasis. It seems to me, from the comments by members of GATO, that they have worked and negotiated to ensure peace and an end to the viceroyship. Everyone else on their "Free FAN/GATO/whomever else" kicks have done nothing more than the equivalent of scream at a television set about the injustices in other parts of the world. Perhaps if people had spent less time grandstanding on the forums and more time with real diplomacy and negotiation, this moment could have come sooner for GATO.

That's something to think about for everyone who wants peace for FAN.

That said, congratulations GATO.

You go and try to negotiate with these $@whompers. There is no negotiation. You do what they tell you or the war continues. Diplomacy? You must be kidding. More like suggestions to have marital relations with yourself.

So the war continues. Some of us don't take orders well.

You go and try to negotiate with these $@whompers. There is no negotiation. You do what they tell you or the war continues. Diplomacy? You must be kidding. More like suggestions to have marital relations with yourself.

There's always negotiation possible, but then again your inability to do anything but rant on the forums is probably why you were deposed.

So the war continues. Some of us don't take orders well.

Wait, is this about you or FAN? :rolleyes:

There's always negotiation possible, but then again your inability to do anything but rant on the forums is probably why you were deposed.

You can't seriously believe that. That's just silly and a poorly structured non-sequitur.

Wait, is this about you or FAN? :rolleyes:

Sort of a packaged deal there, we're allies after all.

:rolleyes:

Welcome to Bob, mouth breather.

Do you really thing Sponge was deposed because all he can do is rant on the forums?

Oh my Admin, that's rich.

:rolleyes:

Welcome to Bob, mouth breather.

Do you really thing Sponge was deposed because all he can do is rant on the forums?

Oh my Admin, that's rich.

No, I'm saying he could have avoided it if he had any actual ability to use diplomacy and negotiation. Everyone has a price. Some people find it and take advantage of it. ES posts on forums about how unfair the price is.

No, I'm saying he could have avoided it if he had any actual ability to use diplomacy and negotiation. Everyone has a price. Some people find it and take advantage of it. ES posts on forums about how unfair the price is.

I'm one of the few people around who actually has used negotiation to great effect, and my greatest successes currently known to the public have been of a diplomatic nature.

ooc: There's a thread for this sort of thing here. Please continue with this nonsense there and leave this thread to discussion of GATO. Not every thread is about me ffs.

Honestly, a PIAT is completely inconsequential. This no more makes GATO NPO stooges than MK.

Yes, they've signed a low-level, essentially meaningless treaty with the NPO, but it isn't a hardline indicator of anything, in either direction. All this proves is that GATO isn't above taking the high road once and a while.

If anyone should know anything about GATO is they have class. They have had, and always will have my respect.

I can assure you that there was nothing forced here and that NPO-GATO relations have been amiable. This PIAT is just the solidification of a friendship that began to grow through the occupation. You weren't there in GATO, you didn't see them importing experts to help our alliance, didn't see NPO members sacrificing their time and effort for an alliance they weren't a part of, didn't see them giving us the space we needed to be ourselves. This says that in spite of everything, we've found common ground and hope that we can build on it in the future.

[sarcasm]However, the secret one-way MDP they forced us to sign was definitely despotic.[/sarcasm]

I know this man. If he says it is, than it is so. I have no reason to take his word at anything but face value, for he is honorable and so are the people he serves with.