Dear God I hate discord!

Dajobo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Dajobo said:

Are there any alliances out there with active forums anymore?

Even somewhere semi-active but where decisions and events are discussed on the forums instead of in discord?

I know a lot find Discord easy but there are still people who log in from work who cant be on there and they really miss out when forums arent utilised

a shame really but I guess a sign of the times

34 minutes ago, Quantum Leap said:

I know a lot find Discord easy but there are still people who log in from work who cant be on there and they really miss out when forums arent utilised

If you are logging on to a forum at work, why couldn't you just sign into discord using a browser and use it?  I do it at times at work, or on my phone using the app

IMO Discord is a good tool for real time discussions, i.e. what we used to do on IRC in old times.

As a repository of documents or a reference of any kind, and to host discussions that aren't urgent and that instead would benefit from the participation of more members, Discord is simply totally inadequate, IMO.

1 hour ago, jerdge said:

IMO Discord is a good tool for real time discussions, i.e. what we used to do on IRC in old times.

As a repository of documents or a reference of any kind, and to host discussions that aren't urgent and that instead would benefit from the participation of more members, Discord is simply totally inadequate, IMO.

You could just make a specific channel for those discussions. 

6 hours ago, Rhizoctonia said:

If you are logging on to a forum at work, why couldn't you just sign into discord using a browser and use it?  I do it at times at work, or on my phone using the app

This too. I always noticed people had this quirk with both IRC and Discord. Discord less so since it's mobile friendly. A forum isn't necessarily any less bad than the discord browser version. 

7 hours ago, Quantum Leap said:

If it's because it looks unprofessional to look at discord, you can have discord embedded into your forum. https://titanembeds.com/ 

1 minute ago, Monster said:

According to my limited experience of Discord it doesn't support hierarchy much. A bunch of unordered channels with sparse new comments here and there is not my idea of a useful medium for discussions. Maybe it would have worked better when we had many active members.

Or maybe I just don't know Discord. (Now that I think of it, the learning curve for people that in general progressively reduced their CN time for years is an issue too.)

Just now, jerdge said:

According to my limited experience of Discord it doesn't support hierarchy much. A bunch of unordered channels with sparse new comments here and there is not my idea of a useful medium for discussions. Maybe it would have worked better when we had many active members.

Or maybe I just don't know Discord. (Now that I think of it, the learning curve for people that in general progressively reduced their CN time for years is an issue too.)

There were categories introduced so you could make hierarchy in those and there are/roles masks.

I mean if people don't want to be active in CN, then they're not really going to use forums much either. That's more the issue. I see discord as way more beneficial for user retention than a forum they can easily neglect. Discord also has various RL interest related uses so there's much more keeping people using it then a singular forum. The reason people are putting their eggs in the discord basket is because it is accessible and it's easier to get a hold of people. They just have to enable push notifications and then discord comes to them when they're needed rather than them they needing to read it on their own.  So let's say there was an important discussion, you would ping everyone.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:21 AM, Dajobo said:

Are there any alliances out there with active forums anymore?

Even somewhere semi-active but where decisions and events are discussed on the forums instead of in discord?

Discord has not served our needs. The Knights of the Round Table continue to meet in our forum at cn-knights.net.

Discord is really convenient because of the phone app. Aside from emoji uploads I'm able to 100% administrate my discord server from my phone. Very easy to grow a server userbase as well.

CN may be dead, but because of the ease of mobile admin my server is now more active than any other CN-originated server. 10/10.

You can see what the platform is capable of at my server here: https://discord.gg/cz2Ny7h

Edited by The Zigur

9 hours ago, Monster said:

This too. I always noticed people had this quirk with both IRC and Discord. Discord less so since it's mobile friendly. A forum isn't necessarily any less bad than the discord browser version. 

If it's because it looks unprofessional to look at discord, you can have discord embedded into your forum. https://titanembeds.com/ 

Discord is very mobile friendly and the app works nicely with it.  I agree a forum is not necessarily any worse then browser version.  My point was mainly that you didn't need to use your phone and/or actually download the PC app to use it, you could simply use a browser to sign in and access.  It seemed like he was suggesting one is unable to access or use it while on a work computer, but if you're allowed and do access a unrelated forum in terms of what you're doing for your job, you can do the same with Discord as well.

9 hours ago, Monster said:

There were categories introduced so you could make hierarchy in those and there are/roles masks.

I mean if people don't want to be active in CN, then they're not really going to use forums much either. That's more the issue. I see discord as way more beneficial for user retention than a forum they can easily neglect. Discord also has various RL interest related uses so there's much more keeping people using it then a singular forum. The reason people are putting their eggs in the discord basket is because it is accessible and it's easier to get a hold of people. They just have to enable push notifications and then discord comes to them when they're needed rather than them they needing to read it on their own.  So let's say there was an important discussion, you would ping everyone.

I agree.  If people aren't active in CN, they likely aren't going to spend the time to check or keep tabs of various CN forums.  You're able to setup and organize rooms as you see fit or need on discord.  I like it for simplicity that I have a side panel with various discords on the left that I can cycle through as I see fit.  In terms of CN, this allows me to visit and talk to several AA discords at once, switching quickly between the 2.  I no longer have to have 5 browsers open, logging into 5 different forums to actually talk or speak with someone.  It's IRC on speed.  

4 hours ago, The Zigur said:

Discord is really convenient because of the phone app. Aside from emoji uploads I'm able to 100% administrate my discord server from my phone. Very easy to grow a server userbase as well.

CN may be dead, but because of the ease of mobile admin my server is now more active than any other CN-originated server. 10/10.

You can see what the platform is capable of at my server here: https://discord.gg/cz2Ny7h

Only Junka can turn a thread into somehow about himself or as a self advertisement.  

2 hours ago, Rhizoctonia said:

Only Junka can turn a thread into somehow about himself or as a self advertisement.  

Discord has helped advance my career as a gaming celebrity, despite the backwards and repressive thinking of CN hegemons who permawar my nation while killing the game. My thoughts and advice are freely available to those who are looking towards the future.

There's interesting points here that are quite relevent to different people but Jerdge seemed to get my issue.

I cant access the game, discord or forums at work. I work at work.

I live in Aus and when I try discord in the evenings there's no one on. With the migration to discord that means whilst having an alliance I love, I really have no alliance at all!

Dead forum and dead discord room leaves little to no motivation to do more and as we all know CN is only part of the picture, it's the alliances etc that make it fun.

Now I have to decide do I move, start my own forum based alliance (work 😒) or just continue to exist in solitude...

8 hours ago, Dajobo said:

There's interesting points here that are quite relevent to different people but Jerdge seemed to get my issue.

I cant access the game, discord or forums at work. I work at work.

I live in Aus and when I try discord in the evenings there's no one on. With the migration to discord that means whilst having an alliance I love, I really have no alliance at all!

Dead forum and dead discord room leaves little to no motivation to do more and as we all know CN is only part of the picture, it's the alliances etc that make it fun.

Now I have to decide do I move, start my own forum based alliance (work 😒) or just continue to exist in solitude...

Im on Hawaii time, and Im already a few hours behind mainland US time, so I know how it's like to be on while people are asleep. 

I found this listing of Australian discords that have people in your timezone: https://disboard.org/servers/tag/australia

I used to use history and politics which is usually active 24/7 until I got banned for memeing too hard: https://discord.me/page/history-politics

Always welcome to visit my personal server as well, though its not always active this late. None of these are CN alliance discords ofc, but being that CN is dead you're probably out of luck in that regard.

Good luck finding a good discord!

Edited by The Zigur

You don't get it Tywin.

I have plenty of RL people to talk to, I don't need an Aus discord channel.

I need a way to participate in my alliance. With most alliances migrating everything to discord the forums have become a fairly empty shell and document repository. The great joy in CN used to be that people from anywhere could participate regardless of time zone and location. Now if you cant get on during USA time it's a ghost town.

2 hours ago, Dajobo said:

You don't get it Tywin.

I need a way to participate in my alliance. With most alliances migrating everything to discord the forums have become a fairly empty shell and document repository. The great joy in CN used to be that people from anywhere could participate regardless of time zone and location. Now if you cant get on during USA time it's a ghost town.

We have a strong forum and steady activity so come hang with us at Pacifica...😎

On 11/9/2018 at 12:58 PM, Rhizoctonia said:

Discord is very mobile friendly and the app works nicely with it.  I agree a forum is not necessarily any worse then browser version.  My point was mainly that you didn't need to use your phone and/or actually download the PC app to use it, you could simply use a browser to sign in and access.  It seemed like he was suggesting one is unable to access or use it while on a work computer, but if you're allowed and do access a unrelated forum in terms of what you're doing for your job, you can do the same with Discord as well.

Sorry think we're crossing wires here while agreeing. I was replying to his point it looked worse to use discord vs a forum at his job or that it wasn't possible to use it. I think discord in the browser version would be more useful than a forum in fact due to it being real time. I was agreeing with what you're saying on the work point. If they're letting him do it at his job with a forum, then it's only worse with discord if it's more of laying low thing as discord is flashier than a forum, but there are go arounds.

15 hours ago, Dajobo said:

You don't get it Tywin.

People can still participate regardless of time zone and location. A forum was more useful when there were a lot more people in the game.  A forum when there's a limited quantity of active membership is harder to sustain than a discord.  If you were still at 300+ members your forums would likely still be alive.   The issue for you is you seem to expect the same level of activity in a community where people are mainly holding onto their nations for old times sake. Obviously the alliances have thinned out and if yours has a dearth of Aussie players, there are other places that have more people from Australia/Asia that are time zone compatible. However, the majority of players in these games are from NA/Europe so most alliances will not suit your needs forum or not. No one's forum is active because they don't have the number of talkative players to sustain a forum. A forum requires far more people to sustain its activity.  The top  2 alliances  have people on who either stay up late or are from Australia/Asia, so it's your best bet imo.

If you don't care about it needing a lot of people, then ODN is your best bet as they have to do all their voting and stuff on the forum. Maybe GATO as a second choice. 

Edited by Monster

16 hours ago, Monster said:

The issue for you is you seem to expect the same level of activity in a community where people are mainly holding onto their nations for old times sake. 

Bingo. The real solution is to find a more active game where absolute power isn't held by a handful of toxic people. I moved on to a very active game clan-wise and I'm much happier now than when CN was my primary game of social interaction.

Edited by The Zigur

I like it because it lets me shoot the !@#$ with people while I'm at work, and unlike IRC, it continues logging even if you aren't on so you can go back and see what you missed.  If stuff is segmented correctly, it acts like a faster forum.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:10 AM, The Zigur said:

Bingo. The real solution is to find a more active game where absolute power isn't held by a handful of toxic people. I moved on to a very active game clan-wise and I'm much happier now than when CN was my primary game of social interaction.

Obviously haven't moved on if you are still posting....

Discord is far better than forums/IRC.