An obvious question on reps (imo) but hey I'm bored

magicninja

To tax or not to tax  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course, this question can't be answered in absence of the power dynamic.

I guess there's a lot to be said for might makes right but this seems too small of a situation for such methodology.

What's worked for us is common sense. It generally involves chit chating with the govt.

Well of course that is the first thing you do but eventually you have to make a choice of whether to drop it or seek some kind of punishment. I'm guessing you take it case by case depending on the demeanor of the other alliance?

Edit>> Even more interesting are the poll responses. There was a time, albeit a long time ago, when damages done were the going rate even if the damages were less than $3mil.

A long time ago, sourcing $3M was less trivial than sourcing a slot to send calculated reps. Once the average nation became large enough that $3M became nothing more than a day's profits then the trend shifted more toward rounding damages up to the nearest $3M, and discussion centered more around slots than dollars.

The amount of damage done never matters. 

If the alliance who did it to you is wanted by your or your allies, you push it and DoW them. If they are a friend, you let it go, if they are neutral you take the 3 mill (or have it sent to a smaller guy in your alliance most likely). 

If someone is going to ask for reps, I imagine usually its going to be at least what can fit in trade in slot. Unless its an attack by a really tiny nation against another really tiny nation, where $1m might be a lot of money to them both of them and the guy's alliance is making him pay the reps himself. If the attacked nation wants to take the million instead of beating up on the guy, I imagine their alliance would go along with it if the aggressor will pay it.

Although if they only pay the exact amount it costs the attacked nation to rebuild what was destroyed, then the nation who was attacked still loses from the incident due to tax collections being messed up, shifting their nation to a militarized state rather than a productive state, etc. So if the attacker really wants to make amends they should offer to pay more than the damage done if it can still all fit in one aid slot.

Edited by Methrage

In a situation like this, political context looms large.

For example, if this is a close ally or a friendly AA you may just give an FYI and have them handle things while you aid up your guy. If the AA in question is antagonistic to you or a repeat offender then you might fill the offending's slots before you even speak to them and work from there, likely with a full slot of reps in mind. This would rarely lead to war unless there is some offending pattern or unless you were going to war anyway and just wanted an excuse

Seems like a solid answer.

Ally or friends: I won't mind, just ask their government to remind their members not to do that kind of idiocy.

Neutral or hostile: I'll likely ask for reparations on principle, maybe have a bit of fun threatening them.

Neutral/hostile 2.0: If my friends and I are looking for a war to start against the offending alliance or their friends, we might use the opportunity.

Given the case, I found Magic to be a headache for making this question over a minor incident that does not even show on my radar.

Two tiny nations that are noobs, requires a conversation but not really worth more than a paragraph.

The poll didn't take noobs into account but really that is the fine line for me.

But in the end Magic is definitely a headache. 

I almost forgot, the price the noob paid for the CM's is negated by the bills they're saving after the lost of CM's so in reality there is no loss at all.

Edited by Commander shepard

3mil/50 techs so as not to waste an aid slot on something less. Nations on your AA require protecting from any and all assualts damaging or not and minor reps like this would merely be a slap on the wrist to an established alliance, make the noob supply who ever covers the cost of the reps with 50 tech as an internal punishment and they will soon learn to pay attention to silly things like AA before they go performing acts of war.

But I have the solution.GATO has hereby permission to destroy all cm's of R&R nations not at war. Hell if you succeed we'll even throw in 3M as a thank you for cleaning our stats.

Can I get in on this? Because I found three guys in range with CMs and my spies could use the practice.

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=168460 http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=159369 and http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=92027 )

Given the case, I found Magic to be a headache for making this question over a minor incident that does not even show on my radar.
Two tiny nations that are noobs, requires a conversation but not really worth more than a paragraph.
The poll didn't take noobs into account but really that is the fine line for me.

But in the end Magic is definitely a headache. 
I almost forgot, the price the noob paid for the CM's is negated by the bills they're saving after the lost of CM's so in reality there is no loss at all.

Well minor incidents are far more common than major incidents. I figured I'd see how alliances handled it. I'm not in on the RnR thing nor do I care to be. We have people for that and I'm sure they did their job and RnR was cool about it all. I just thought this probably happens a lot and though we never hear about it, because it is a minor issue, I thought I'd see how people dealt with it to see how close everyone was.

• 2 weeks later...

So say you get a rogue that IS a member of a well known alliance. Perhaps they do a spy op that does very little damage...maybe destroy cms and they kill a CM or two...perhaps they do an op that does no damage at all.... Whatever... the actual damage done is only in the few thousand tops. Do you accept the cost of damage or do you shine on that and say its a waste of a slot and only take $3mil minimum? Say your on the other side do you only offer to pay damages or do you pay the $3mil so its not a waste of a slot? Are you ruthles and demand the attacker's head? Do you just chalk it up as no harm really done and move on?

What if the spy op(s) have done a lot of damage?

There is no absolute answer.  A lot depends on the size of the target nation (smaller nations benefit more from $3 mill reps), the reputation of the alliance of the attacker as well as the attacker him/herself, whether or not the alliance of the attacker is an ally or a potential foe, aid slot utilization (some people run tech deals constantly and freeing up a slot for reps would delay shipments/payments), and so forth.

So say you get a rogue that IS a member of a well known alliance. Perhaps they do a spy op that does very little damage...maybe destroy cms and they kill a CM or two...perhaps they do an op that does no damage at all.... Whatever... the actual damage done is only in the few thousand tops. Do you accept the cost of damage or do you shine on that and say its a waste of a slot and only take $3mil minimum? Say your on the other side do you only offer to pay damages or do you pay the $3mil so its not a waste of a slot? Are you ruthles and demand the attacker's head? Do you just chalk it up as no harm really done and move on?

It depends on the context and the alliance, realistically.

What if the spy op(s) have done a lot of damage?

I suppose you treat them like just one of the many hundreds of rogues that came before him...as target practice. Also I don't think there is a spy op that does a lot of damage.

Also Xiph and Hal and others who said it depends on those things...I think its pretty petty to use it as any sort of political leverage...seems like such a small thing too demand too much of or refuse to pay the paltry amount...but I guess there are those who are not above it. Edited by magicninja