So I have this idea

Ivan Moldavi

[quote name='Ivan Moldavi' timestamp='1322724268' post='2857983']
Tomorrow night (later today really) or Friday morning I will add a link to the OP for applications once I figure out how I want to select students.

I will state that since I am hoping this will catch on and I will be able to recruit a few of the better students to help me in the future rounds that the initial class will lean towards more established players. But, I believe I will have applicants provide links to IC posts that highlight their unique rhetorical skills and if I am impressed with a newer player then I may select them as well.
[/quote]

Coolio. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gibsonator21' timestamp='1322725987' post='2858010']
Mmmk, nice deflection.
[/quote]

For a second I thought that you were actually going to rise above it and not respond, I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.

There's no need to point out a deflection/ignored point/obvious insult, anyone that matters has noticed it.

Where is : Narcissism: When is too much, too much?

Or,

Blending the OOC/IC Line: How to win IC friends by spending all of your OOC time playing grab-ass and keeping up with their mundane and boring lives. Students will learn to completely isolate themselves in their so-called "real lives," and train themselves to be virulently offended at any IC insult. This is a 168 hour course, because you will contact these people whenever you are doing OOC things like work or play. Usually, it will also require that you genuinely are interested in random strangers' psychological issues and their lack of mate-finding ability.Warning: This class also comes with a subset of Psychology because most of the people you will meet in the game are socially awkward OOC, and due to this fact the entire norms of interaction are fundamentally distorted and even RL psychologists have yet to understand it.

Edited by IYIyTh

[quote name='IYIyTh' timestamp='1322732918' post='2858069']
Where is : Narcissism: When is too much, too much?

Or,

Blending the OOC/IC Line: How to win IC friends by spending all of your OOC time playing grab-ass and keeping up with their mundane and boring lives. Students will learn to completely isolate themselves in their so-called "real lives," and train themselves to be virulently offended at any IC insult. This is a 168 hour course, because you will contact these people whenever you are doing OOC things like work or play. Usually, it will also require that you genuinely are interested in random strangers' psychological issues and their lack of mate-finding ability.Warning: This class also comes with a subset of Psychology because most of the people you will meet in the game are socially awkward OOC, and due to this fact the entire norms of interaction are fundamentally distorted and even RL psychologists have yet to understand it.
[/quote]
For the first, I believe it obvious that I would never consider there to be too much. Nor would I consider it narcissism to state I am genuinely at least decent at the modes of play I purport to teach.

For the second, I have never cared for making friends so would never contemplate such an idea. Too many friends or worrying about hurting friends of friends feelings in the Cyberverse as it is already. As for the OOC aspect, obviously I do gain some level of practice out of it considering my educational goals. But, that is no different than any other aspect of the game as I see it. The Cyberverse has always been my personal plaything so far as I am concerned and I play it with one end result - to have fun - even if that means doing so at another's IC expense. (Note: I know you intended your copy and paste comment as a swipe, I just don't care.)

If I had more time I'd definitely apply. I guess that when/if I'll want to play the villain I'll have to make do as an amateur.

(On the other hand, while I like this idea, people which can graduate successfully probably already have the qualities to work it out on their own.)

Edited by jerdge

[quote name='jerdge' timestamp='1322743355' post='2858128']
If I had more time I'd definitely apply, anyway. I guess that when/if I'll want to play the villain I'll have to make do as an amateur.

(On the other hand, while I like this idea, people which can graduate successfully probably already have the qualities to work it out on their own.)
[/quote]
Well, to be honest, villain insofar as this is concerned, is a matter of perspective.

I have always considered myself to be the villain, even when pontificating and demonizing my opponents. It is my opinion that this coursework will allow players to take the viewpoint from either side and utilize it with equal success. While I prefer the more negative connotation the inverse of each class is implicit and understanding of it (and thus possible utilization) is required.

Primarily, the goal would be to have people think in a way that they are not accustomed to and see points of view that they may not have noticed before. I do not claim to be a magician, some will be able to do it and some will not. Success is not guaranteed.

[quote name='Ivan Moldavi' timestamp='1322724268' post='2857983']
But, I believe I will have applicants provide links to IC posts that highlight their unique rhetorical skills
[/quote]
This is a good idea.

I'm certainly not at the levels of activity or notoriety that I used to be, but I'm interested.

[quote name='Unknown Smurf' timestamp='1322720731' post='2857905']
Huge problem. Too much emphasis given to seniority than skill.
[/quote]

We've both been amateur antagonists within Legion and although we didn't "pierce the hierarchy" we ruffled feathers and you at least obtained spectacular results that spilled out onto the OWF.

My problem is I'm far too arrogant to accept I need guidance from a yesterdays man.