So I have this idea

Ivan Moldavi

[b]UPDATE: Added application information to the bottom of the OP[/b]

I was asked to develop a course for another realm back in 2004 because I have a peculiar method of interacting and playing these games and I was wondering, since my semester is winding down and I have a nation but no actual agenda, if anyone would be interested in taking it. It is still a work in progress at present because the transition from that realm to this one is somewhat murky in some respects but I am trying to gauge interest before I convert it fully into an IC construct.

The general idea at the time was a university curriculum associated around teaching players to act the way I do, within reason. Obviously this takes someone like myself, with an ego the size of a planet, for there to even be a consideration of its feasibility.

But, in general, it is my opinion that the Cyberverse is lacking a few fundamental elements that perpetuate the IC dynamic overall. There just aren't enough villains, or the inverse willing to make villains out of others. At least that is my opinion. If it is incorrect then I will drop the idea and go about my merry way with random and most likely off-topic commentary.

Ideally I would take 10-15 candidates for the initial class in hopes of getting at least 3-4 to assist with the next round thereafter. I would make the ultimate choice of who gets to enroll if more than that apply. If general interest exists then I will provide an application process. Here is the idea as it currently exists:

[b]Doctoral Program in Sociopathology and Advanced Antagonism[/b]

These courses are designed to share a unique aspect of gameplay that is often poorly utilized in the Cyberverse. The careful planning and manipulation of the circumstances surrounding a nation and the utilization of same for the advancement of said nation in relative power and prestige. This curriculum is designed to test the reasoning abilities of interested players in diverse settings and to develop skills within the player to round out their gaming experience. These courses will be taught by a nation experienced in most aspects of online antagonism and internet community sociopathology. Future seminars may be taught by nations that have successfully completed the entire curriculum with either honors or highest honors. The professor will have the final say on grading and coursework quality. While the professor does not claim absolute knowledge of all aspects of the course he does claim the right to evaluate students based solely on his standards of performance. Coursework will be difficult and exhaustive. Only nations serious about their commitment to the curriculum need apply. The professor reserves the right to remove any student from the curriculum at any time.

[b]SAA101 – Fundamentals of Gameplay Antagonism [/b]- This course will outline the basic concepts of proper confrontation in the Cyberverse. Historical references and contemporary situations will be used to model the appropriate responses to provided scenarios. Completion of the course will follow successful thought analysis and resolution of a minimum of two scenarios.

[b]SAA102 – Advanced Gameplay Antagonism[/b] – This course will concentrate on the reasoning behind confrontation in the Cyberverse and will analyze the motivations that lead to such actions. Prerequisite: SAA101. Completion of the course will be determined by the instructor after his review of each students participation in the debate(s).

[b]SAA201 – Antagonism and the Alliance [/b]– This course will concentrate on the effects of continued antagonism in the Cyberverse on the antagonists home alliance. Prerequisites: SAA101, SAA102. Completion of the course will be determined by the instructor after his review of each students participation in the debate(s). Students are required to sign up for SAA201a.

[b]SAA201a – Sociopathology and the Alliance [/b]– This course will concentrate on the effects of continued antagonism in the Cyberverse on the community and the social structures of the nations within the home alliance. This course is meant to complement SAA201 in that it will discuss the underlying effects of the antagonism moreso than the general cosmetic effects discussed in the aforementioned course. Prerequisites: SAA101, SAA102 and enrollment in SAA201. Completion of this course will coincide with completion of SAA201

[b]SAA301 – Antagonism as a Weapon [/b]– This course will outline the basic methodology and strategy of using systematic and continuous antagonism as a means of manipulating a given situation for a nations own ends in the Cyberverse. Prerequisites: SAA101, SAA102, SAA201-201a. Completion of the course will be determined by the instructor after his review of each students participation in the debate(s).

[b]SAA302 – Sociopathology in Gameplay [/b]– This course will concentrate on the methodology and strategy of using “in-character” manipulation and subversion as a means of controlling players in the Cyberverse and having them perform actions, knowingly or unknowingly, that will further a nation's own ends. Prerequisites: SAA101, SAA102, SAA201-201a, SAA301. Completion of this course will be determined by the instructor after his review of a coordinated stratagem, developed by the student for use in an hypothetical gaming situation using the methods described throughout the course.

[b]SAA401 – Doctoral Thesis [/b]– Students that have completed all courses in the curriculum will then be eligible for enrollment in this course, which will be independent study, that will culminate in the formation of a persona that incorporates all tools and methods described in previous coursework and can demonstrate said incorporation in a one on one interaction with the instructor. Each student will be given three opportunities to successfully manipulate this interaction with advice and suggestion coming from the instructor after each attempt. If the instructor deems the student competent in his or her interaction the instructor will then perform a systematic review of all coursework to date and determine the Doctoral standing of the student. The degree bestowed upon successful students from Stromholde Kalinski University will be Doctorate of Sociopathology and Advanced Antagonism. Students that receive Honors or Highest Honors status will be invited to become Associate Professors of Sociopathology and Advanced Antagonism.

NOTE: This is not an alliance. This is independent of all alliance affiliations.

UPDATE:
Forgive the skin, it is a work in progress and I am busy today:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/SKU/index.php?showtopic=2

This is a link to the application process.

Edited by Ivan Moldavi

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cookavich' timestamp='1322717669' post='2857693']
I wasn't aware that the car lot had semesters.
[/quote]
True.

Of course, it wasn't funny in 2007 and it isn't funny now but who's keeping score, right?

Considering that I retired two years ago in order to return to school to get my doctorate in history I guess I will let it pass. But you could try harder. This sort of outdated lame attempt at antagonism is more or less what I am getting at as lacking in the Cyberverse. You guys just fail at it.

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1322717816' post='2857699']
This has potential.

But why use fancy words like antagonizing, why not just have Being a Dick 101.
[/quote]
Being an !@#$%^& is the natural state of mind. Being an antagonist is knowing how to utilize that assholishness to its full potential.

[quote name='Ivan Moldavi' timestamp='1322717209' post='2857679']
Obviously this takes someone like myself, with an ego the size of a planet, for there to even be a consideration of its feasibility.
[/quote]

This made me laugh.

I would not disagree with you when you say that we need more antagonists around these parts, but this just seems so... ambitious. Do you think that you'll be able to keep student's attention long enough for them to complete their goals and assignments? What kind of students are you looking for, ideally? I presume not old folks, but who does that leave? Youngins? Mid-level guys? Older guys just now getting into politics?

[quote name='Bones Malone' timestamp='1322719270' post='2857852']
This made me laugh.

I would not disagree with you when you say that we need more antagonists around these parts, but this just seems so... ambitious. Do you think that you'll be able to keep student's attention long enough for them to complete their goals and assignments? What kind of students are you looking for, ideally? I presume not old folks, but who does that leave? Youngins? Mid-level guys? Older guys just now getting into politics?
[/quote]
25 year olds who recently quit their job because the boss was a dick and the pay wasn't worth it?

I don't know how many students you planned on taking here, but I'm in.

I'm interested but it might be not feasible anymore.

It seems that most new alliances never get off the ground fully or if you join an established alliance, it's harder to pierce the hierarchy some alliance have had in place for years.

But still, such classes could be of use. Do you have any grand visions for this program and the type of people it will produce?