So I have this idea

Ivan Moldavi

[quote name='Stonewall Jaxon' timestamp='1322802629' post='2859000']
I'm curious about your unique rhetorical perspective, which is almost entirely why I joined your alliance for a significant period of time, and will be applying as soon as an application becomes available. As a recent college student, I sincerely hope you strategically begin courses after "finals season."

If I recall correctly, the forum only allows one to view his or her posts from the past year. As such, my better posts would be practically impossible to find. Perhaps an interview process is in order?
[/quote]
I second that an interview process would be a better idea.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Stonewall Jaxon' timestamp='1322802629' post='2859000']
I'm curious about your unique rhetorical perspective, which is almost entirely why I joined your alliance for a significant period of time, and will be applying as soon as an application becomes available. As a recent college student, I sincerely hope you strategically begin courses after "finals season."

If I recall correctly, the forum only allows one to view his or her posts from the past year. As such, my better posts would be practically impossible to find. Perhaps an interview process is in order?
[/quote]
You could just do the legwork and dig up the threads yourself. I did (with a big assist from rsoxbronco, good man).

Although I think that an interview would likely be disadvantageous to a lot of potential applicants, too.

[quote name='Mr Damsky' timestamp='1322802580' post='2858998']
An internet charisma course isn't going to solve such a massive, systemic problem. The cowardice and lack of initiative-taking in this game has permeated every crevice of every alliance in existence. No one wants to take any risks. No one wants to try to build any big aggressive blocs. No one wants to do anything "evil". We've entered such a stage of being massive !@#$%*^ that the sheer thought of offering an alliance something like a viceroy becomes vomit inducing. Our wars have becoming little more than pissing matches. Our current war has completely signaled the annihilation of any interesting political scheming and our last one was to prevent the game from becoming interesting.

Let it stagnate. Let it die. Only when they reach the cusp of absolute destruction will they realize the error of their ways.

$%&@ it all!

But congrats, seems as if you're still famous enough for people to completely brown nose you.
[/quote]

Excellent post. The funny thing here is that so many people are buying into this. You can't teach personality, and you can't teach ego. People latching on to Ivan's underbelly like a remora is only feeding his already monsterous ego (I always picture Tygaland's avatar as a perfect representation of it). Noone seems to care that his desire to maintain his public image has long-since departed. The fame remains, the legend remains, and once in a while his ego swoops down on the masses for feeding time. Next he'll be having you all sacrifice virgins to appease him. I'm safe, but whoa, nelly. Look out, guys.

[quote name='nippy' timestamp='1322809265' post='2859153']
Excellent post. The funny thing here is that so many people are buying into this. You can't teach personality, and you can't teach ego. People latching on to Ivan's underbelly like a remora is only feeding his already monsterous ego (I always picture Tygaland's avatar as a perfect representation of it). Noone seems to care that his desire to maintain his public image has long-since departed. The fame remains, the legend remains, and once in a while his ego swoops down on the masses for feeding time. Next he'll be having you all sacrifice virgins to appease him. I'm safe, but whoa, nelly. Look out, guys.
[/quote]
Actually, I have entirely different reasons for wanting to partake in it. And he's offering lessons on how to apply those traits moreso than actually advertising being able to teach them to potential students.

That being said, nippy, it's really fun going back through my old classics, if only for the groan inducing chuckles. You should try it.

There are people making fools of themselves on both sides of the argument on whether this course is going to be any use to individuals or not.

Personally I think some of you think you can become something relevant, when there is in fact little to no chance of that happening. If you don't already have the trappings of a great poster and have sufficient charisma or literary genius this will not help you in the slightest. On the other hand I don't think the course will be able to help anyone to such a degree that we see change in how the cyberverse handles itself, but good luck.

[quote name='Jens of the desert' timestamp='1322824681' post='2859302']
There are people making fools of themselves on both sides of the argument on whether this course is going to be any use to individuals or not.

Personally I think some of you think you can become something relevant, when there is in fact little to no chance of that happening. If you don't already have the trappings of a great poster and have sufficient charisma or literary genius this will not help you in the slightest. On the other hand I don't think the course will be able to help anyone to such a degree that we see change in how the cyberverse handles itself, but good luck.
[/quote]

I personally view it as a way to entertain myself in this game, which is ultimately what I play for. It might not change my IC persona, but it's something to do.

[quote name='WarriorConcept' timestamp='1322836412' post='2859362']
I personally view it as a way to entertain myself in this game, which is ultimately what I play for. It might not change my IC persona, but it's something to do.
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

I've been on break for like a week and a half, and I'm bored. I hereby sign my name on the sheet in size really friggin huge and diagonal, so that it takes up as much space as possible. And pisses my roommate off (he sat next to me in one of my classes. He disliked it. So did Anthony).

[quote name='WarriorConcept' timestamp='1322836412' post='2859362']
[/quote]
Indeed.

I make no guarantees of success and I make no claims of this changing the Cyberverse as some have extrapolated.

This is entertainment. I am training to teach, and actually do teach an online course currently, so there are some material RL benefits to me in getting some experience with objective assessment, even if the topic is honestly (OOC-wise) ridiculous.

I do not believe this will cause systemic change in the Cyberverse and I can not even tell at this point if it will be successful on a small scale. I am just trying something different since, as Londo and others have aptly pointed out, this place is a lot of the same these days.

If you are not interested, or if you think this is purely for my ego, or if you just don't like me (which I do not believe is necessary to be involved in the course at all) then don't apply. I will not be offended. I honestly won't care.

To another point, I mentioned this somewhere in the thread but it may have been missed. I personally concentrate on the negative connotations of villainy and consider myself to IC one most of the time, even when I am playing "hero" to others. That does not mean this course is designed specifically to make anyone out to be the bad guy. It is my personal opinion that the best way to defeat or counter any opponent is to study and learn as much about them as possible. Sun Tzu believed the same. I do not necessarily believe my rhetorical skills are presently that valuable to the overall political landscape of the Cyberverse (but I do not concur with the idea that I can not be influential without forces to back up that rhetoric - that has been disproved by many many more personae than my own here over the years) but I do believe that understanding how someone like myself thinks, since I do believe I play that aspect very well overall, can be incorporated into a means of progression one's own agenda and methodology.

These courses could have been named Advanced Protagonism and net the same result. The idea is to enjoy some theoretical scenarios, debate on certain issues like ingame morality, etc., and to just think. There seems to be far too little thinking these days around here.

I plan to write the application process within the hour.

[quote name='TehChron' timestamp='1322812366' post='2859211']
Actually, I have entirely different reasons for wanting to partake in it. And he's offering lessons on how to apply those traits moreso than actually advertising being able to teach them to potential students.

That being said, nippy, it's really fun going back through my old classics, if only for the groan inducing chuckles. You should try it.
[/quote]

I'm aware of how bad yours and my classics are...I certainly don't want to reflect on the amount of faux-hatred I put into my posts. I'm more of a sidelines commentary kind of guy these days. :blush: