Stuff that was usual in the past and nowadays isn't.

zoskia

What things do you remember about the old days of CN that were very usual and nowadays they have ceased to exist.

I was thinking about it and I remembered:

1) VICEROYS!!!! LOL... That was Epic.... I never been in an Alliance that had one, but I assume that it was quite crazy for both parts. The Viceroy had to lead an Alliance and probably everyone in the Alliance hated him... and also the idea that you had to have a leader that you actually hated.

2) Screenshots of which Alliance or faction shot the "first nuke" in a war... and such thing was really a big deal... !

3) Perma ZI !

4) Vox Populi! yeah, that was very Epic too... the very first Guerilla Alliance. They certainly changed the "rules" of how we play the game.

5) The idea of playing the game without even having the hope of being able to ever fire a nuke... yeah, there was a 5% that never knew that feeling... but most of us never expected to reach the famous 5%.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, another thread like this? Zoskia, I think you really should slow down a bit.

I have fever today and it's raining a lot. Doesn't such thing give me the right to create a few silly threads?  (Insert picture of a skinny puppy here).

When
alliances could reach 1000 members. I know there was only a handful
that ever did this but nowadays doing that is pretty impossible. 

Yes! I can remember the Alliances having big numbers of nations! I didn't remember Alliances having 1000 members, but I remember that having 700 was quite usual for the big ones.

(So good that someone understood what the thread is about! unlike Franz Ferdinand, Auctor and Willain "GEwilliam" Kreiger)

Good forum topics. Not cracking wise here, there used to be better topics to discuss.

Yes, I can remember that! I was just thinking about it:

-It was usual to expect that the Alliances had to write real political propaganda. The most impresive of them was the NPO and the whole theory of "Francoism"... some people loved Francoism, some others hated it (I hated it), but everyone who played CN was reading Vladimir's rants about it... and there were philosophical discussions about it.

I do remember that some players also wrote academical essays about CN in the old days.

And this whole thing of the "Francoism" made me remember the POWER that the NPO had. They really managed to "own the game" for mostly 2 years.

No other Alliance ever had the amount of power that the NPO had... and I don't think any Alliance by itself will ever have that political power in the future.

EDIT: What was the Shark Week??? I don't remember it.

Edited by zoskia

A lot of good alliances have disbanded over the years.

The average length of threads were longer too it seemed.

Another one is having an active member base. It seems most alliances only function on a handful of active gov members who do shit.

What things do you remember about the old days of CN that were very usual and nowadays they have ceased to exist.

I was thinking about it and I remembered:

1) VICEROYS!!!! LOL... That was Epic.... I never been in an Alliance that had one, but I assume that it was quite crazy for both parts. The Viceroy had to lead an Alliance and probably everyone in the Alliance hated him... and also the idea that you had to have a leader that you actually hated.

2) Screenshots of which Alliance or faction shot the "first nuke" in a war... and such thing was really a big deal... !

3) Perma ZI !

4) Vox Populi! yeah, that was very Epic too... the very first Guerilla Alliance. They certainly changed the "rules" of how we play the game.

5) The idea of playing the game without even having the hope of being able to ever fire a nuke... yeah, there was a 5% that never knew that feeling... but most of us never expected to reach the famous 5%.

Actually, back in the day it wasn't too hard to reach the top 5%. I joined September 4, 2006. By mid-November I was purchasing nukes - all that was required was activity and mild competence at nation building (you didn't have to be a freak like that fellow over at GPA who spent hours each day crunching numbers to make the optimal combination of technology and infrastructure purchases.....seriously, there were people like that back then). It didn't become difficult for me to get nukes until some point after the UJW. By then so many players had left the game, and so many people remaining had simply never fought a war (and were therefore high in the standings), that it became increasingly difficult. Forming FAIL certainly didn't help my nation's growth either. Thank Admin for the Manhattan Project.

Edited by Rebel Virginia

I have fever today and it's raining a lot. Doesn't such thing give me the right to create a few silly threads?  (Insert picture of a skinny puppy here).

This one is a bit better....I don't see an issue with it.  I still don't know how Viceroys were ever allowed.  I think it was a time when disbandment was an option, so anything less was alright.

Strange we actually have less war now with none of this stuff and no reps.  Interesting how that works.

I remember when Legion had like 1400 members and a few alliances had over 1000 members.

Yes! I can remember the Alliances having big numbers of nations! I didn't remember Alliances having 1000 members, but I remember that having 700 was quite usual for the big ones.

(So good that someone understood what the thread is about! unlike Franz Ferdinand, Auctor and Willain "GEwilliam" Kreiger)

I think only 4 alliances reached 1000: GATO, NPO, Legion and GPA (IRON too?)

Though I believe GPA was the last to accomplish this. 

But I do think someone needs to bring back Viceroys. What I don't understand is why the way viceroys are used didn't change instead of just scraping them all together. The only reason they are illegal is because you can't use force to make people give you out of game property. What should have happened is that protectorates got put under a viceroy, not for control over fallen enemies but to help guide new alliances and to grow them. Some alliances have "advisors" but I think a viceroy type government would have allowed greater control over what their protectorate does and allows  a more hands on, direct approach to building a future alliance. No force would be used, an alliance seeking a protectorate would consent to it. Edited by Masterchief777

Strange we actually have less war now with none of this stuff and no reps.  Interesting how that works.

I think that's more of a result of game mechanics and how long the game has been running.  The average nation is much larger, and therefore it takes a lot longer to build or rebuild a nation to a relevant size and warchest.

People used to have long, drawn out arguments over in-game morality and many of the people actually believed in what they were saying.  Now adays most arguments amount to small, snide comments, and references to the past actions of a poster's alliance/charges of hypocrisy.