United Purple Nations Announcement

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1286778749' post='2481337']
[color="#0000FF"]UPN had a terrible CB. They accepted nations at war with GOONS. I may disagree with them still being at war, but it does not change the fact that GOONS and most the world views them as rogues. Then there is the main CB UPN tried to use. GOONS mistakenly hit an actual UPN member, who was mistakenly put on a list of approved ghosts given to GOONS to hit. GOONS wasn't obligated to pay UPN anything for that mistake, but covered the damage inflicted and ended the war. I may hate GOONS too, but that really is a horrible reason to attack them for.[/color]
[/quote]
I think its good enough, GOONS wanted unreasonable reps for some members they accepted and then a GOONS nation raids their alliance. I don't think being a tech raiding alliance should excuse attacks on other alliances who don't even tech raid, that's a solid CB unless you're saying UPN approved this member for GOONS to hit by putting him on a ghost list they gave to GOONS open for attack. So did UPN make the mistake of telling GOONS this was a ghost they could attack, or did GOONS make the mistake of adding a nation that wasn't a ghost to a list of approved tech raid targets?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pingu' timestamp='1286778190' post='2481332']
No, no, this just won't do. Nonsensical cliches will not suffice. The truth may, indeed, sometimes hurt. Often the truth does not hurt. Many things beside truth may also hurt. Or not. So no correlation is established between the pain a statement causes and the truth it contains. Moreover, there is no evidence that your statement [i]either[/i] contained truth [i]or[/i] caused pain, so the relevance of 'truth hurts' is not apparent.

Must try harder.
[/quote]

Your "hilarious" chain of logic contains pretty rudimentary errors, Pingu. This kind of thing is only funny when it's not wrong.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1286780204' post='2481359']
That's was a much better CB than many that I had seen to be used to start global wars and I'm sure you know that, the problem with this CB was because it hadn't enough people to support it.
[/quote]
Not many people supported the CB cos it was a dumb CB. It had too many twist and turns in it with no clear picture of who was in the right / wrong....rather who would would be the aggressor / defender...

I presume the other reason it never gained popularity, is the fact that any alliance in the coalition would indirectly be fighting for UPN.

Frankly, i am glad that ODN stepped in and sorted the issue out, thus saving UPN and a lot of other alliances from getting pounded into the dirt. This cancellation is weird....stinks....

[quote name='Seipher Caim' timestamp='1286786213' post='2481397']
So UPN, here is what happened to the one treaty that prevented you from entering the great purple curbstomp to help your then friends... Guess it was worth the paper to avoid that infra destruction...
[/quote]

The humility that came from that event was worth the stern lesson it taught.

Please guys stop hating on ODN for over stepping it a little with us... they were a great ally to us and if they wanted to avert the developing situation that badly we should honor there intentions. This whole situation is blown way out of proportion, but it did show us that this treaty is in conflict with our FA direction. I talked with some ODN about how they feel, and offered to answer questions on how the UPN was handling things... and in the end the fact that we were both heading in different directions was apparent.

I wont be a stranger on your guy's IRC or forums ;)

Hmm, what to say, what to say...

Well, first off, I am pretty sure if you had "discussed" with ODN membership about the FA path, you probably would have been in much more agreement than you realize. Too bad you spoke to OsRavan and his gang.

Secondly, I think I have to congratulate both parties for the cancellation of this treaty, both times for different reasons. There are reasons for both of you to celebrate.

Finally, the obligatory "it's never good to see friends split up." I do mean it, even if I just congratulated you both on this occasion. :ph34r:

[quote name='GearHead' timestamp='1286790639' post='2481413']
Well, first off, I am pretty sure if you had "discussed" with ODN membership about the FA path, you probably would have been in much more agreement than you realize. Too bad you spoke to [b]OsRavan and his gang[/b].[/quote]
xfd. I have [i]no[/i] idea who you've been talking to.

[quote name='Locke' timestamp='1286773377' post='2481256']
Heh, I'm reminded of Kronos having TOP make deals with STA without their consent.
[/quote]

My memory may be getting worse with age but I remember vaguely a few people who are singing ODN's praises here were not happy with TOP making a deal behind Krono's back.

In regards to this discussion, if neither UPN or ODN want the treaty anymore then who the hell cares if they cancel it.

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1286770148' post='2481164']
The unfortunate thing is that everyone loves to get their rocks off with heir "X alliance totally sucks lol" groupthink. If you had gone to NPO and paid them X-dollars on behalf of Ordo Verde to stop them from getting attacked, yes, you would have stopped war, but you would also have made them look like fools, undermined them, and sidestepped your entire relationship in doing so. Neither situation is ideal--war or undermining--but one took a big step on OsRavan's part to go behind Peggy's back and make deals for her. If OsRavan didn't think that UPN was in a defensive position, he didn't have to opt in to their treaty, anyway.
[/quote]
Actually, VE did that in reverse Schatt. OV was willing to cut a deal with NPO, until they talked to GOD and VE, and told to refuse it.

Now OV is gone, suffering the usual fate of puppet alliances once their strategic value is used up.

On to the actual topic at hand; when faced with an obvious conflict of interests between what were their two closest allies after Bipolar, only an idiot wouldn't know which one UPN would pick.

[quote name='Vespassianus' timestamp='1286792503' post='2481420']
ODN saved your ass from a loosing war and you cancel on them... Bah. ODN maybe/possibly changed from optional defense network, but UPN remains still dumb. I just can't see the logic behind your decisions.
[/quote]

Yeah, you guys really appreciated an ally making deals without your knowledge, right?

[quote name='Schattenmann' timestamp='1286767223' post='2481039']
Oh, I wasn't aware that sneaking around behind your ally's back was an accomplishment.
[/quote]

Oh I wasn't aware saving someone from being rolled was sneaking behind their back.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1286777270' post='2481315']
Congratulations UPN, ODN just showed one more time how afraid of lose their precious pixels they are, the only reason that are alliances who still have a treaty with them is because meatshields are appreciated. I look forward to see ODN abandon some of those alliances when they find themselves in the losing or small side of the treaty web , principles worth much more than money or be in the biggest side unfortunately ODN will never learn this.

UPN o/
[/quote]

Oh I get it. It's funny because you're so ridiculously biased, right?

Don't be hatin' because we put the brakes on your little pet war. If you really want to attack GOONS, just do it. The WCE logs show that you really couldn't care less about CB.

Edited by Yankees Empire

So this is how UPN thanks its friend for not getting rolled.

Way to go, I'd think twice about helping you if I was one of your allies.
This is/was a worthless move, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Edited by erikz

[quote name='Tautology' timestamp='1286793593' post='2481426']
I wonder if any of the remaining alliances that have treaties with UPN are "assessing" those treaties right now.
[/quote]

Judging from the posts in this thread, they probably are not. Though you'd know more than I do.

Edited by Antoine Roquentin