WE GOT A rather unfortunate SITUATION.

d3filed

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Rebel Virginia' timestamp='1282098273' post='2420927']
[color="#0000FF"]Great showing of spine there \m/. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks for letting us all know what you're made of. You know, I had always thought that alliances defended their members from attacks, yet here we are seeing \m/ cut the member loose to avoid war. Really, this is just fantastic. Thank you once again for showing us all the way.[/color]
[/quote]
I dont believe I'm saying this but I agree with RV. This is pathetic \m/.

[quote name='Lord Boris' timestamp='1282104059' post='2421114']
While in this case, he did get a bit... inflammatory, he was put in a bit of an odd spot due to misinformation coming from an \m/ government member, and STA saw the chance to lash out and vent their frustrations on him. Ordinarily, MM is no more a powder keg than a great many others in the normal OWF peanut gallery. I'm personally of the opinion that once STA ZI's him or decides going after him is requiring more resources than he's worth, he should absolutely be given a second chance. I think those who would try to deny him such a chance simply based on this event would be incredibly short-sighted.
[/quote]

We're not ZIing him. We're going to war him for a round, and that's going to be the end of it. He came to us just a bit ago and asked us for peace. There had been peace offers on the table for him all day, and we had just finished a rather heated discussion with \m/ government about him, which culminated in him electing to stay at war with us over peacing out, so we were a bit surprised. We considered just letting him go, but we decided that we would war him for one round for a few reasons.

-He flat out told us that his plan was to start a war between STA and \m/.
-He's had a chance for a completely terms-less peace all day. Peace offers had been sent. Rather than accepting them and ending it, he chose to spend the day threatening us and spying on us.
-We ended up having to have another tense conversation with \m/, and it's just not something that should have had to happen.

So, because of these things, and especially the attempt to ignite a war involving us directly, we're going to war him for one round and be done with it. We've agreed to keep it non-nuclear, provided he destroys his nuclear weapons. He has done so. Once it's over, he's free to go wherever he'd like.

[quote name='Lord Boris' timestamp='1282104059' post='2421114']
While in this case, he did get a bit... inflammatory, he was put in a bit of an odd spot due to misinformation coming from an \m/ government member, and STA saw the chance to lash out and vent their frustrations on him. Ordinarily, MM is no more a powder keg than a great many others in the normal OWF peanut gallery. I'm personally of the opinion that once STA ZI's him or decides going after him is requiring more resources than he's worth, he should absolutely be given a second chance. I think those who would try to deny him such a chance simply based on this event would be incredibly short-sighted.
[/quote]

Agreed. No one deserves to be blacklisted form all participation.

[quote name='pezstar' timestamp='1282106416' post='2421170']
We're not ZIing him. We're going to war him for a round, and that's going to be the end of it. He came to us just a bit ago and asked us for peace. There had been peace offers on the table for him all day, and we had just finished a rather heated discussion with \m/ government about him, which culminated in him electing to stay at war with us over peacing out, so we were a bit surprised. We considered just letting him go, but we decided that we would war him for one round for a few reasons.

-He flat out told us that his plan was to start a war between STA and \m/.
-He's had a chance for a completely terms-less peace all day. Peace offers had been sent. Rather than accepting them and ending it, he chose to spend the day threatening us and spying on us.
-We ended up having to have another tense conversation with \m/, and it's just not something that should have had to happen.

So, because of these things, and especially the attempt to ignite a war involving us directly, we're going to war him for one round and be done with it. We've agreed to keep it non-nuclear, provided he destroys his nuclear weapons. He has done so. Once it's over, he's free to go wherever he'd like.
[/quote]
Handled wonderfully. Hopefully he'll change his ways in a future alliance.

[quote name='bakamitai' timestamp='1282097882' post='2420896']
I won't believe this until I see all three Triums post in this thread. kthx
[/quote]

This. You all sure your government is in knowledge of this this time? :ph34r:

Also that was the most grudging back down that I think I have ever witnessed.

[quote name='Methrage' timestamp='1282100135' post='2421013']
If he ends his wars with STA and stops tech raiding I would maybe accept him. Even if he's being unreasonable here, he's usually a decent poster that seems reasonable. Also it did seem STA was picking a fight with \m/, but they completely backed down afraid to fight except MM.
[/quote]
This is a response to all who posted on his behalf.... I may have been a bit harsh on my assessment of MM and bow to your opinions of his character. I only made my posting in responce to THIS thread. I don't usually have the time to peruse OWF so I am a bit uninformed about the major players here.

PK

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' timestamp='1282108104' post='2421206']
So it seems \m/ displayed quite a bit of good sense in letting Merrie Melodies go given he was attempting to maneuver them into a war.

Give him hell STA, and go in peace MM when its over.
[/quote]

\m/ got themselves in this hot water, they can't pin this whole conflict on him just because he is the fall guy. I have done plenty of raiding in TE but there is a right way to do it. There is a big difference between raiding someone and bullying someone because you can. It brings me pleasure to see alliances like \m/ or goons get the tables turned on them when they are trying to push a little guy around just because they can. Like most bullies they fold when someone stands up to them and is ready to fight.

Let me get this straight.

[list=1][*]Merrie Melodies is attacked by two STA nations.[*]\m/ goes to bat for him, securing what is essentially a white peace.[*]Merrie Melodies is dissatisfied with this and, wanting reps (or to prove a point?) does not accept the peace offers and spies on the STA nations and declares he will continue fighting.[*]\m/ kicks him out.[*]Merrie Melodies decides he wants peace after all.[/list]
Am I missing something or is this the most shameless example of changing your opinion when the numbers are against you in a long while?

Edited by Moridin

[quote name='Moridin' timestamp='1282112905' post='2421289']
Am I missing something or is this the most shameless example of changing your opinion when the numbers are against you in a long while?
[/quote]You would be wrong. The last time an opinion was changed like that was a couple hours prior to this one, by \m/ itself. But other than that, you're spot on!

[quote name='Moridin' timestamp='1282112905' post='2421289']
Let me get this straight.

[list=1][*]Merrie Melodies is attacked by two STA nations.[*]\m/ goes to bat for him, securing what is essentially a white peace.[*]Merrie Melodies is dissatisfied with this and, wanting reps (or to prove a point?) does not accept the peace offers and spies on the STA nations and declares he will continue fighting.[*]\m/ kicks him out.[*]Merrie Melodies decides he wants peace after all.[/list]
[/quote]

Personally I think they did the right thing. This melodies one claims to have wanted to get them into a war with STA, a war they would have lost badly. I don't think there can be too many alliances out there who want a member on board who tries to plot their destruction.

[quote name='TigerBaby' timestamp='1282113403' post='2421301']
Personally I think they did the right thing. This melodies one claims to have wanted to get them into a war with STA, a war they would have lost badly. I don't think there can be too many alliances out there who want a member on board who tries to plot their destruction.
[/quote]

Well, my point about changing one's tune was directed towards Merrie Melodies. I disagree with \m/'s tactics in dealing with this problem but overall their actions were fairly reasonable, especially the expulsion of Merrie Melodies who seems to have made it his mission to become as great a liability to his alliance as possible. I'm baffled as to why people in this thread are still singing his praises.

[quote name='Vol Navy' timestamp='1282113998' post='2421312']
I am still curious as to why or where CSM got the info that MM had left. Caliph had something to say about nearly every post I made last night except to answer that question. Just said it was a misunderstanding.
[/quote]

It's my understanding (someone more well-informed can correct me) that Merrie Melodies had made his intent to resign clear and that was interpreted as having made a resignation. Miscommunications happen, even at the government level, and I wouldn't fault anyone for it, but at the same time it means STA can't be blamed for taking CSM's word at face value.

[quote name='mdnss69' timestamp='1282117273' post='2421352']
Also, I forgot to ask, has the attackorate been lifted or is that matter still in dispute?
[/quote]

I am pretty sure the attaktorate was lifted right after our announcement and thus we have also lifted our protection of GGA from \m/ nations.

[quote name='the masheen' timestamp='1282120133' post='2421372']

STA, you're just pathetic all around. What exactly was the point in starting this all for five nations who didn't even want your help? You're either just attention whores or wanted to call out \m/ on their bluff (congrats you did and they folded). You're no better than the rest of the toe steppers out there.

MK, why aren't you crying about your sovereinity? STA is just allowed to protect unaligned nations for no particular reason? What gives them that right? What the hell was the point of the Red Raiding Safari? Maybe all the moralists were right. Maybe it really was all about NPO. If NPO would have came out to protect GGA instead of STA, would that have wet your whistle enough?

Where are all the tech raiders coming out against this? Here is your war! You always say how much of whiners these anti-tech raiders are. Well their finally doing something about it, and where are you? No where to be found. You guys are pathetic. You're all puppets. You're all weak. MM stuck to his guns. A genuine decent human being who stands up for what he believes in...let's all make fun of him to appease whoever we're trying to impress at the moment. This makes me sick.

END RANT.
[/quote]

Your rant would have much more effect if you actually read what STA posted rather than just assumed they protected GGA from raiders. They in fact did no such thing and actually opened GGA up for raids by any alliance who allows raids on aligned nations. They did however disputes \m/'s abilty to declare soverignty on the GGA name and attempt to use it as their exclusive raiding grounds.

So really all the tech raiders should thank STA for this, they actually took a step against an alliance trying to limit raiding.

[quote name='Vol Navy' timestamp='1282120676' post='2421375']
Your rant would have much more effect if you actually read what STA posted rather than just assumed they protected GGA from raiders. They in fact did no such thing and actually opened GGA up for raids by any alliance who allows raids on aligned nations. They did however disputes \m/'s abilty to declare soverignty on the GGA name and attempt to use it as their exclusive raiding grounds.

So really all the tech raiders should thank STA for this, they actually took a step against an alliance trying to limit raiding.
[/quote]

Oh. Honestly, nevermind then :P
My bad! Misheard the news on IRC, got PO'd. Disregard anything minus the \m/ rant.