An apology and a idea.

First off I want to apologize to Ragnarok for polluting their thread with my feelings about NpO, it was not the appropriate place.

Next, it seems that two groups who greatly dislike each other now hold high level treaties with the same alliance. Both of these groups have strong feelings for Ragnarok. The question is how do both of these groups live up to Ragnarok while holding this dislike?

I would like to propose to the NpO the idea of a joint manifesto crafted by both \m/ and NpO. It should be universally understood that a treaty on any level between \m/ and NpO would be a near impossibility (besides are NAPS even worth the time spent to write them?).

A joint manifesto while not a binding treaty would be a forum for both \m/ and NpO to express some basic principles of behavior the two alliances could abide by that would not cause grief to our mutual friends in Ragnarok.

While we might strongly dislike each other it should be possible to find a way to occupy the same space on occasion.

Thoughts?

Edit for clarification

Edited by Merrie Melodies

Allow me to postulate something to you. If someday,the winds of fate blow in a way that \m/ had to defend Polaris indirectly via treaty chains with RoK, would you throw your infra away for Polaris?

(Pardon me, I'm not sure if either treaty with RoK chains.)

I think you should go straight to our leadership. I'm not sure why you decided to go immediately to public channels, but I doubt my superiors are going to want to discuss this here.

Edit: This is not only a completely neutral post but not in any way representative of Polaris.

Edited by Zessa

[quote name='fallin' date='01 April 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1270155653' post='2244321']
Allow me to postulate something to you. If someday,the winds of fate blow in a way that \m/ had to defend Polaris indirectly via treaty chains with RoK, would you throw your infra away for Polaris?

(Pardon me, I'm not sure if either treaty with RoK chains.)
[/quote]
A very fair and difficult question, one that I would hope could be settled with a joint manifesto, I am sure Polaris would feel similar if they ever got in a position of throwing away infra to indirectly defend \m/

[quote name='Zessa' date='01 April 2010 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1270155749' post='2244324']
I think you should go straight to our leadership. I'm not sure why you decided to go immediately to public channels, but I doubt my superiors are going to want to discuss this here.

Edit: This is not only a completely neutral post but not in any way representative of Polaris.
[/quote]
immediately to public channels prob cuz part of the announcement was a public apology to RoK. And, even though it may not be discussed in public, i see no reason why the idea shouldnt be public. Im not saying it [b]should[/b]. just that theres no reason why it [b]shouldnt[/b] be. \m/ isnt hiding anything

[quote name='Zessa' date='01 April 2010 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1270155749' post='2244324']

[/quote]

We have not had a good track record doing private chans between our governments. I personally would rather, if possible work out the NpO-\m/ relations in regards to how we interact with RoK out in the open, for the whole world to see. No suspicion this way, besides, seeing as there was no Polar .gov presence on our forums prior to the renewal of your treaty I am not positive Polaris would have interest now.

High level talks with Polar have been cordial. Grub and I got along fine and while I haven't talked to Penguin on an official basis I'm sure he's pleasant too. That pleasantness doesn't mask deep-rooted hostility among members of both alliances. I'm not saying we're plotting to kill Polar but we're certainly not going to ever make an effort to improve relations past the basic level of civility and respect due to all alliances.

It's not a surprise that there are people in \m/ who dislike NpO, or that there are people in NpO who dislike \m/. What's important to me is that we like both of you - NpO and \m/ are both good allies. Life would be very boring if your friends were all the same, but when you have two friends who are pretty different, you accept that they won't always like each other as much as they like you. I could go on with this sweet little story but for the sake of the many (and to the chagrin of the rest), I suggest we talk about this while we are sitting on comfy sofas under mood lighting with martinis in our hands and with relaxing yet mind-focusing music in the background. I suggest [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beirut_%28band%29]Beirut[/url] for the music.

Ragnarok will provide the alcohol.

I don't particularly dislike you or anyone else for that matter (though I'm sure others in Polar do). We have had incompatible outlooks for some time and so we haven't often agreed on right and wrong. I don't mind if you express dislike of my alliance when relevant but perhaps it makes others feel uncomfortable? If you are really interested in mutually dialing down the inflammatory rhetoric, I suppose we could work towards that, I guess I just don't let it bother me so much. You are always welcome to come speak to me if you want (and can find me in between fishing expeditions).

[quote name='Penguin' date='01 April 2010 - 10:00 PM' timestamp='1270159202' post='2244402']
I don't particularly dislike you or anyone else for that matter (though I'm sure others in Polar do). We have had incompatible outlooks for some time and so we haven't often agreed on right and wrong. I don't mind if you express dislike of my alliance when relevant but perhaps it makes others feel uncomfortable? If you are really interested in mutually dialing down the inflammatory rhetoric, I suppose we could work towards that, I guess I just don't let it bother me so much. You are always welcome to come speak to me if you want (and can find me in between fishing expeditions).
[/quote]
It was just a idea, one that appears to have meet with lackluster support.

My apology to RoK for polluting their thread stands.
Good luck guys.

[quote name='Sandwich Controversy' date='01 April 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1270155612' post='2244320']
\m/ and NpO should have a duel, and the winner gets RoK.
[/quote]
It would be the greatest recruitment drive \m/'s ever seen.

[quote name='Fallen_Fool' date='02 April 2010 - 01:28 AM' timestamp='1270171719' post='2244674']
Someday someone has to sit me down and explain why \m/ thinks they factor prominently in Polar's decision- and policy-making.
[/quote]
We don't and shouldn't, yet we both carry a high level treaty with the same alliance, might be nice not to be at each others throats? No?

[quote name='Merrie Melodies' date='01 April 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1270171906' post='2244680']
We don't and shouldn't, yet we both carry a high level treaty with the same alliance, might be nice not to be at each others throats? No?
[/quote]I would not have thought, before the Rok-Polar thread got invaded, that we were. But then again I haven't really paid attention to these lately. Instead I've been focusing more on our private member forums where \m/ hasn't come up in any meaningful way in over a month.

Edited by Fallen_Fool

You did not have to apologize MM, i thought we were above those things, owf flareups have always happened here, and will keep on happening regardless of the parties concerned. In fact if you think about it, all it did was ensure that no one of the involved, missed the fact that this is indeed an issue that needs to be addressed. The fact remains, Ragnarök values both Polaris and \m/ and that is not just the government speaking. Talk to the membership, you will find it to be true.

That is one of the reasons why the war was so distasteful and distressing to the lot of us. That is also the reason why we continue with our efforts to bring tolerance and civility between our friends. I know it can happen, it has worked before where Polaris was caught between Ragnarök and another of their friends bickering all the time. It worked so well that even now it keeps working in-spite of situations changing so drastically in the three relationships involved in the example quoted.

Yeah, firm believer in talking to address issues. But yeah, Priv Chans FTW applies here.