Imperial Decree from the New Pacific Order

Cortath

Because Mary was already regent, so this changes nothing? And because she was an IO for a long time under the old administration before that and a major part of 'old Pacifica'?

I'm more confused by the people who seem to think this changes anything, to be honest – or even why Cortath has to 'appoint' someone to a position they already held (maybe that's some piece of Pacifican law).

He does actually have to appoint a new regent. Dilber did the same thing when he took power, as did Moo. That they make it public is a new thing, though. Anyway, Janova, I don't think anyone seriously considers this change yet, and if they do, they need their head checked. Yes, Mary is one of the more decent IO's. She is being kept in the position as chief adviser to the Emperor.

At least you know she wasn't the one organizing the spying, nor the backstabbing of allies, so this should be a good thing. Anyway, Cortath is an entirely different beast from Moo, and I have faith in his ability to lead the NPO in a different direction, as do many others who actually know the man. You should give him a chance before commencing the heckling.

Edit:

I find it hard to believe that you cannot find any fresh and capable people amongst your massed ranks but eh, choose you who want. Just stop putting out the rhetoric about changing when you're clearly doing nothing of the sort.

You'd think so, but recently I've begun to have my doubts about the capacities of all those "fresh and capable among the massed ranks". I mean...That Dhal guy, for example?

Edited by Chron

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that you cannot find any fresh and capable people amongst your massed ranks but eh, choose you who want. Just stop putting out the rhetoric about changing when you're clearly doing nothing of the sort.

Change does not come in the form of changed names, but changed actions.

(Put another way: It doesn't matter who's in charge. What matters is what they actually do.)

(Put another way: It doesn't matter who's in charge. What matters is what they actually do.)

And the person that is in charge DID the same thing that the person in charge before him did, in appointing Mary. So are we to assume nothing has changed?

New faces promote change. But NPO can appoint whoever they want. It's up to them which direction they go. (Which, at this point, I do believe it is impossible to tell which direction that is.)

Good luck in rebuilding.

And the person that is in charge DID the same thing that the person in charge before him did, in appointing Mary. So are we to assume nothing has changed?

You're being overly literal.

I'm not really sure why anyone who isn't allied to NPO (i.e. everyone except GATO) should care who they appoint to government positions. What actually affects us is when they take actions that, you know, affect people in other alliances, such as attacking OV, protecting GOONS or defending Red unaligned.

They've been doing very little of any of those lately. Surrender terms make it sort of difficult to take actions affecting other alliances.

New faces promote change. But NPO can appoint whoever they want. It's up to them which direction they go. (Which, at this point, I do believe it is impossible to tell which direction that is.)

This is basically what I was saying.

I think you are missing the point. It doesn't matter who is doing the choosing when the people they choose are EXACTLY the same as before. At a time when a lot of people are watching to see if NPO shows any sign of changing it's old ways, this sort of decision is interesting (and slightly confusing). If Cortath chooses exactly the same people in all the positions that you chose, what's changed?

Actually, before Cortath, all previous Emperors changed the Regent.

So therefore, Cortath is changing!

ha!

Actually, before Cortath, all previous Emperors changed the Regent.

So therefore, Cortath is changing!

ha!

Before Cortath all emperors were regents at the moment of their crowning.

So I guess Moo already changed his ways :P .

Hey guys, I'm gonna be totally original and point out that Mary was already regent, and so this isn't a change! That'll make me look cool and smart and edgy!

Oh man, you sure told us! Your biting sarcastic wit made me feel ridiculous for implying that this isn't a change at all!

Which, of course, it technically isn't.

Wow. Is Mary really that bad in your views?

Where in my post does it say that it's a bad thing? I'm just responding to Haflinger who didn't seem to understand how people could see it as 'same old same old'. I don't really have an opinion on Mary, to be honest with you. I think this covers Haflinger and Chron as well – you guys (all three) seem to be reading value judgements into my post that I didn't put there.

:ph34r:

Every Emperor chooses his/her own Regent, therefore Cortath also chose his own Regent. I don't see why this is so difficult for some people.

And breaking the surrender terms? Are you on crack, leaderoftheworld?

I think probably even if we cured cancer, we would not be changing. We have exchanged Trotsky for Eugene Debs; seems like a change to me. But guess I'm biased.

Not commenting on positives or negatives of this appointment. But how does a re-appointment like this reflect change?

Well I'm going to guess, but this is pretty much saying that the new emperor will not be changing his regent, and Moo's will stay as Regent.

I was asking Moo as he seemed to imply this appointment was evidence of a new NPO. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to state the obvious back to me. But thanks just the same. ;)