Recognition of war

Im sorry, i may have missed it.

But when anthony asked to be attacked, did he mention that there would be no consequences of doing so?

ooc: I remember plenty of times when parental figures have told their children to go ahead and try it, and you know what, when the kid tried it, there were consequences

What happened to diplomacy? Why did NSO declare war? This DoW is a severe overreaction, not a reasonable consequence.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "DoW" on the OWF was a joke...

I'm sure that Anthony's "come and get me" was a joke as well.

Does that mean RAD's attack on him showed just the same lack of a sense of humor?

RAD obviously didn't get the joke and is getting punished for the lack of appreciation of lulz (whatever the hell that is). :D

are you kidding me? how often does a parent tell their kid to do something and then beat this !@#$ out of them for doing what they asked him/her to do?

Anything that a nation or alliance does will have some consequences, whether or not the other party asked for it.

ooc:

Mom, im gonna go kick the dog,

do it and see what happens

kid kicks the dog

kid gets punished.

Yup, see it happen all the time

Holy !@#$, what do you need, a giant neon sign stating that if you attack a nation belonging to an alliance that there is a good chance the alliance will support them? Do you not do that in your alliance? I don't see why NSO should ask for reps or try diplomacy when one of their nations was attacked due to a public alliance announcement by RAD declaring war on anyone they choose to attack. Sorry you don't agree with that but maybe you can go and dare a RAD nation to attack you so you can do it your way instead of just trying to tell NSO that they have to do it your way, yes?
What happened to diplomacy? Why did NSO declare war? This DoW is a severe overreaction, not a reasonable consequence.

There, just in case you missed it.

I recall a few weeks ago a number of pink alliances (and also a few MA members, for some reason I haven't quite yet puzzled out) "daring" us to attack them. Was that permission? Would we have been right to do so?

Actually, yes. Though as HeniousOne has stated, you can evaluate your options and determine if it is worth it to you or not. It was worth it for RAD to attack you in their mind. In reference to the MA situation I probably wouldn't act on it now if I were in your position, but if the situation occurs again you have another opportunity to act.

Quickedit: Specifying what 'situation' I'm talking about.

Edited by Logan

Anything that a nation or alliance does will have some consequences, whether or not the other party asked for it.

ooc:

Mom, im gonna go kick the dog,

do it and see what happens

kid kicks the dog

kid gets punished.

Yup, see it happen all the time

more like this

kid: Mom, im going to go fight the world

brother: oh yeah, try and take me on

kid grabs brother

brother tells him to do it

kid hits brother in the arm

mom beats kid with baseball bat

Actually, yes. Though as HeniousOne has stated, you can evaluate your options and determine if it is worth it to you or not. It was worth it for RAD to attack you in their mind. I probably wouldn't act on it now if I were in your position, but if the situation occurs again you have another opportunity to act.

Someone "daring" you to attack them or do something does not justify doing it. I thnk we may have been right to attack back then, if we had really wanted to, just for being insufferable and annoying, but not because they dared us to. Anthony's response to their thread in no way warranted aggressive actions or hostilities. Unwarranted aggression on a member-state of our alliance merits a proper and decisive response.

more like this

kid: Mom, im going to go fight the world

brother: oh yeah, try and take me on

kid grabs brother

brother tells him to do it

kid hits brother in the arm

mom beats kid with baseball bat

flawed analogy.

replace mom beats kid with baseball bat to brother beats kid with baseball bat and it would be more accurate.

Really? Then what is all this noise in this thread about then?

Same old stuff you always get on here in war threads, being recycled 10 times every page. Much of it from people who aren't in either of the involved alliances, excellently!

Holy !@#$, what do you need, a giant neon sign stating that if you attack a nation belonging to an alliance that there is a good chance the alliance will support them? Do you not do that in your alliance? I don't see why NSO should ask for reps or try diplomacy when one of their nations was attacked due to a public alliance announcement by RAD declaring war on anyone they choose to attack. Sorry you don't agree with that but maybe you can go and dare a RAD nation to attack you so you can do it your way instead of just trying to tell NSO that they have to do it your way, yes?

Yes, if the attacking nation had hostile intents I would agree that it is reasonable to expect the defending alliance to support the nation being attacked. However, when two nations are in a friendly duel, I don't expect their alliances to get involved. To me, Anthony seemed to be asking for a friendly duel. The mood of the whole thread was one of humor and joviality. There was nothing to suggest that the people asking to be attacked would bring their whole alliances into the fray.

NSO should have tried diplomacy becuase it would have avoided pointless destruction.

Also, the route I am suggesting is more logical than what the NSO has done. Of course, I am assuming that the NSO does not want to fabricate tensions, create trouble for other alliances, and create destruction. I think I may be wrong on that one.

flawed analogy.

replace mom beats kid with baseball bat to brother beats kid with baseball bat and it would be more accurate.

and then the kid would be punished or looked down upon by the world because they beat the hell out of their own brother with a baseball bat over a joke. yeah?

Also, the route I am suggesting is more logical than what the NSO has done. Of course, I am assuming that the NSO does not want to fabricate tensions, create trouble for other alliances, and create destruction. I think I may be wrong on that one.

You do realize that is what this world is, do you?

There, just in case you missed it.

Look at my previous post.

I'm not telling the NSO to do anything. I'm just showing that they did not want to take the path that would have diffused tensions because they wanted war in the first place. This is something that could have been easily avoided but they took the trouble to start a war anyway.

and then the kid would be punished or looked down upon by the world because they beat the hell out of their own brother with a baseball bat over a joke. yeah?

Geez, someone had a jacked up childhood...

Bad analogies aside, I don't see how you are complicating the issue so badly.

Sure, DoWs can be thrown around carelessly as a joke, but as the leader of nation I will state forcefully, the moment foreign troops invade my land, murder my citizens, and attempt to destroy my cities, the laughing stops. There are many nations and alliances who, quite correctly, feel the same way.

It is unfortunate that RAD's joking went too far, but, that should be a poignant reminder to tread carefully if one does not actually wish for war.

NSO should have tried diplomacy becuase it would have avoided pointless destruction.

NSO was the ones attacked. Anthony may have asked for it, but J8 actually declared war, deployed troops, and launched multiple ground attacks placing anthony's nation into anarchy.

The defending party is under no obligation to try diplomacy. They are under the obligation to defend their members from attacks in whatever way *they* deem appropriate, not you. They deemed military action was an appropriate response to military action.

Works for me.

War is necessary for people who ask for it.

o/ NSO and our Dark Lord!

I believe someone already mentioned it, but, if asking for it makes it necessary, then I believe that it was necessary for RAD to do it to the nation that ASKED for it?

I don't support either side, just want to get my facts straight.

Someone "daring" you to attack them or do something does not justify doing it. I thnk we may have been right to attack back then, if we had really wanted to, just for being insufferable and annoying, but not because they dared us to. Anthony's response to their thread in no way warranted aggressive actions or hostilities. Unwarranted aggression on a member-state of our alliance merits a proper and decisive response.

I definitely agree that it warrants your response. But I think we have a big difference in opinion on just how accountable people should be for their words. I can see where you are coming from so I'll just agree to disagree.

NSO didn't declare war,

NSO recognized hostilities.

Big difference

RAD didn't declare war upon the NSO. Yes, some of you may argue that attacking one member is attacking them all, however RAD had permission to attack Anthony and they did not have hostile intents towards the NSO. So RAD's attack cannot be considered a DoW. Furthermore, if we were to observe most, if not all, of the cases in which these types of things occured, we would notice that alliances tried diplomacy before they recognized hostilities or declared war.