An open letter to all of the Cyberverse

pezstar

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to take off my Sith cloak and wizard hat for a moment and argue with you, dear ally, that it's very much impossible at this point to "change the status quo" because by this time, even if the NPO gets destroyed or the Continuum falls, or both; it will make no difference. You, no we, are all products of what the game had become when you and your friends and possibly me and mine took part in forcing out of the game people different than ourselves. It's funny that you should hear this from a self-proclaimed Fascist but that just proves I'm not a Nazi. As for the topic I was discussing... nothing will change with the fall of Q or the New Pacific Order. For the critically challenged, here's what lies over the horizon: Superfriends, the commies, and Chuck Norris curbstomp the NPO and cannibalize the emperor, a month of "WOW WE'RE FREE" passes, people realize that there's nothing all that different to do; the same trends continue: faulty reasons for war, too many meaningless treaties being signed, people being forced out for OOC reasons (ie NoV), all that. Soon enough, a replacement bloc for Q will surface or otherwise, one of the victors will emerge as the new hyperpower right after the war. Enjoy the fun while it lasts, I suppose.

Boy, the time really must fly around your palace.

Edited by Hymenbreach

I think Tom pretty much said what I was thinking.... I'll just add this... In order to truly change the status quo you have to demonstrate a better way that works and be successful doing it. To get this game fluid again we need to show that war between alliances can be done without extortion, without multi alliance curbstomps and without resorting to effectively keeping our fellow players from playing the game on the character they choose to play.

I think what the OP was getting at has been slightly misconstrude, I dealt with many members of the STA and i know exactly what he means.....they have a policy.....The STICK to it, that policy doesnt change to suit a cause, LOD you can play a game in an honourable way by commiting to the character you choose i.e if you choose to be a freedom fighter or an opposision voice then by all means oppose just dont turn into what you oppose.....Does that make sense? i know it might not im not good at explaining myself lol,

Honour is the most important thing. If you do not honour your treaties or your friends then there is no point to your alliance.

I for one will act honourably in the upcoming war, relative to my morals of course and hope that my opponents shall too.

o/Justice/Honour/Loyalty

I'm pretty sure that I said it elsewhere: expect no quarter, and expect no mercy. The purpose of war is to annihilate your opponent in the most expedient manner possible, and every action taken during wartime should serve that end. Nobody around here can even agree on what the exact definitions of honorable are, which makes trying to take the moral high ground not only patently absurd, but practically impossible. In my opinion, that certain historical factions were unable to grasp this simple truth is one of the major reasons for their downfalls - they couldn't commit themselves to the destruction of their enemies, whereas their enemies were more than happy to burn the world down around their ears.

War isn't pretty, and war isn't clean. Get over it.

Did I say you shouldn't do it because I don't like it? No. You're assuming that's what I mean.

And did *I* say that you said that people shouldn't do it? Uhhh, let's have a read... nope!

I'm not assuming anything here. Your meaning is plain as day. That you don't like what follows from what you're saying is not my problem.

Completely agree with the OP, very well written and a great summary of how things have been going down. I also share his hope that those that engage in combat, if they are still intending to do so, treat your opponents like your equals, and get a good clean fight on.

I must have missed the part where disbanding alliances is honorable.

Oh! I see what you did there! Because, I did something that some people don't agree with over a year and a half ago, I can never have a point again. My mistake!

Edited by pezstar

Honor is having the guts to stand up for what you believe in, regardless of what that may be, and to continue standing up for it regardless of whether you are winning or losing. It's doing the right thing regardless of what others think. It's standing not behind your allies, but beside them.

What happens when one does not believe in his treaties and is only using those treaties to achieve higher power? According to your definition as long as they believe in what they are doing it is honorable. However, I disagree. If they agree to things they don't believe in, then they should still uphold their agreements.

Honor is relative.

This.

I also believe that those that constantly shout to everyone that they are honorable and their opponents aren't, are in fact hypocrites. Those that rejoice at Q's downfall will rule in the exact same manner if they have the chance. Either from vengeance or because they don't want another Q to arise. Either way, it's all the same, and thus the hypocrisy.

e; fail spelling

Edited by Richard Rahl