An open letter to all of the Cyberverse

pezstar

This.

I also believe that those that constantly shout to everyone that they are honorable and their opponents aren't, are in fact hypocrites. Those that rejoice at Q's downfall will rule in the exact same manner if they have the chance. Either from vengeance or because they don't want another Q to arise. Either way, it's all the same, and thus the hypocrisy.

e; fail spelling

I FIND YOUR WILD SPECULATION BASED ON NO EVIDENCE COMPELLING SIR. HOW MAY I SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR NEWSLETTER?

SIR YOU MUST PROVIDE A COUNTER POINT TO HIS POINT.

THEN MY COUNTERPOINT SHALL BE THAT MORALITY IS NOT RELATIVE, BUT SUBJECTIVE.

CHECKMATE SIR.

Edited by Sal Paradise

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honour is interpreted differently from person to person and from alliance to alliance. Its size can not be measured, yet people constantly point out they have more than others. It cant be compared to another's interpretation of the concept, yep people constantly gloat about their own while mocking others. Some alliances are using their understanding of the concept as the basis for their entire foreign policy. This makes these alliances incompatible with all who do not agree with their version honour. Alliances who do not share this version are unworthy in their eyes and this can be seen in virtually every thread in the last few months. Honour is nothing more than a tool similar to patriotism and people will go to great lengths to show they are more honourable that others. They will ignore their own values as long as people who dont share their version of the concept suffer. The only use for this concept on Bob should relate to honouring your agreed to obligations. This is my opinion on the matter it is not right or wrong it cant be measured against your opinion, its not more important or less important than your opinion and its not better or worse than your opinion. I will not force it on you.

Edited by Alterego

Riiiight, because basing assumptions on history is wild speculation. I stated my opinion, as you have yours. The only difference is that I was civil and you were not.

Oh is that right? Which historical period are you referring to in which a hegemonic power was defeated and the victors ruled in the exact same manner?

Also, I apologize for offending your sensibilities when I _____________. I'll be sure not to ___________ again.

Oh is that right? Which historical period are you referring to in which a hegemonic power was defeated and the victors ruled in the exact same manner?

Also, I apologize for offending your sensibilities when I _____________. I'll be sure not to ___________ again.

I'm talking about the beginning of CN of course. NPO fought the powers that were and lost. Then they rebuilt, fought again and won. And they acted in the exact same manner; creating a "peaceful" Bob for us to all live in. If anyone takes power from the NPO, they will act in the exact manner because they have to. If they don't consolidate their power and impose their will upon others, then they will not be able to rule and face retribution from those they've deposed. I'm sorry that I'm a realist.

Also, point me to where I said you offended my sensibilities. Pointing out your lack of civility to anyone that disagrees with you is not the same as being offended. Poor trolling attempt sir.

As for the topic I was discussing... nothing will change with the fall of Q or the New Pacific Order. For the critically challenged, here's what lies over the horizon: Superfriends, the commies, and Chuck Norris curbstomp the NPO and cannibalize the emperor, a month of "WOW WE'RE FREE" passes, people realize that there's nothing all that different to do; the same trends continue: faulty reasons for war, too many meaningless treaties being signed, people being forced out for OOC reasons (ie NoV), all that. Soon enough, a replacement bloc for Q will surface or otherwise, one of the victors will emerge as the new hyperpower right after the war. Enjoy the fun while it lasts, I suppose.

There is truth in this post.

What we have here is a geo-political simulator. People are expected to scheme and plot just as they do in real life. Add to that the fact that only pixels get hurt here (well maybe feelings too, but that's not my concern)... what do you expect? People always seek to impose themselves upon others, be it through "superior firepower" or a better use of dialectics (If I recall correctly, the word "polemic" comes from a Greek word whose root means "war"), the latter being the rage among the people who sit on their white horses while standing on higher ground. As Litler eloquently explained, nothing is going to change at all and there isn't a real chance that things are going to change in the long run, even if the current "Global Despots" are overthrown.

What I find amusing is the fact that people who find the current situation unbearable (like the one who posted the OP) resort to OOC arguments in order to change the status quo. That is why my answer to threads like this is "NO" and will never be anything else. I will NEVER change the way I play my character because someone thinks there isn't enough "honour" in this game from an OOC perspective; my only bound is the TOS and the rules set by mods and admin himself.

If you have further complaints, you can address the ruler of Provence-Alpes; you will find him to be an amiable man who has a penchant for economics and warmongering.

Good day to you; indeed, enjoy the fun while it lasts.

...and now, I expect the usual the usual flock of OWF pundits (I prefer this term to "peanut gallery" or whatever they call it nowadays) ripping my post because of the AA tag I wear, or because my nation is in peace mode. Don't disappoint me people. Oh and did you remember to polish your white armor today?

Edited by IrishX

Dear Alliances and Nations of the Cyberverse,

By now, we've all become aware of the war on the horizon. It's a war that has the possibility of changing the future of how the Cyberverse is run. For some, it's the opportunity to make their final stand against the status quo, and say "No! We no longer wish to live in a world that is run by your rules." For others, it's a chance to establish themselves as The Powers That Be once and for all.

No one knows how it will play out in the coming days, weeks, and maybe even months. No one knows the outcome. I will tell you what both I, and many in the Siberian Tiger Alliance know, however. We know what honor is.

Honor is having the guts to stand up for what you believe in, regardless of what that may be, and to continue standing up for it regardless of whether you are winning or losing. It's doing the right thing regardless of what others think. It's standing not behind your allies, but beside them.

Over the last year that this war has been building, a group emerged, constantly criticizing the other side for their policies and practices. As we've gradually watched the Continuum begin to unravel, I've noticed that members of the opposition group have developed a tendency to applaud when alliances they perceive to be on their side perform some of the same acts they've been so quick to criticize before, and when called out on it, reply with such statements as "Yes, I'm sure it hurts when you get a taste of your own medicine."

No, my friends. That is not how it should be. Two wrongs don't make a right. We've declared ourselves to be the honorable, moral ones for ages now. It's time to pay the piper and prove it. Should the world come to blows as is expected, it's time to show the rest of the Cyberverse that we practice what we preach, and plan to bring REAL change to the World, rather than the same old status quo but with different people holding the steering wheel.

I urge everyone, regarding their side in this mess, to act with honor. Practice what you preach, and remember that dying with honor is far better than living without it.

Za Sibir,

Pezstar

Consilium Tigris

Siberian Tiger Alliance

You call it bitter... we call it foaming at the mouth to watch your alliance get what we believe it so richly deserves.
I look forward to your alliance getting pounded to smithereens.
STA wishes Valhalla exactly the same as you've given us for the last year and a half.

You know Pezstar, you're right. People should practice what they preach, people should stand up for what they believe in, people should fight for REAL change. People should also stop talking out of both sides of their mouth before they call on the whole world to act with honor. You and your ilk can talk until they are blue in the face about change but very few of you actually say that makes me believe we'd be better off with you lot at the helm.

I, too, expect this response to get picked apart because of my alliance affiliation or war/peace status.

Have at it boys and girls.

:wub:

Riiiight, because basing assumptions on history is wild speculation. I stated my opinion, as you have yours. The only difference is that I was civil and you were not.

The downfall of Q is history somehow now? I'll be right back... I've got to go tell my alliance some news about a totally unrelated matter!

I think Tom pretty much said what I was thinking.... I'll just add this... In order to truly change the status quo you have to demonstrate a better way that works and be successful doing it. To get this game fluid again we need to show that war between alliances can be done without extortion, without multi alliance curbstomps and without resorting to effectively keeping our fellow players from playing the game on the character they choose to play.

I think this sums it up.

Ill have to say it appears that the OTHER side is at its peek so if you plan on doing something to change this game I would say now is the time to do it.

In order for your ideals to work Pez people must be willing to sacrifice their infra in this game to start it and from what ive seen not enough have the determination to make that sacrifice while we on the other side have no problem doing so. It was a well written appeal and to some of the points I agree. But untill people are willing to take the risk to overthrow the da Ebil people in this game they need to quit !@#$%*en and step up to the plate and make the changes they want, and if that means loosing some infra then so be it.

There is truth in this post.

What we have here is a geo-political simulator. People are expected to scheme and plot just as they do in real life. Add to that the fact that only pixels get hurt here (well maybe feelings too, but that's not my concern)... what do you expect? People always seek to impose themselves upon others, be it through "superior firepower" or a better use of dialectics (If I recall correctly, the word "polemic" comes from a Greek word whose root means "war"), the latter being the rage among the people who sit on their white horses while standing on higher ground. As Litler eloquently explained, nothing is going to change at all and there isn't a real chance that things are going to change in the long run, even if the current "Global Despots" are overthrown.

What I find amusing is the fact that people who find the current situation unbearable (like the one who posted the OP) resort to OOC arguments in order to change the status quo. That is why my answer to threads like this is "NO" and will never be anything else. I will NEVER change the way I play my character because someone thinks there isn't enough "honour" in this game from an OOC perspective; my only bound is the TOS and the rules set by mods and admin himself.

If you have further complaints, you can address the ruler of Provence-Alpes; you will find him to be an amiable man who has a penchant for economics and warmongering.

Good day to you; indeed, enjoy the fun while it lasts.

...and now, I expect the usual the usual flock of OWF pundits (I prefer this term to "peanut gallery" or whatever they call it nowadays) ripping my post because of the AA tag I wear, or because my nation is in peace mode. Don't disappoint me people. Oh and did you remember to polish your white armor today?

YEAH EASY TO SAY FROM PEACE MODE

You know Pezstar, you're right. People should practice what they preach, people should stand up for what they believe in, people should fight for REAL change. People should also stop talking out of both sides of their mouth before they call on the whole world to act with honor. You and your ilk can talk until they are blue in the face about change but very few of you actually say that makes me believe we'd be better off with you lot at the helm.

I, too, expect this response to get picked apart because of my alliance affiliation or war/peace status.

Have at it boys and girls.

:wub:

YEAH SAY THAT WHEN YOUR NOT IN PEACE MODE

am i doin it right? :P

In order for your ideals to work Pez people must be willing to sacrifice their infra in this game to start it and from what ive seen not enough have the determination to make that sacrifice while we on the other side have no problem doing so.

I disagree with both points, Bud. The list of alliances from the most recent conflict who took a heavy pounding solely to protect their friends -- and STA was one of those alliances -- should convince you that you've made a mistake.

Your second point is also highly debatable, as it's your friends/allies who seem to have jumped into peace mode. Note that I do not deny that this is a valid tactic in troubled times, but you can't do that and then claim that you "have no problem" sacrificing your pixels.

Also....well-written, pezstar.

I disagree with both points, Bud. The list of alliances from the most recent conflict who took a heavy pounding solely to protect their friends -- and STA was one of those alliances -- should convince you that you've made a mistake.

Your second point is also highly debatable, as it's your friends/allies who seem to have jumped into peace mode. Note that I do not deny that this is a valid tactic in troubled times, but you can't do that and then claim that you "have no problem" sacrificing your pixels.

Also....well-written, pezstar.

My comments are more reflective of the current state of Planet Bob. STA is an alliance that cares more for their friends than pixels with out a doubt, TDMS*(RIP) NV NoV(rip) FCO, GR and a few others fit this well but for the majority on the other side id say the oppurtunity has arisen for a level playing field or as close as its going to get and now is the time to effect said change but they dont seem willing to take the chance to do so. I am writing this as the player behind the nation not the ruler of my nation so I guess this portion is an OOC response and my assesement of the current situation on Bob.

To your second point a key to victory is to do what is not expected as we can see by the surprise on the forums our current entrance to peacemode has people looking over there shoulders and wondering whats going on. SoM used this tactic very well if I remember as no one could tell what there next move was going to be. The key is too win the war and if you fail to use all tools that are available then you have failed as a leader of men.

As soon as Valhalla uses peace mode to avoid a war, then your point becomes valid. There is no war yet. We have yet to see exactly what the point of their peace mode yet.

I applaud ur OP, but it does foreshadow the dark future to come:

As the 'idealists' increasingly perpetrate the very acts they condemned,

That in victory u become the very thing ur fighting against.

It's a tragic result of human nature, for which there is but one solution: Join Valhalla