An open letter to all of the Cyberverse

pezstar

Dear Alliances and Nations of the Cyberverse,

By now, we've all become aware of the war on the horizon. It's a war that has the possibility of changing the future of how the Cyberverse is run. For some, it's the opportunity to make their final stand against the status quo, and say "No! We no longer wish to live in a world that is run by your rules." For others, it's a chance to establish themselves as The Powers That Be once and for all.

No one knows how it will play out in the coming days, weeks, and maybe even months. No one knows the outcome. I will tell you what both I, and many in the Siberian Tiger Alliance know, however. We know what honor is.

Honor is having the guts to stand up for what you believe in, regardless of what that may be, and to continue standing up for it regardless of whether you are winning or losing. It's doing the right thing regardless of what others think. It's standing not behind your allies, but beside them.

Over the last year that this war has been building, a group emerged, constantly criticizing the other side for their policies and practices. As we've gradually watched the Continuum begin to unravel, I've noticed that members of the opposition group have developed a tendency to applaud when alliances they perceive to be on their side perform some of the same acts they've been so quick to criticize before, and when called out on it, reply with such statements as "Yes, I'm sure it hurts when you get a taste of your own medicine."

No, my friends. That is not how it should be. Two wrongs don't make a right. We've declared ourselves to be the honorable, moral ones for ages now. It's time to pay the piper and prove it. Should the world come to blows as is expected, it's time to show the rest of the Cyberverse that we practice what we preach, and plan to bring REAL change to the World, rather than the same old status quo but with different people holding the steering wheel.

I urge everyone, regarding their side in this mess, to act with honor. Practice what you preach, and remember that dying with honor is far better than living without it.

Za Sibir,

Pezstar

Consilium Tigris

Siberian Tiger Alliance

Disclaimer:

The following post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of my alliance.

Wow... this is getting me excited. I almost cannot control my gleeful stimulation.

A change in the future of cyberverse...

Final stand against the status quo...

A true revolution! Taking us away from the bland stalemates of the recent wars and make things exciting again!!!

Please let this be...

Make this a good reason for me to play CN.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play this game for growth, not for war. I will not abandon my friends and allies I have made in my 2 years here. You don't do that. The bottomline is, regardless of whether this is a game or not, regardless of war on the horizon or not, be respectful and treat the other players with dignity. Dignity is something apart from the game that people need to use both in RL and the cyberverse.

Don't abandon your team. That's another one. Stick up for what you believe in and don't leave your friends and allies behind because times are tough. Another real life skill. Life ain't fair and neither is the cyberverse. So suit up and don't wuss out when times get bad cause they might.

Now, in regards to the thread at hand, props to Peztar for a great oration. In all seriousness, I hope it doesn't come to blows and I hope things can be resolved peacefully and without "bloodshed", but sometimes things don't go as we hope and I understand the ramifications of what the future may hold.

And by the way, I know war is a part of the game. Like I said, we all play for different reasons and ways. Some play for conquest and destruction, and others like myself play for peaceful growth. Either way I understand and don't treat the fellow players like dirt.

Edited by lmcfalcon12

It's a war game. Without the war aspect of the game what are you going to do, shun people to death?

Shun people to death? Funny you should mention that.

GOOD SIR I HAVE NOTICED YOU ENJOY USING ALL CAPS TO MOCK YOUR DETRACTORS

I AGREE WITH SAID POLICY.

ARE YOU MOCKING ME SIR?

It's a war game. Without the war aspect of the game what are you going to do, shun people to death?

People aren't railing against war. They're railing against the roll, the year long viceroys, and the forced disbandments.

As this is an OOC forum, and this response is OOC, I really have one thing to say - the moral highground disgusts me. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people skate by on words like "honor" and "freedom". This is a Geo-political Simulator. You may think you may have more "honor" doing it your way, but you're just the same as the rest of us. You're a player of a game.

o u mad cuz she stylin' on u?

Nice OP. :awesome:

We all have different interpretations of right and wrong. But there are some issues where the two sides clearly are so.

In that case how can anyone take the "moral high ground" if we view our morals in our own preconceptions and perceptions. Or how can anyone do wrong if what we think right or wrong is may not be right or wrong to them. Before anyone takes a moral high ground or pretends to or says the are/will do just remember there will always someone who views that you are doing the unmoral thing and try to take the moral high ground against you. The game is reciprocal.

I hear ya Pezstar, but what do you think will happen if the "moral" side wins but lets the other side off without much damage? Is it moral to let oppressors remain a threat and quickly regain strength so that they can continue doing what they've been doing? Case in point: I wasn't around for GWI, but I think we all know how that worked out.

Hopefully a balance can be worked out so that we can put a long-term end to some of these injustices while displaying mercy/justice ourselves.

As this is an OOC forum, and this response is OOC, I really have one thing to say - the moral highground disgusts me. I find it absolutely ridiculous that people skate by on words like "honor" and "freedom". This is a Geo-political Simulator. You may think you may have more "honor" doing it your way, but you're just the same as the rest of us. You're a player of a game.

It's responses like this that make me dislike what CN has become. The belief that you can just be a !@#$%^& to everyone because you're on the Internet is a ridiculous concept. Honestly, it reminds me of /b/, as they are the way they are because they are Anonymous.

Just because you're playing a game does not mean you have to throw away your personality or the values of right and wrong. You can still fight and do political stuff with honor. Thank you, pezstar, I enjoyed your post.

Edited by Jonathan Brookbank

In that case how can anyone take the "moral high ground" if we view our morals in our own preconceptions and perceptions. Or how can anyone do wrong if what we think right or wrong is may not be right or wrong to them. Before anyone takes a moral high ground or pretends to or says the are/will do just remember there will always someone who views that you are doing the unmoral thing and try to take the moral high ground against you. The game is reciprocal.

In CN there is one area where there seems to be a general agreement about what is right and wrong: honoring treaties. In my view - and this post reflects my own opinion and not those of my Alliance - "moral high ground" in a political-military-economic simulation such as CN involves the extent to which a person or an Alliance exhibits a degree of consistency and a general lack of hypocrisy relative to honoring their treaties.

In the case of MDoAP treaties, some Alliances are perceived to be less aggressive and will tend not to "band-wagon" onto wars, while others proclaim their aggressiveness and do enter into wars that others have started. Who has the moral high ground? Both do - if they are being consistent with their past public statements.

Another issue is treaty cancellation. Does it show a lack of "moral high ground" to cancel a MDP treaty when it appears that there will be a war? No. Political dynamics change in a simulation like this one. I do not view that it shows a lack of "moral strength" to cancel a treaty.Almost all treaties have procedures for their cancellation - they would not have such procedures in them if it was not necessary at times.

However, what if an Alliance gave notification of the cancellation of a MDP pact, but it had a one-week or one-month period between the notification of the cancellation and the actual cancellation, and during that one week or one month a war occurred involving the other party and a third Alliance? To me - and again I speak for myself - the honorable position is to fully support the other party. Regardless of current conflicts or disagreements, the past leaders of both Alliances entered into a pact with a time period between notification of cancellation and actual notification. That is a binding commitment that has to be honored.

So it is how we treat our treaty partners that is important. Anticipating or guessing what someone might or might not do is very difficult.It is how the leaders of an Alliance react when their current treaties are invoked.

Of course, it is my view that conflicts that might lead to war can often be resolved by negotiation, the payment of compensation, apologies, the consumption of a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster and maybe a visit to the relaxation studios on Planet Eroticon Six (for those who are over the age of 21 and do not have pacemakers.)

It's responses like this that make me dislike what CN has become. The belief that you can just be a !@#$%^& to everyone because you're on the Internet is a ridiculous concept. Honestly, it reminds me of /b/, as they are the way they are because they are Anonymous.

Just because you're playing a game does not mean you have to throw away your personality or the values of right and wrong. You can still fight and do political stuff with honor. Thank you, pezstar, I enjoyed your post.

I never said "you can just be a !@#$%^& to everyone because you're on the Internet". I said that the moral highground annoys me. People who think they're better than I am just because they make different choices, or better because they're in a different alliance, annoy me.

That said, if you don't like what CN has become, why do you keep coming back to it?

What does that have to do with anything?

Edited by Lord of Destruction