Imperial Decree

Brehon

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mogar' timestamp='1349943545' post='3039912']
Isn't it crazy what happens when you're fighting a war where you know there's going to be an end and not against people that have stated they wish to see you disband? amazing what a difference there is between wars of decision and wars of survival.
[/quote]

No one wanted them to disband. We like to keep Sparta around for our amusement.

The annoying thing about this is that in the last war Sparta had such low NS I couldn't hit any of them. This war is only going to make their NS even lower.

Edited by Ch33kY

[quote name='Nintenderek' timestamp='1349933526' post='3039848']
Also, I'm highly impressed at the OPsec with this. Nobody jumped the gun. Nobody leaked. Impressive, especially considering both opposing alliances knew about this beforehand.
[/quote]

I agree, it's almost frightening. Props to both teams.

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1349933769' post='3039854']
Considering I talked with many alliances, who were not allies, Sparta was the only one that wanted to have the fun, I thank all of you for keeping this opsec on complete lockdown :) It is appreciated :)
[/quote]

You never talked to us about it Brehon. You have hurt us deeply! :lol1:

[quote name='Princess Doomee' timestamp='1349966646' post='3039976']
The bottom line is this: For the past month, NPO and Sparta have sat back and laughed their asses off repeatedly while all the asshattery was taking place in the various threads. I give them all my highest respect for being able to have FUN on Planet Bob at others expense!!!
[/quote]

I was having fun too :(

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1349963747' post='3039964']
People crying about this is your own and fault, next time doesn't make announcements promising war with 30 days of advance[b] and fill said announcement with boring speeches about how Francoism is bringing order to the chaos and others drivel like that[/b] to later announce a stupid War Game. Your alliance is just reaping what you sow in the other thread.
[/quote]

Yes indeed sir, your words echo my exact thoughts.

1) NPO and Sparta handled OPSec very well. Good work to both of you for that, especially with the 30 day lead causing almost every alliance in the game to start snooping for answers.
2) NPO and Sparta both get to have a round of war while everyone else is sitting around yapping on the OWF they get to have some fun. War without nukes is less destructive, but it's a hell of a lot more fun. There's a much bigger need to coordinate and use strategy over just hitting a nuke button nightly at a turtled nation.
3) Give 'em hell, Sparta!

[quote name='Mogar' timestamp='1349943545' post='3039912']
Isn't it crazy what happens when you're fighting a war where you know there's going to be an end and not against people that have stated they wish to see you disband? amazing what a difference there is between wars of decision and wars of survival.
[/quote]
Given that Sparta has never fought a war of survival, I think you're short a few data points on your theory.

[quote name='Qazzian' timestamp='1349963320' post='3039960']
I'm loving this, all the people crying that this is boring. Did you *really* think that we'd just obliterate all the FA work that was done and start randomly stomping around? I know some of you hoped we would to give you a reason for another shot, but seriously, did you expect that to happen?
[/quote]
Even if you had randomly stomped around, you'd have stood a better chance of hitting a wortwhile target that would actually benefit your strategic position and maybe change the world. As it is, you're eroding your military capabilities just for some practice against an opponent with whom you have no apparent grievance. It is the very chaos - and therefore risk - involved in war which provides the "fire" to create these heroes you seek, not some neutered, pro-forma jousting.

If you think this will make your alliance stronger, by all means, have at it. But I'm surprised that you're surpised people are annoyed when the set-up for this was so clearly misleading. War is not a game; a game is not war. Your "war" is a lie. There is only peace.

[quote name='Starfox101' timestamp='1349960478' post='3039954']
You chose a real spry candidate I see. Sparta, who just fought 20 people a couple months ago?

Well, I personally don't really care because I didn't expect too much, but you kinda made yourself look like a fool. One month announcement precluding non-nuclear war games? This one will probably be chalked up as a historical blunder.

Have fun, though. Good to see Sparta picking up more experience.
[/quote]

Statistically speaking Sparta only really fought 1 alliance.
Sparta and NPO both fought so they should have an even enough time.

To say otherwise would be to consider Sparta as complete trash.

[quote name='Jonathan Brookbank' timestamp='1349936222' post='3039880']
Oh, hey.

I didn't even know you were still around.

Come swing by #thecombine sometime and hang out.

EDIT: Also, I thought the purpose was to test out this new system that NPO has...that could have just as easily been accomplished with an ally.
[/quote]

Well yeah, that's true. But it also was entertaining to see people bawwing about what was happening and who it would be. :awesome:

[quote name='Prodigal Moon' timestamp='1349971100' post='3040010']
Even if you had randomly stomped around, you'd have stood a better chance of hitting a wortwhile target that would actually benefit your strategic position and maybe change the world. As it is, you're eroding your military capabilities just for some practice against an opponent with whom you have no apparent grievance. It is the very chaos - and therefore risk - involved in war which provides the "fire" to create these heroes you seek, not some neutered, pro-forma jousting.

If you think this will make your alliance stronger, by all means, have at it. But I'm surprised that you're surpised people are annoyed when the set-up for this was so clearly misleading. War is not a game; a game is not war. Your "war" is a lie. There is only peace.
[/quote]

There are many flaws in your arguments, but I'll take the time to point out two fatal ones.

Firstly: you speaks of only the costs and not the benefits of war. Yes, we erode our military capability somewhat by engaging in this limited practice conflict, but we gain something. If people who this is some errant exercise or whim of the Emperor sat back and thought for a minute, they would ask themselves, "What does Pacifica gain from this?" And if you can answer that question for yourself, perhaps you'll gain something from it.

Secondly: you and many others seem to believe that we are, indeed, "surprised" that some people are displeased with this. Trust me when I say that no one is surprised. We look on with great interest at people's reactions to all of this. Although life in a state of nature between nations may be nasty, brutish and short, as was so artfully put so long ago, war between alliances, is nastier, more brutish, and far longer. Pacifica endeavors to take the long view of war, and exercise, though not a far, helps in that.

I am going to say it again - We got to test our new system. I got to watch who could keep their mouths shut and who couldn't. I got to see which alliances would run around like chicken little. I got to see who talked one thing about how they wanted to work with Pacifica only to watch them run around in back doors talking about how evil we were for being aggressive pointing at this war game as the rationale for their comments. On top of all of that, both Sparta and NPO get to have some fun. Oh my how terrible we are.

If 1 week of damage of a non nuclear war scares your or somehow makes you tactically inferior... well then you aren't worth your salt at all to come around here and run mouths. Simple fact is, you play checkers, I play chess.

Aren't entertained... don't watch the show.

Edited by Brehon

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1349975414' post='3040035']
[/quote]

Then stop broadcasting it to our faces for a month. Point being, if you and Sparta wanted to have a little skirmish, then by all means have your fun. But don't spend a month propagandizing some grand revolution and 'bringing Order to Chaos' simply to fall flat on that notion. Cause guess what, while you two are having fun flinging sand at each other like little school girls, the rest of the world continues to revolve as it did and you have ultimately changed nothing. You only brought this criticism amongst yourselves by showboating about while having absolutely zero substance to back it up.

Edited by MitchellBade

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1349975414' post='3040035']
[/quote]

Don't want to hear critics? Do a better show next time or you can do the same show, but doesn't advertise it as a blockbuster when it's just a mediocre TV film.

[quote name='MitchellBade' timestamp='1349975749' post='3040037']
Then stop broadcasting it to our faces for a month. Point being, if you and Sparta wanted to have a little skirmish, then by all means have your fun. But don't spend a month propagandizing some grand revolution and 'bringing Order to Chaos' simply to fall flat on that notion. Cause guess what, while you two are having fun flinging sand at each other like little school girls, the rest of the world continues to revolve as it did and you have ultimately changed nothing. You only brought this criticism amongst yourselves by showboating about while having absolutely zero substance to back it up.
[/quote]

Again, you fail to read what the Emperor said. Part of the purpose of this [i]was[/i] to broadcast it for a month, and then observe many things, such as who whines about it the most. *chuckles heartily*

[quote name='Jonathan Brookbank' timestamp='1349947555' post='3039920']
My, my, someone's sensitive. Hit a little too close to the truth there for you?
[/quote]

What an insightful and original zing. As long as we're on this level I guess I can take solace in the fact that I'm not Jonathan Brookbank.

[quote name='D34th' timestamp='1349975856' post='3040039']
Don't want to hear critics? Do a better show next time or you can do the same show, but doesn't advertise it as a blockbuster when it's just a mediocre TV film.
[/quote]

I advertised it as the NPO will go to war in 30 days. That is exactly what happened. The quality in your eyes of the show doesn't interest me :) I can tell you there are 500 people who are entertained, enjoying themselves and about a dozen crying. Success.

[quote name='Brehon' timestamp='1349976129' post='3040042']
I advertised it as the NPO will go to war in 30 days. That is exactly what happened. The quality in your eyes of the show doesn't interest me :) I can tell you there are 500 people who are entertained, enjoying themselves and about a dozen crying. Success.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's like I advertise a huge university party with lots of free drinks and good music, but when people arrive in my party I say: There are only non alcoholic drink people, but there are all Justin Bieber songs to you listen, enjoy! People will rightfully say that my part is a joke, like I say that what you call war is just a farce and as you said the only people entertained with it are you and Sparta, there are always those nerds who are happy in be in a party not matter how boring the party is, they just like to fell included.

[quote name='Cortath' timestamp='1349973095' post='3040023']
Firstly: you speaks of only the costs and not the benefits of war. Yes, we erode our military capability somewhat by engaging in this limited practice conflict, but we gain something. If people who this is some errant exercise or whim of the Emperor sat back and thought for a minute, they would ask themselves, "What does Pacifica gain from this?" And if you can answer that question for yourself, perhaps you'll gain something from it.[/quote]
I thought I mentioned pretty clearly that there could have been benefits to war, but hitting an essential arbitrary target for practice is pretty low in terms of benefit to opportunity cost. If this really works out for you, then kudos on your superior planning. However...

[quote]Secondly: you and many others seem to believe that we are, indeed, "surprised" that some people are displeased with this. Trust me when I say that no one is surprised. We look on with great interest at people's reactions to all of this. Although life in a state of nature between nations may be nasty, brutish and short, as was so artfully put so long ago, war between alliances, is nastier, more brutish, and far longer. Pacifica endeavors to take the long view of war, and exercise, though not a far, helps in that.
[/quote]
When someone asks "*really*"? and "seriously?" I think it's fair to interpret that as an expression of disbelief and/or surprise. The point I was really getting at was that obviously this whole thing was intentionally misleading, and so it's to be expected that a lot of observers who were hoping for drama are disappointed. Why even try to argue them out of that?

Edited by Prodigal Moon