• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1335934998' post='2962114']
You could always rejoin :P or Kzopp.
[/quote]

Somewhere along the line of

A. Committing an admittedly incredibly poorly thought out FA faux pas in which I simultaneously insulted the entirety of the forces arrayed against The Legion as extortionist thugs and blasted the rest of my own government for being cowards for accepting the terms

B. Generally being critical of the vast majority of their policy decisions over the subsequent two years, whether it be leaving Poseidon, signing NPO, signing NpO, being peace mode warriors, etc.

C. Committing a high profile insurgency against them as a member of the NSO/Tetris - Legion conflict

I think I might just have soured public opinion towards myself within Legion a little bit. Or at least amongst the people who take this [ooc]game[/ooc] far to seriously and mistake IC disagreements with OOC loathing. Though every once in a while I get PMs saying hey from old Legionnaires who actually have the sense to not make that mistake, which gives me heart.

But all of that being said, go merge your alliance into them and give it a whirl Roq! Seriously though, while I meant it sarcastically when I first thought of it, you actually probably could do a lot of good. Food for thought.

I might the issue is, I don't really mesh into established structures because I have a tendency to want to do things my way and try to take over. Kind of clashes with pre-established dynamics unless people seriously want a change. The only situation I can imagine where a smaller alliance that merged in was offered the top positions as part of the deal was the Elysium merge into TPF, with mhawk taking over for Slayer. I can't see anything like that happening. Usually an alliance that doesn't do a whole lot is like that for a reason, as in they won't really like someone turning everything upside down. Though kind of went through this kind of experiment in a different fashion, and let's just say it didn't pan out because I'm a little more liberal in terms of methods. Also Natan, can't forget Natan and I really hate him, but I'm not done yet despite him thinking that would do it.

Though everything you cited as being poor in terms of FA moves is spot on.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1335992631' post='2962402']
I might the issue is, I don't really mesh into established structures because I have a tendency to want to do things my way and try to take over. Kind of clashes with pre-established dynamics unless people seriously want a change. The only situation I can imagine where a smaller alliance that merged in was offered the top positions as part of the deal was the Elysium merge into TPF, with mhawk taking over for Slayer. I can't see anything like that happening. Usually an alliance that doesn't do a whole lot is like that for a reason, as in they won't really like someone turning everything upside down. Though kind of went through this kind of experiment in a different fashion, and let's just say it didn't pan out because I'm a little more liberal in terms of methods. Also Natan, can't forget Natan and I really hate him, but I'm not done yet despite him thinking that would do it.

Though everything you cited as being poor in terms of FA moves is spot on.
[/quote]

Please do it, that is, try LF's plan of taking over Legion. It would be awesome.

Like I said, I don't have any issues with the premise and the idea is solid. I just don't think it would be a very successful endeavor unless it was facilitated like Elysium-TPF thing. I can't see them being interested, to be honest, but I don't really see it working out just by "merging in."

I mean, the reason I ended up making my own alliance is because I didn't really see any opportunity to do things in the manner I preferred in another alliance. There's also the issue of me not being a very popular guy in general, so yeah.

Edited by Roquentin

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1335908593' post='2961774']
Meh, Leet Guy is right. Though, as a fairly large alliance Legion could be making some more interesting FA moves.

Apparently, according to the wiki, it was only an ODoAP at this point. Regardless, Legion only has NpO, Invicta, and TLR as partners, which does not allow for a lot power projection. It'd be interesting to see the largest alliance on Purple take a more proactive role on the world stage.
[/quote]

I had a very similar attitude before my tenure there. But I learned something: not everything is as it seems from the outside. I found out that the Legion runs the way it does because that's the way it works for them. They shun the constant maneuvering of power politics and focus on solid relationships. Just ask NpO or TLR or Invicta. They don't even show up on the OWF because they can't be bothered to engage in the PR smear campaigns thrown back and forth between the various camps.

That they don't do anything interesting in your eyes is not their problem. They have a very active internal culture.

[quote name='Omniscient1' timestamp='1335908848' post='2961779']
I doubt they have the capital or the intelligence to do that. I may be wrong, but I haven't ever seen Legion do anything productive even when they've been given chances.
[/quote]

Uh, surely you haven't already forgotten the 5 on 1 battle that happened just this year? Much like GOONs, they felt a need to establish a policy, came out from their cave, busted some skulls, and promptly returned from whence they came. They're certainly not an elite wrecking ball, but they throw down when it's time and not everybody can say that.

The Legion, like a lot of alliances, especially large ones, has its share of logistical difficulties. But while it may not look like it from the outside, the new Legion is not the same as the old Legion. I found them to be competent and effective.

I too, would prefer to see a more proactive approach, but they do what works for them.

[quote name='bjalbert' timestamp='1335918562' post='2961911']
Sad to see the end of our formal relations. Best of luck to NADC in the future o/
[/quote]

Hey, glad to see you made into .gov, man, it's well deserved.

Edited by Kzoppistan

[quote name='Kzoppistan' timestamp='1336060265' post='2962883']
I had a very similar attitude before my tenure there. But I learned something: not everything is as it seems from the outside. I found out that the Legion runs the way it does because that's the way it works for them. They shun the constant maneuvering of power politics and focus on solid relationships. Just ask NpO or TLR or Invicta. They don't even show up on the OWF because they can't be bothered to engage in the PR smear campaigns thrown back and forth between the various camps.

That they don't do anything interesting in your eyes is not their problem. They have a very active internal culture.

[/quote]

I have seen first hand that this is true, their internal culture is very distinct and frankly awesome. And yes they have worked towards building very solid relationships with TLRep and Invicta (I can't say anything about NpO cause I don't know, but I've seen it with TLRep and us) on the government and membership levels. This is why I personally would consider Legion one of our closest allies. A lot of alliances could learn from them about building relationships, but I won't point them out ;)

[quote name='Kzoppistan' timestamp='1336060265' post='2962883']

[/quote]

It is if people think them of in a bad light as a result. I mean, they could not care about that either.

I could excuse their incompetence if it wasn't combined with utter classlessness. Before i last visited legion I felt that they got a hard time. I left fully convinced that they deserved every single bad word that was said about them. NADC congratulations, loosing a treaty with legion is like getting a tumour cut out. Legion are good for absolutely nothing but self defeatism.

[quote name='MCRABT' timestamp='1336518967' post='2965303']
I could excuse their incompetence if it wasn't combined with utter classlessness. Before i last visited legion I felt that they got a hard time. I left fully convinced that they deserved every single bad word that was said about them. NADC congratulations, loosing a treaty with legion is like getting a tumour cut out. Legion are good for absolutely nothing but self defeatism.
[/quote]

Really? Must have been bad.

I've lurked on Legion's forums some and I noticed everyone likes ponies. Legion-UE treaty, anyone?

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1336520829' post='2965314']
I've lurked on Legion's forums some and I noticed everyone likes ponies.
[/quote]

Please. My force field is weakening trying to keep it away.

[quote name='Lusitan' timestamp='1336520964' post='2965316']
This comes only 3 years late.
[/quote]
Good times, Lusitan, 3 years ago. I'm sure Legend shares the same sentiment. Maybe you two could "talk" again for old times' sake?

[quote name='Roquentin' timestamp='1336520829' post='2965314']
I've lurked on Legion's forums some and I noticed everyone likes ponies. Legion-UE treaty, anyone?
[/quote]

I'd rather be known for torturing small mammals for sport than be known as pony-enthusiasts. We keep trying to crush the movement but it keeps bouncing back.

[quote name='Koniac' timestamp='1336524238' post='2965333']
Good times, Lusitan, 3 years ago. I'm sure Legend shares the same sentiment. Maybe you two could "talk" again for old times' sake?
[/quote]
i want to be present for the "talk"

Edited by New Carnoly

I find it more interesting that gov titles are not listed by Legion's signatures. It could be laziness, or they could have given up on that silly thing called chain of command, or leadership, or [s]competency[/s].

Edit: My bad, that last one was gone for a long time.