Out of Game War Time Recruiting

supercoolyellow

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1322713701' post='2857618']
EDIT: Mistook this for an IC forum. Turning off the jerk switch.
[/quote]

I love how that one line sums up your entire personality, Ardus. ;)

But yeah, I agree with the notion that we should work on offsite recruiting. Even if only a small handful stay, it will help the population a lot. The population is, slowly, dwindling, and there isn't much that can be done to change that other than direct intervention by Admin changing the game significantly or the players recruiting more than they do.

Just please, nobody go looking on 4chan for new members. >_>

[quote name='AzureShadow' timestamp='1322759249' post='2858242']
But yeah, I agree with the notion that we should work on offsite recruiting. [b]Even if only a small handful stay, it will help the population a lot.[/b] The population is, slowly, dwindling, and there isn't much that can be done to change that other than direct intervention by Admin changing the game significantly or the players recruiting more than they do.[/quote]

Older/newer nations being beaten into bill-lock and kept there in long wars kills the population as well through deletion and never come back due to "x" amount of time on nation lost never to be seen again. But there is a stigma against those who surrender when totally defeated and a bravado for those who push nations into deletion.

So they're left with only few options; 1)Surrender and become in a majority of cases shunned by community 2)Sit it out in bill-lock for duration of war 3)Delete.

Maybe I'm looking into this too deep, but deletion rates increase due to longish wars might just be a coincidence.

[quote name='supercoolyellow' timestamp='1322760710' post='2858259']
Also, NEW could use this for recruiting from their home world as well.
[/quote]
Rolling off of this idea, we could used more themed alliances. More alliances like Ragnarok, Asgaard, Mostly Harmless Alliance, NEW, etc. Alliances with a specific theme can appeal to other lovers of the said theme. As most of us agreed in a past thread, people stick around for the community. After finally working up to tech buyer, getting wonders, waiting around for things to happen gets really, really, boring. MHA can appeal to Hitchhiker fans, Asgaard and Ragnarok to Norse mythology enthusiasts/ fans, you get the picture.

If alliances had active, pointed communities (I'm not insulting anyone's alliance) then people would want to stick around once their nation grows boring.

[quote name='OrangeBeard' timestamp='1322790297' post='2858753']
Rolling off of this idea, we could used more themed alliances. More alliances like Ragnarok, Asgaard, Mostly Harmless Alliance, NEW, etc. Alliances with a specific theme can appeal to other lovers of the said theme. As most of us agreed in a past thread, people stick around for the community. After finally working up to tech buyer, getting wonders, waiting around for things to happen gets really, really, boring. MHA can appeal to Hitchhiker fans, Asgaard and Ragnarok to Norse mythology enthusiasts/ fans, you get the picture.

If alliances had active, pointed communities (I'm not insulting anyone's alliance) then people would want to stick around once their nation grows boring.
[/quote]

While I agree 100% with the sentiment, some of the alliances you mention are not particularly shining examples of having a unique culture/theme. That and you're in NATO.

Edited by potato

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1322825748' post='2859309']
While I agree 100% with the sentiment, some of the alliances you mention are not particularly shining examples of having a unique culture/theme. That and you're in NATO.
[/quote]
I get the irony of me being the one to post it.

The alliances I gave are just examples, Ragnarok may not scream Norse like its name may indicate, and a language based alliance like NEW is certainly more pointed in theme, but they all have one none-the-less. Alliances such as NPO, VE, NATO, and many others have no "fan base" if you will from which to draw in members. I love the hell out of NATO - they were the first alliance to message me with this new nation and I went with it. But just because I like to buy the generic brand doesn't mean the other guys won't want to shop at Nike for something they're really into, which I suppose is the bottom line.

Edited by OrangeBeard

[quote name='Geerland' timestamp='1322750047' post='2858177']
Link the game into a FB app? Ie allow people to sign up with their FB accounts.
[/quote]
yeah i like this idea
or atleast put an advert in there under the sponsored bit(not sure what the costs would be????)
lol out of 500 million people on facebook some will at least notice it and play (1/14 of the worlds population is on facebook if im right)

I have to agree with HoTs post before about it being on Alliance Leaders heads to retain new members by making them feel welcome. I joined around the time of the DH-NPO war, and was actually made to feel welcome and part of the community within FEAR, rather then being subjected to the "new players are worthless scum" I see floating from some older people.
That being said, I was given a job to do (maintaining a sheet of aid slots and bugging people who weren't buying/selling tech) and it actually made me feel like I was helping out in some way and gave me incentive to get to know my alliance mates.
I know i'm never going to hit the +135kns range, but frankly I don't care, I enjoy being in my alliance and that's what keeps me.

That being said, if anyone starts spamming CN on 4chan I will hunt you down and make you listen to bad teen popmusic until I break your brain :wub:

maybe someone [u]should[/u] actually put an [u]advert on facebook[/u], might be a good recruiting tool
Links:
http://www.facebook.com/ads/create/ where you create you advert
http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=195623423828629&ref=bc an FAQ into the Advert and everything within that aspect

also facebook says you will be marketing to a population of 800 million people. even just 0.001% of that is 80,000 people
thats a lot of newblood potential to a game with current nations ingame at above 15k. might be a good place to try.

Community is where the game lies. "Relevance" is a bit of a weak argument. If a new player is swept up into a good alliance and taught right, then they'll be told to forget about the likes of Hime Themis who has been donating and getting aid since forever. To be relevant, you need to have a nation. To fight opponents, you need to be about 10k NS for it to start being fun. Tech dealing gets you there in a few weeks, not 2-3 years.

Honestly, if we're teaching players that they're irrelevant until they're 100k NS+, then they'll feel that way. They don't know the game, so don't draw their attention to the flaws. Tell them how to tech deal, introduce them to the community and let them have fun. Involve them in an alliance. There's half the work already. There's literally [b]no[/b] argument against a good community.

[quote name='Draztikus' timestamp='1322768817' post='2858388']
yeah because there isn't enough ooc/ic !@#$ already
[/quote]

So many thousand times this.

Nowadays people !@#$%* and moan if they're told to labor camp swap because they think it costs more.

[quote name='Joe Kremlin' timestamp='1322708650' post='2857518']
I think those sources have been pretty much tapped dry.
[/quote]

We can draw 300 or so new people who will leave when the war is over. And we will.