Who Would You Treaty?

[quote name='Mergerberger II' timestamp='1304904414' post='2708806']
Honoring all treaties gets you hated by all of CN.

Honoring no treaties gets you hated by all of CN.

Honoring some treaties gets you hated by all of CN.

What's a man to do?
[/quote]
If only there was a way to not sign a million stupid treaties and maintain a cohesive foreign policy. We can always dream, I suppose.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1304911747' post='2708885']
If only there was a way to not sign a million stupid treaties and maintain a cohesive foreign policy. We can always dream, I suppose.
[/quote]
I think we can teach a lessor or two on that if you want.

[quote name='HHAYD' timestamp='1304903658' post='2708799']
Real emperors would wait for another major war and then pull the famous "Honor all treaties" move. What could the worst happen? :awesome:
[/quote]

Or you could bail on your side within a day or two of fighting?

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1304911747' post='2708885']
[/quote]

Mr. Frontier,

As someone who does not full understand the interaction between alliances (Formal FA) How does a cohesive foreign policy work? Or for that matter what does one look like? Specifically maybe of an example of an alliance an alliance that has one and how they are different from others.

Edited by Muddog

[quote name='Muddog' timestamp='1304930720' post='2708988']
Mr. Frontier,

As someone who does not full understand the interaction between alliances (Formal FA) How does a cohesive foreign policy work? Or for that matter what does one look like? Specifically maybe of an example of an alliance an alliance that has one and how they are different from others.
[/quote]
You should not be leading an alliance.

[quote name='Letum' timestamp='1304705872' post='2707584']
I've always held a certain fondness for going treaty-less, so none.[/quote]
^ This. I'd probably cancel treaties instead and go paperless. If you need one to defend a friend then I question how great friends the parties are. If one needs a treaty to get involved in a cause of principle then I question how committed to said principle one is.

Edited by Hyperbad

[quote name='Hyperbad' timestamp='1304972791' post='2709178']
^ This. I'd probably cancel treaties instead and go paperless. If you need one to defend a friend then I question how great friends the parties are. If one needs a treaty to get involved in a cause of principle then I question how committed to said principle one is.
[/quote]
I think the problem is that you won't really know where you stand politically until the #$%@ hits the fan. Treaties are also a deterrent during peacetime and an easy way to show the world who you support whether or not you choose allies based on principles. They may be overused but that doesn't mean they aren't practical.

Edited by Joe Kremlin

[quote name='Joe Kremlin' timestamp='1304978669' post='2709254']
I think the problem is that you won't really know where you stand politically until the #$%@ hits the fan. Treaties are also a deterrent during peacetime and an easy way to show the world who you support whether or not you choose allies based on principles. They may be overused but that doesn't mean they aren't practical.
[/quote]
I hadn't yet said treaties were impractical but a necessity of them to do either of the two things I mentioned on their own with no other considerations are weak reasons and does leave serious doubts about how genuine those feelings or positions are. I'll add that treaties aren't a necessity to have the deterrent affect. You just need to make known what your positions are publicly visible. That could be a government documents section of ones forum or a single line on the wiki. There's really no reason as to why one [i]needs[/i] treaties. I don't even see the mas convenient when they might remove options instead of presenting them. About the only thing they have going for them is they're the norm but only because everyone keeps enforcing it by conformity. They're an annoyance which distracts one from good policy or decision making and adds a concern over honoring the letter and spirit of some ultimately pointless legalese document.

Edited by Hyperbad

[quote name='potato' timestamp='1304930064' post='2708987']
Or you could bail on your side within a day or two of fighting?
[/quote]
And then run off and join the other side, like what Hasantic League and many of its members did.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1304964877' post='2709122']
You should not be leading an alliance.
[/quote]

I believe Muddog was being largely satirical there, in the fact that when it comes right down to it, very few alliances can really be said to have a narrowly cohesive foreign policy (as a reference, note that it's largely the every which way tangling of treaties that has been responsible for establishing the main powerstructures on Planet Bob). The fact that you went straight to a personal attack against him rather than to point out examples of alliances that meet your stringent ideas on foreign policy really says more about you than it does him. Would it kill you to not be a jackass?

[quote name='Lord Boris' timestamp='1305050045' post='2709675']
Would it kill you to not be a jackass?
[/quote]
It might.

For those of you truly seeking my advice as a sage of our time, OMFG would be a shining example of an alliance that won't have to panic come wartime. Pacifica also has pretty much aligned themselves completely to a specific side or sphere, notwithstanding the fact that it isn't a side or sphere likely to win any wars any time soon. If you're wondering, Deinos isn't going to be scrambling to pick a side to fight on come next war.

[quote name='Joe Kremlin' timestamp='1304978669' post='2709254']
I think the problem is that you won't really know where you stand politically until the #$%@ hits the fan.
[/quote]
That's how the present system works, except instead everyone is treatied to everyone else with stupid things like ODPs and PIATs or whatever the $%&@ it is these days. The point is that all this "we have a treaty! we're bosom friends!" is nonsense and the effect of most treaties could be established simply by a passing remark that your alliance is on amicable terms with another.

Edited by Doitzel

As Emperor of the New Pacific Order the only treaty I would be interested in would be signing a sort of archnemesis pact with some enemy alliance like MK or FAN. The terms would be such that if one party is attacked, the other party must either come to the first party's defense or join in the assault. At first glance one might expect the two alliances to always choose to attack each other, but I think what would actually happen is that more often than not the two team up in order to turn an otherwise even war into a curbstomp of some third party.

[quote name='Skippy' timestamp='1305100781' post='2710049']
NPO gives me Emperor after not even three weeks? Damn, I just retired from alliance leading :P

I'd probably sign MDoAPs with Olympus, TPF, TIO, LoSS, TFD, STA, and an ODP with NpO
[/quote]
Sorry dude, but I've recently become Emperor of Polaris after literally everyone else in the alliance died, and I'm not signing a treaty with NPO even if it's an ODP and you're the emperor :P

[quote name='Lagginator' timestamp='1305127855' post='2710137']
As Emperor of the New Pacific Order the only treaty I would be interested in would be signing a sort of archnemesis pact with some enemy alliance like MK or FAN. The terms would be such that if one party is attacked, the other party must either come to the first party's defense or join in the assault. At first glance one might expect the two alliances to always choose to attack each other, but I think what would actually happen is that more often than not the two team up in order to turn an otherwise even war into a curbstomp of some third party.
[/quote]
Now that is something I'd like to see. The thought of MK or FAN ever fighting alongside NPO would probably herald the end of Planet Bob, though.

[quote name='Cornelius' timestamp='1305135501' post='2710172']
Now that is something I'd like to see. The thought of MK or FAN ever fighting alongside NPO would probably herald the end of Planet Bob, though.
[/quote]
NPO, fighting with MK and FAN? I think my mind would snap. Other folks around here would need a straitjacket and a padded room for their own safety.

Edited by HHAYD

[quote name='Draztikus' timestamp='1305129415' post='2710145']
Sorry dude, but I've recently become Emperor of Polaris after literally everyone else in the alliance died, and I'm not signing a treaty with NPO even if it's an ODP and you're the emperor :P
[/quote]
Not even if I'm the Emperor? I'm offended! -_-

[quote name='New Frontier' timestamp='1304705472' post='2707579']Your alliance leader is dead... Any number of treaties, and you are allowed to include former allies as well. [/quote]

These words like "leader" and "treaties" confuse us, we're a simple people. Maybe you could draw a picture.