iPBfree

sammykhalifa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who provided a free service decided to stop doing so? Oh no....the horror.

I'll bet you that somewhere in the ToS that everyone agreed to was a line about how the service could go down at any time or be switched to a pay service at the operator's discretion.

This makes comments such as....

[quote name='Bilrow' date='16 July 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1279292626' post='2374488']Just proves to show that nothing is life is truly free.[/quote]

....especially asinine. It [i]was[/i] free. Now it's gone.

If people weren't backing up files or believed that somehow the gravy train was going to go on forever, then there's not much that can be done to fix that particular mindset.

Thanks everyone for the concern and the information. Mostly I wasn't really sure how widely reported the problem was and wanted to get the information out there. It's an inconvenience, sure, but there are far worse things I suppose. [Stuff] happens.

If ratonbox or anyone else needs to get hold of Iunctus for business or just to talk about nothin', please feel free to contact me ingame (forums up or not). I can get into the game more than I can browse the forum anyhow (stupid work!), so I'm more likely to see you faster.

I think the thing I'll miss most from our forums is the button on the bottom of every thread you push to "Add Relpy." We decided to keep it that way, and it became a running joke of sorts.

R.I.P. Relpy.

Edited by sammykhalifa

[quote name='Believland' date='16 July 2010 - 12:22 PM' timestamp='1279293715' post='2374504']
[b]Danica Patrick is a fox, dude. [/b]

I don't visit iPBfree so I wouldn't know
[/quote]

Um what? Yeah she's like a 6 on a 10 scale. And the childish temper doesn't win her any points.

I digress. Sorry for the luck on the site. Invisionfree has always worked best for places I've visited.

Edited by lmcfalcon12

[quote name='lmcfalcon12' date='16 July 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1279321758' post='2375144']
Um what? Yeah she's like a 6 on a 10 scale. And the childish temper doesn't win her any points.
[/quote]

Maybe if you judge her during the Espy awards, when she looked like a taller snooki. I'd rate her around an 8 on a normal day.

Edited by Believland

[quote name='Believland' date='16 July 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1279325059' post='2375218']
Maybe if you judge her during the Espy awards, when she looked like a taller snooki. I'd rate her around an 8
[/quote]
way to derail :P

It appears all of my bookmarks are unaffected so carry on :P

[quote name='Believland' date='16 July 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1279325059' post='2375218']
Maybe if you judge her during the Espy awards, when she looked like a taller snooki. I'd rate her around an 8
[/quote]

Eh. I'll give you that. Snooki's pretty hot...not gonna lie.

[quote name='Fernando12' date='16 July 2010 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1279324940' post='2375215']
Imagine if this were in the middle of a war?

Coordination would suck.

Someone start a war :P

We use Free Forums. If this happened I'd poop a literal brick cuz the work/time to get it running and organized is time consuming as hell.
[/quote]

wat

it takes 15 minutes max to get a SMF forum up and running

[quote name='bros2' date='16 July 2010 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1279309081' post='2374872']
SMF is better :D
[/quote]

nah, phpbb3 is obviously best :P The majority of online communities agree :) , according to [url]]http://www.backendbattles.com/[/url] on a survey of the top 10k sites as ranked by Alexa, vBulletin is top, but phpBB is used on more top 10k sites (28 of them) then IPB (18) and SMF (6) combined.

I suppose that it depends on what you know and how you use it, some people claim phpBB can be a little more complicated on the ACP aspect, but at the end of the day it all comes down to what you know best and what your comfortable with. I've been working with phpBB since 2004 (phpBB2 back then), its what I know and I'm confident enough with it to say that Sanitariums forums (proudly powered by phpBB3) is as powerful and secure if not more then those of other alliances using more fancy options like IPB.

[quote name='bros2' date='16 July 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1279335676' post='2375411']
wat

[/quote]

Maybe to actually install the software, but setting up the forums, configuring permissions, and doing the minor take a pretty decent investment of time. Its not hard to set up a forum, but it takes time to set it up so that it will seamlessly work how you want it to, and that time pays off with ease of use in the future.

Edited by memoryproblems

[quote name='Bob Ilyani' date='17 July 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1279343713' post='2375524']
That's pretty low from ipb. Good luck to all alliances finding a new host, hopefully a more reliable one too.
[/quote]

From what i have seen so far, it appears that ipbfree got ninja'ed and did not have much of a say in the heads-up time or lack thereof provided to their userbase. Most probably some lawyers somewhere are bragging about this to their rolodexes.

[quote name='King Death II' date='17 July 2010 - 02:10 AM' timestamp='1279350620' post='2375625']
Honestly the best fix is to find a free server host site, download [s]SMF[/s] phpBB3 and set up an [s]SMF[/s] phpBB3 for the alliance. Chances of the server host company if they have a paid option going poof is very slim.
[/quote]

fixed :ehm:

As for free hosts, you tend to get what you pay for, well maybe a little more, but its important to always keep in mind that [b][i]there is no such thing as a free lunch[/i][/b] and going for a free host can be dangerous if your not willing to do your research. More often then not, free hosts tend to be unstable and many go under with about as much warning as IPBfree did, and the others, you generally get hosting which is slow and riddled with downtime and little to no support should you experience issues. I don't want to seem like a total downer, There are decent free hosts out there, but they are few and far between, and if you plan to rely on them, you should do immense amounts of research in finding one. If I recall, Starcraftmazter (he leads the Dark Fist alliance) runs a hosting company that does offer free hosting, I'm not sure of the specifics on its operation, but I am sure you can find more information on its website ([url]http://www.liway.com[/url]) or by finding him on IRC. Generally, if you are serious about your alliance, paid hosting is an investment that will pay off over and over again over time, and while I disagree with his assertion that SMF > phpBB3, bros has an excellent guide to alliance forums [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=30267]here[/url].

Edited by memoryproblems

[quote name='memoryproblems' date='17 July 2010 - 06:17 AM' timestamp='1279361836' post='2375691']
fixed :ehm:

As for free hosts, you tend to get what you pay for, well maybe a little more, but its important to always keep in mind that [b][i]there is no such thing as a free lunch[/i][/b] and going for a free host can be dangerous if your not willing to do your research. More often then not, free hosts tend to be unstable and many go under with about as much warning as IPBfree did, and the others, you generally get hosting which is slow and riddled with downtime and little to no support should you experience issues. I don't want to seem like a total downer, There are decent free hosts out there, but they are few and far between, and if you plan to rely on them, you should do immense amounts of research in finding one. If I recall, Starcraftmazter (he leads the Dark Fist alliance) runs a hosting company that does offer free hosting, I'm not sure of the specifics on its operation, but I am sure you can find more information on its website ([url]http://www.liway.com[/url]) or by finding him on IRC. Generally, if you are serious about your alliance, paid hosting is an investment that will pay off over and over again over time, and while I disagree with his assertion that SMF > phpBB3, bros has an excellent guide to alliance forums [url="http://forums.cybernations.net/index.php?showtopic=30267]here[/url].
[/quote]

SMF 2 is awesome :D

[quote name='bros2' date='17 July 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1279398043' post='2376180']
SMF 2 is awesome :D
[/quote]
So is jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, but not everyone wants to do it :P

And SCM has a web hosting company? Dear lord the horror that he must host on those servers lol

[quote name='bros2' date='16 July 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1279335676' post='2375411']
wat

[/quote]

Meant creating forums, subforums, stickies/rules, uploading resource images, different groups for each type of members, etc....all that is more than 15 minutes. But yeah, getting up to where you have it up is simple.