The Truth About Warbuck?

Captain Enema

He's still in ADI.

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=257983

He stepped down a while ago, and his successor just stepped down while the alliance is being rogued by a group of four ex TDO members. I can see where some one telling you what they had heard, would leave you with the impression that Warbuck deserting ADI though.

As per official ADI communication, Warbuck has left the ADI.

[quote name='shadeslayers09' date='10 April 2010 - 09:11 AM' timestamp='1270870873' post='2255085']
---:<---
There was also another incident, and this one was a little less known to the membership. Our once-great leader and founder of ADI, John Warbuck, had apparently made plans to force an alliance-wide attack on TDO, a neutral alliance that gave many of us a home and the skills and help we needed to grow our nations. Most government members of ADI were unaware that said plans existed, which can most likely be traced back to blind following of a great leader. Nonetheless, those plans shocked us and we never would have agreed to it. The Government and general membership of the Aqua Defense Initiative therefore want to offer the people of The Democratic Order an apology that these plans were ever made. John Warbuck has left the Aqua Defense Initiative and decided to leave Planet Bob for good as well. Members of Semper Tyrannis are therefore free to continue attacks on his nation until it self-deletes if they choose to do so.
---:<---
[/quote]

[quote name='Tidy Bowl Man' date='13 April 2010 - 02:59 AM' timestamp='1271141938' post='2258462']
So what is happening with the Aqua Defense Iniative? My sources seem to tell me that [b]Warbuck fled his alliance, the alliance he created[/b], and left them in the middle of some sort of war.

Is this true?
[/quote]

For the record, one which I'd like to clarify, Warbuck did not create ADI on his own. Nor would it have gotten to its peak through his efforts alone. While several people were involved in the initial discussions which resulted in the departure from TDO and the creation of ADI, there are 4 people who collectively made it possible, and without any one of them would have resulted in things not coming together. Those 4 people were Warbuck, JDorian, Yuurei, and Elspeth.

In his own personal rise to power, Warbuck systematically discredited those who made contributions, and later blateantly took credit for the actions of others, so that he could build a cult of personality around himself, ultimately resulting in acheiving blind devotion and absolute control over the alliance.

As one of the primary founders of ADI, I named the alliance, created much of the original high gov structure, wrote the DoE, and made most of the initial FA connections. JDorian did pretty much all the work on the forums. Though Elspeth wrote the original charter and other early documents, Warbuck never gave her any of the credit, and didn't even acknowledge her as a founder, even though she was there from the beginning of the creation discussions. Warbuck's primary contribution was a knack for recruiting. In fact Elspeth was one of the first people Warbuck forced out of ADI.

So in simplest form, Warbuck brought the people, JDorian brought the forums, I brough the experience and connections, and Eslpeth did the writing.

A few months down the road, and Warbuck is telling everyone that he did everything on his own, and that he is the greatest leader in CN history, and that since he knows best that everyone should just follow whatever he says. Stunningly, people actually did follow him, despite any and all warnings I tried my best to give.

Perhaps it is partly my fault in that I tried to keep my warning behind the closed doors of the upper gov in trying not to divide the membership. When the incident between ADI and Ragnarok first occurred, I attempted to assume temporary control of the alliance in order to deal with the massive Foreign Affairs problem that Warbuck's unauthorized OWF posting had created. I was already in contact with the leadership of Ragnarok and Athens, who were willing to resolve the issue if ADI was willing to show that Warbuck was not speaking for the alliance and had acted on his own without government approval, which indeed was the case. Just the act of giving me temporary authority would have gone a long way toward preventing the collective hatred that ADI has received from much of CN since.

Warbuck claimed that he already had absolute authority to act as he saw fit under the war powers act. This was false as ADI had not declared war, and thus was not in a state of war. While the high gov had voted to allow for the issuing of a DoW, it was never issued, thus Warbuck was using authority he did not have. Warbuck used this false authority for several weeks in order to increase his personal control over the alliance.

Meanwhile my request for temporary authority to disarm the external situation, was regarded as a coup attempt, and resulted in a diminishing of my influence within the gov, and actually furhter rallied the rest of the gov around Warbuck.

Later, when Warbuck sought to change the charter to give himself absolute power over all aspects of the alliance, I again tried to warn of the dangers of making that kind of change. I was again ignored. I again kept this behind closed doors. I should have been more publicly vocal about what this would have really meant, but at that time my own influence had largely been stripped away already.

Warbuck's first act as absolute ruler was to remove me from my post as Lord of Foreign Affairs, thus removing any real influence I had left. In order to make himself seem more noble, he granted me a meaningless title as #2 of the alliance, but with no specific powers or duties, except to be there in case something happened to him.

While hostility between ADI and the Ragnarok sid eof the web increased, I called in a lot of favors to try to keep ADI from getting rolled while I hoped for a chance for a change to occur.

The last act of treachery I could endure came when Warbuck told me in IRC query that he had some RL issues he had to deal with and would not be able to continue to lead ADI. By charter, should he become unable to lead the alliance, power should have fallen to me, the #2 (as it was my only remaining duty and only remaining hope for the alliance I had co-founded). Howver, being the master manipulator, Warbuck had also included a contrary phrase into his new charter saying that the leader chooses his successor, and thus he named non-founder Lord Tri to take his place.

I find it interesting that although, he claimed to be stepping down due to an inability to devote the time to CN, he was still always on IRC just as before.

My leaving ADI was not due to Warbuck's naming of Tri as his successor, as I had already been working on creating a new alliance for about a month prior, but rather Warbuck's violation of his own charter was indeed the final knife in the back that forced me to leave earlier than I was intending.

Other facts I'd like to point out:

[b]The logs were NOT doctored.[/b]

[b]There was no secret plot to attack TDO.[/b]

I'm sure there is something in this post that will anger people on both sides of the issues, but this is an honest look at some of ADI's history from someone that was there through the rise of Warbuck and the fall of ADI.

This is the truth as I saw it. I cared and still do care about what happens to ADI. It was an alliance that I had a large part in creating, and for that alone I will continue to care. Watching and knowing that Warbuck was destroying that alliance, and that most of the alliance willingly allowed him to continue to do so eventually became more than I could bear to watch. I truly hope that ADI is able to prosper once again now that the last vestiges of Warbuck's authority are finally being removed, and I hope this post brings to light that while naive, the membership of ADI was largely duped into following Warbuck down his path of reckless stupidity.

ADI was never meant to be Warbuck's personal alliance, and it should not be looked at as such.

Warbuck will re-roll. Of this I am certain. His ego will not allow this to be the last we have heard of him. When he returns, it will be under a different name, just as he had done before.

This post is from me, and me alone, and has nothing to do with my current alliance.

[font="Arial Black"][color="#FF0000"][b][size="7"]Yuurei.[/size][/b][/color][/font]Exiled Founder of ADI.

[quote name='Yuurei' date='13 April 2010 - 04:46 AM' timestamp='1271148350' post='2258535']
[/quote]

You had an interesting post, but I stopped reading riiiight about here.

[quote name='Yuurei' date='13 April 2010 - 03:46 AM' timestamp='1271148350' post='2258535']
In fact Elspeth was one of the first people Warbuck forced out of ADI.
[/quote]

I seemed to remember being told we were going to get rolled for accepting her....

Glad to see that our decision to accept her in spite of it (and after speaking with ADI gov, BECAUSE they were being belligerent) was the right one.

[quote name='Yuurei' date='13 April 2010 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1271148350' post='2258535']
Other facts I'd like to point out:

[b]There was no secret plot to attack TDO.[/b]

[/quote]

I do not agree with either of these two points. The logs issue has been beaten to death, so we wont talk of that, the TDO thing was no secret. The case was ADI/Warbuck wanted to push them, and push hard because of all the constant to and fro of angst between the two. That is also the first time many in Ragnarok felt that this particular protectorate was pushing our weight around as if it were their own.

Also thanks for the rest of your post, i always did wonder why you left ADI. Well, now i know.

[quote name='Yuurei' date='13 April 2010 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1271148350' post='2258535']
In his own personal rise to power, Warbuck systematically discredited those who made contributions, and later blateantly took credit for the actions of others, so that he could build a cult of personality around himself, ultimately resulting in acheiving blind devotion and absolute control over the alliance.

------------------------------------

A few months down the road, and Warbuck is telling everyone that he did everything on his own, and that he is the greatest leader in CN history, and that since he knows best that everyone should just follow whatever he says. Stunningly, people actually did follow him, despite any and all warnings I tried my best to give.
[/quote]

I wonder why I'm not surprised at all. :ph34r:

I probably should have read the apology more carefully... If I'd had known that Warbuck is no more I'd have already started to give some respect to ADI again.

[quote name='mylife125' date='13 April 2010 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1271165780' post='2258648']
I still support ADI getting rolled..
[/quote]

What a coincidence! I also support an alliance I have no business in dealing with getting rolled, only this particular one I have in mind goes by the initials TGH.

[quote name='Lord Boris' date='13 April 2010 - 11:19 AM' timestamp='1271171963' post='2258724']
What a coincidence! I also support an alliance I have no business in dealing with getting rolled, only this particular one I have in mind goes by the initials TGH.
[/quote]

Oh good this peace stuff was getting boring already :v:

[quote name='Lord Boris' date='13 April 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1271171963' post='2258724']
[/quote]

Finally we're noteworthy enough for someone to want us rolled :smug: Our goals have been reached.

[quote name='Lord Boris' date='13 April 2010 - 11:19 AM' timestamp='1271171963' post='2258724']
[/quote]

Yes i love the dirty talk..Keep talking this might get a little more interesting... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Yuurei' date='13 April 2010 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1271148350' post='2258535']
[/quote]

Ah its so funny when people's eyes are opened too late :lol1:

if only people would have listened/acted back when i tried to get rid of warbuck instead of blindly following him to [s]his personal worshipping show[/s] ADI

then again..this has proven to be more fun than i could have imagined..please dont stop ADI :awesome:

[quote name='Alfred von Tirpitz' date='13 April 2010 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1271167252' post='2258667']
I do not agree with either of these two points. The logs issue has been beaten to death, so we wont talk of that, the TDO thing was no secret. The case was ADI/Warbuck wanted to push them, and push hard because of all the constant to and fro of angst between the two. That is also the first time many in Ragnarok felt that this particular protectorate was pushing our weight around as if it were their own.

Also thanks for the rest of your post, i always did wonder why you left ADI. Well, now i know.
[/quote]

My point in mentioning those 2 items is that the log altering was a hotly contested issue, which I also do not wish to further discuss, but that I wanted to state the truth of the matter on that. For all the things that Warbuck DID do, altering the logs in question was in fact not something he did.

As for the TDO issue, I stated that the plan was NOT a secret as was stated in the recent apology. We were all on high alert, and knew that war with TDO could happen at any moment should diplomacy through Rok fail. Both Rok and FEAR had publicly withdrawn from the TDO Declaration of Neutrality, and for those that couldn't figure out what that was leading up to, I pretty much blurted it out on one of those 2 threads. I figured that if we were trying to threaten them into backing off, then why beat around the bush about it. Thus to say it was a secret plan that the membership was unaware of, is completely false. We all knew about it, we all supported it in the context it had been presented to us. At the time, both Rok and FEAR supported it, so we had no reason to doubt the validity of such a CB. This also is to say that Ragnarok's leadership did indeed support the idea of going to war with TDO in support of ADI in this matter, even given the implications of aqua on aqua war that it would have created. For Ragnarok to state, after the friendship had ended, that they were not, is also false. Ragnarok was willing to do whatever it took to fully support their allies in the matter regardless of the aqua issue.

[quote name='Enrage' date='13 April 2010 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1271177798' post='2258787']
ADI has been the cover story for about the last 3 months. Shouldn't yall be tired of thrasing them by now?
[/quote]

The point of my posting was not to further beat on ADI, but rather to bring to light some of the unknown facts of what all went on inside of ADI during the reign of Warbuck, and also to make clear that ADI itself was never as bad as it was prtrayed, and certainly the majority of the membership is not to blame.

Warbuck was a master manipulator with a massive ego. He was extrememly good at luring people in, and convincing them that he was acting in their best interests. There is no denying his recruiting abilities. The problem lay in the fact that too many people believed in him beyond his abilities as a leader, and thus did not question things as thoroughly as they should have. Most did not realize until it was too late that Warbuck was concerned with Warbuck above all else.

During the early days of ADI, people such as KaitlinK, as well as gov members from MHA and FEAR kept telling Warbuck what a great leader he was. Every time someone said this kind of thing to him in IRC, he would save that log and use it as internal propaganda to convince others that he knew what was best for the alliance. As he kept hearing this more frequently, he stopped listening to any contrary advice from within the ADI gov. This lead him to act unilaterally creating the Rok incidents. Once that was posted, rather than see the fallout for the mistake it was and the potential danger he put the rest of the alliance membership in, he used the positive comments from the (anti-Rok/anti-Hoo) Hegemony alliances as proof that he was a political genius, and that was the fuel he needed to convince the alliance to give him absolute power over the alliance. Everything that happened was like a snowball effect pushing things further and further in the wrong direction and increasing both his ego and his power.

[quote name='Da DreadLord' date='13 April 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1271179712' post='2258818']

if only people would have listened/acted back when i tried to get rid of warbuck instead of blindly following him to [s]his personal worshipping show[/s] ADI

then again..this has proven to be more fun than i could have imagined..please dont stop ADI :awesome:
[/quote]

Sorry hun, I too thought he wasn't a complete loss until ADI...

[quote name='Yuurei' date='13 April 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1271180908' post='2258839']
My point in mentioning those 2 items is that the log altering was a hotly contested issue, which I also do not wish to further discuss, but that I wanted to state the truth of the matter on that. For all the things that Warbuck DID do, altering the logs in question was in fact not something he did.[/quote]

He may not have altered the logs, but someone did and he knows that.

On the TDO issue, anyone in ADI who thought this was some sort of secret simply wasn't paying attention. Ragnarok was ready to attack TDO (along with FEAR) no matter how we felt about the CB. We at RoK have a different opinion on CBs as the rest of you ... simply put: a CB does not have to be accepted by the community at large. If you felt it was war worthy, then we were right there with you. We were not going to let our ally, who was all of one million NS, smash up against an alliance five times their size alone.

To summarize: We didn't 100% agree with the CB, but our allies did and we were supportive of that.

Lastly, we need more ADI threads. There is just not enough reading material out there in regard to them.

[quote name='Da DreadLord' date='13 April 2010 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1271179712' post='2258818']

[/quote]

DDL...this is why you will always be my Lord.

this guy just won't leave...lol (guess I haven't seen many nations make it to 26 days inactivity). Or maybe warbucks has magical powers that go beyond the power of admin [img]http://forums.cybernations.net/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae123/orionsway16/johnwarbuckat26daysinactiveapril16t.jpg[/img]