When Hackers Go Too Far

Necromancer V4L

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bros2' date='16 February 2010 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1266322952' post='2185446']
It isn't /b/

It's UME.

aka boy.

aka the guy who said not accept.

His is from New Zealand with proxies used based in Russia, US, Ukraine.
[/quote]

Ugh, its this guy again? He messed with GATO and a bunch of our nations/irc/forum accounts a few weeks back. What the hell is wrong with people like this?

[quote name='helstrm' date='15 February 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1266283568' post='2183837']
How did they compromise your personal e-mail by hacking your forum unless people were using the same username/password combinations for nations here and your e-mail accounts?
[/quote]

This is one of the parts where he went to far. Just because the guy was able to FIND OUT what the address was the [insert "colorful" description here] he was inclined to hack it. and his nation. and ruin anything that person as described above could.

[quote name='Ryuzaki' date='16 February 2010 - 03:42 AM' timestamp='1266309744' post='2185286']
I'm no legal expert or anything but if the guy doing this is in NZ then [url="http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2003/0039/latest/DLM200200.html?search=ts_all%40act%40bill%40regulation_Crimes+Amendment+Act+2003_noresel&p=1#DLM200263"]this[/url] should apply.
[/quote]
Again, trying pressing charges from the United States, and if he isn't using any of your information its going to work out being a !@#$%* and very expensive. I would think the best way to go about it would be to increase your forum security so he can't do it again, rather then working to get him. Notify the police there I guess if you want, but the actual finances of it are going to end up working against you :v

Edited by Penlugue Solaris

I quit CN. Right here, right now. Cold turkey. I can't deal with BS like this. Ridiculous. I have bigger things to worry about than hackers from a stupid-$@! game coming and ruining my life. Don't try to message me in-game, don't try to email me, don't try to Skype me, don't try and talk to me on IRC. I'm done now.

Edited by SeasonsOfLove

There's really not much any of us can say except best of luck to getting this all worked out. It's a terrible shame when something like this happens. I think of ourselves as such a close-knit community, but incidents like these remind me of how terrible some people can be.

You'd think admin would be able to help you.

How in hell can ANYONE take this game so seriously that they go to $%&@ up somebody's life over it? Everything in CN is unimportant in the grand scheme of life, unless there's a giant, million-RL US dollar lotto I have yet to hear about.

Necro, man, I hope you get this cleared up quickly.

[quote name='helstrm' date='15 February 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1266284278' post='2183866']
The part that sucks about this is the authorities will not do anything unless the hackers actually use the information they gained and cause financial issues or obtain credit ect.. There are so many hackers out there that the authorities only get involved if there is a substantial financial loss.[/quote]
Even then, most authorities have their hands tied due to issues regarding jurisdiction. My recommendation is to not go to local authorities but contact a federal organization or bureau in regards to the crimes and see if there's anything they can prosecute on that level. That your only way of really getting anything done. Local authorities have much more limited means and if the person resides outside of city or state lines they can only ask for assistance in the investigation from those in the area. Such assistance isn't required or even likely. Also you go federal first because once you make a report, you can't make a duplicate, no matter with what agency.

If it's international, then nothing will be achieved. It'll just die with who ever you report it to.

[quote name='helstrm' date='15 February 2010 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1266285197' post='2183917']
If you passwords were not the same it is more likely that your e-mail account was compromised. With that the hacker could have submitted all the forgotten password requests they needed. I actually use a separate gmail account for gaming and online forum registrations. Then another for RL accounts.
[/quote]
They could have also used certain other (rather easy) methods of obtaining the information beside forgotten password or password guessing. One doesn't need their e-mail account to do so but yes, it is probable they simply did forgotten password. I doubt they otherwise would have known about his membership to the number of other sites unless he advertised it some how. Still, with the amount of information available to us over the internet, one could probably do forgotten password based off real life information you got through surfing. That's why my answers to those questions never actually matches what the question is asking. An example being if it asks what high school I went to I'll put down Muro 128. It being random increases the possible answers exponentially.

Ah, the United Mahouts of Epicaricacy.
I remember them from the CE raid.
[quote name='Haflinger' date='16 February 2010 - 12:23 PM' timestamp='1266344603' post='2185833']
UME is from /b/. UTOPOS posts there. Anyway.

This is completely horrible. Good luck getting your life back.
[/quote]
UTOPOS is dead.

Anyways, always take basic precautions when playing games, especially ones as intense as this.
Use newly generated e-mails, completely random passwords saved either in your browser or in a text file somewhere, use nonsense answers to security questions, etc.

[quote name='Organic' date='17 February 2010 - 01:27 AM' timestamp='1266388032' post='2187209']
Ah, the United Mahouts of Epicaricacy.
I remember them from the CE raid.

UTOPOS is dead.

Anyways, always take basic precautions when playing games, especially ones as intense as this.
Use newly generated e-mails, completely random [b]passwords saved either in your browser[/b] or in a text file somewhere, use nonsense answers to security questions, etc.
[/quote]
Re: bolded
If you're saying what I think you are, absolutely not. Clear out your cookies, temporary files and what ever else every time you sign off and right after you visit and log into important websites like your bank. Spyware and other such programs can be found on a wide variety of websites right down to shopping markets or social sites and while they won't likely target your gaming accounts there are some programs running around that will hijack e-mails (at the least) from their original owners to send spam out to others. Thus far the program targets only a few websites with free e-mails but it's still relatively new.

In the event people use laptops, I would also advise against them saving them in a text file in case someone steals or otherwise finds your laptop should you lose it. Last thing you would want is someone getting access to all of that personal banking information and anything reporting important like that.

Edited by Hyperbad

This thread has motivated me to completely redo the way I handle my security.

So I created an email, complete with a 32 character password generated of a mix and letters and numbers. Figure it'd take somebody a little while to crack. So I go in game to change my contact email and get the following message.

[quote]You have received an error trying to view a page. Here is the detailed error code: This screen is currently disabled.[/quote]

Kinda a hindrance in trying to secure myself, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'll try again later, definately a need to become more secure.

Edited by memoryproblems

That's one of the reasons I use free, disposable hotmail addresses for all games and a private one for everything important.

Keep your lives as completely separated as possible.

Edited by Letum

[quote name='Letum' date='17 February 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1266403831' post='2187392']
That's one of the reasons I use free, disposable hotmail addresses for all games and a private one for everything important.

Keep your lives as completely separated as possible.
[/quote]

Exactly. This is the best way to go.

It sucks getting hacked though. And that's something I'll never get behind. Committing a RL crime for a game? Risking punishment for a game?

[quote name='Hyperbad' date='17 February 2010 - 01:07 AM' timestamp='1266390434' post='2187264']
Re: bolded
If you're saying what I think you are, absolutely not. Clear out your cookies, temporary files and what ever else every time you sign off and right after you visit and log into important websites like your bank. Spyware and other such programs can be found on a wide variety of websites right down to shopping markets or social sites and while they won't likely target your gaming accounts there are some programs running around that will hijack e-mails (at the least) from their original owners to send spam out to others. Thus far the program targets only a few websites with free e-mails but it's still relatively new.

In the event people use laptops, I would also advise against them saving them in a text file in case someone steals or otherwise finds your laptop should you lose it. Last thing you would want is someone getting access to all of that personal banking information and anything reporting important like that.
[/quote]
Depends on how secure you think your system is.

This is utterly over the top.

If you have good evidence that the (attempted) identity theft occured from NZ, your best bet would probably be to contact the NZ police directly. It's not Russia, it's a respected Western country and they shouldn't just laugh you out of town.

Our forums are back up now, so I suggest that if you have an account on our forums that you change your password ASAP.

In response to Bob Janova: One of the people he attempted to hack was on a US DoD computer, so I'm sure some type of action is already being taken against whomever it was that did this.

[quote name='Lord of Destruction' date='18 February 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1266527654' post='2190194']
Our forums are back up now, so I suggest that if you have an account on our forums that you change your password ASAP.

In response to Bob Janova: One of the people he attempted to hack was on a US DoD computer, so I'm sure some type of action is already being taken against whomever it was that did this.
[/quote]

It was on their home computer and he did not have any US DoD material and he does not believe that boy gained access to any of the other things on his computer. If he did, lolololololololololol

[quote name='bros2' date='18 February 2010 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1266532012' post='2190377']
It was on their home computer and he did not have any US DoD material and he does not believe that boy gained access to any of the other things on his computer. If he did, lolololololololololol
[/quote]

Too bad... it would have been great had he been prosecuted over this.

[quote name='Lord of Destruction' date='18 February 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1266534455' post='2190465']
Too bad... it would have been great had he been prosecuted over this.
[/quote]

I would've laughed my $@! off at someone getting extradited over !@#$@#$ CN XD