When Hackers Go Too Far

Necromancer V4L

Welp,

As a casual CN player in one of the smallest alliances, I never thought that our site would get hacked. I mean, we are only just over a month old, and we really haven't done anything to piss anyone off, so we should be ok, right? Wrong. Darkstar's forums were compromised sometime in the last 24 hours, and several of our players have had their nations hacked, as well as some of the foreign diplomats who registered on our boards.

They didn't stop there, however, and that is where they went too far. I had no less than 5 separate email accounts hacked, including those that have access to my bank accounts, paypal accounts, my school accounts, my personal website, etc. My personal info, including and not limited to my address, phone number, full irl name, etc was tossed around in IRC. I wasn't using the same password everywhere - I was, in fact, using several passwords, thinking that I was safe from this sort of thing.

Thank you CyberNations, for producing players so hateful that they would go to the extent of not only hacking an alliance boards, but then going on to make vulnerable individual players real lives. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't considering walking away from this game right now.

To the person who hacked our forums: I hope you feel cool. I hope you feel accomplished.

To that same person who took things beyond the scope of the game: You are a !@#$@#$ douche.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to add to the dismay, the hacker took my nation and declared war on 2 other nations, one being a friend and the other being another nation. To my luck, he did not attack either to my knowledge however the douche deleted my 7 wonders which as you know are not easy to get back.

He also went to the extent of using my email to find my facebook password and use it to harass my RL self along with several friends, not limited to my teachers and my girlfriend.

So to whoever you are, if you have nothing better to do but be a douche, end your life because it isnt worth living obviously.

[quote name='bros2' date='15 February 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1266282501' post='2183806']
Honestly, that is what happens when you use a universal password
[/quote]
[quote name='Necromancer V4L' date='15 February 2010 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1266281998' post='2183786']I wasn't using the same password everywhere - I was, in fact, using several passwords, thinking that I was safe from this sort of thing.
[/quote]

Once it involves potential identity theft and access to bank accounts, it's something that you should involve the proper authorities (Police, university officials, etc) in right away. Good luck in finding out who did this and would stoop this low over a game.

Also, I forgot to mention above, have you tried asking admin for the ip address of who logged into your nation and did those actions? If the hacker wasn't using a proxy, which isn't very likely but possible, it could help identify the perpetrator.

[quote name='Big Z' date='15 February 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1266283471' post='2183835']
Once it involves potential identity theft and access to bank accounts, it's something that you should involve the proper authorities (Police, university officials, etc) in right away. Good luck in finding out who did this and would stoop this low over a game.
[/quote]
This bears repeating. Good luck, I hope they can catch the scumbags.

On the much less important topic, I would encourage you to not let this ruin the game for you. I would say that 90+% of people I've talked to are decent people and just because this jerk is here doesn't mean that all of us are.

The part that sucks about this is the authorities will not do anything unless the hackers actually use the information they gained and cause financial issues or obtain credit ect.. There are so many hackers out there that the authorities only get involved if there is a substantial financial loss.

Contact your e-mail/isp and have all of the passwords reset. Log into your accounts and change the default e-mail addresses to a new address, reset the passwords and monitor the accounts for activity.

If you can obtain the hackers IP address do an IP lookup and send the logs to the users ISP advising them of the illegal activity. If the hacker is in the US the ISP will terminate the account. If they are outside the US I wish you luck.

[quote name='bros2' date='16 February 2010 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1266282501' post='2183806']
Honestly, that is what happens when you use a universal password
[/quote]
Why are you placing the blame on the victim? Okay, so his logins weren't as secure as they could've been, but that does not mean he deserved this.

If you passwords were not the same it is more likely that your e-mail account was compromised. With that the hacker could have submitted all the forgotten password requests they needed. I actually use a separate gmail account for gaming and online forum registrations. Then another for RL accounts.

Yeah, i used different passwords for everything except the password to our forums and the game was just a few different numbers and such. However they took my email and used it to get my facebook password. I've seen the password requests so i know what they did. In my case, due to the harassment of my friends and family, the authorities have been contacted and hopefully can do something.