Security notice to all alliance running outdated versions of Invision Power Board

bros

If you are running an IPB forum that is version 2.3.5 or less, please either upgrade it if your license is still active or convert to SMF. There is another thing you can do, but it is a bit annoying, but I can instruct you how to do it over query on IRC.

Why?

If you have a version that is less than that people can and will try to steal your passwords and they will probably succeed. They have on one alliance I was helping last night. That was rather fun last night. I found a lot of information out on a person. :P

mmmk CN?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because version 2.3.5 doesn't have any exploits :rolleyes:

If someone has gotten into a forum on CN using a specific exploit on a specific type of forum software, then it would /probably/ be a good idea to not be on that, right?

Anyone who would willingly take things to that level, that they would try to hack another alliance's forums, needs a swift kick in the $@! and a reality check. I hope anyone using an older version of IPB listens to bros, as there's no need for any other forums to potentially be compromised.

Also, bros is good people, so .. listen to bros regardless.

edited because I spelled forms instead of forums.. yeah, that was dumb.

Edited by astronaut jones

Anyone who would willingly take things to that level, that they would try to hack another alliance's forums, needs a swift kick in the $@! and a reality check.

I don't think other alliances are the main worry. There are just random people out there who like to get all the information they can off of random forums.

I don't think other alliances are the main worry. There are just random people out there who like to get all the information they can off of random forums.

Ahhh, I was under the impression based upon the first few posts, that the person who attempted this was somehow involved with CN/PB affairs in some way, and just drew the logical conclusion that they were someone who took a grievances with someone/some alliance further than it ever needed to go. Wouldn't have been the first time that someone took an in-game grievance too far.

It's a trap!

Honestly, if you have a license with IPB you probably have upgraded already. If you don't have a license and you umm... "borrowed" one, then let the security holes build I say!

Some alliances IPB licenses may have expired after the year or whatever or free upgrades and they do not wish to pay for more upgrades.

Ahhh, I was under the impression based upon the first few posts, that the person who attempted this was somehow involved with CN/PB affairs in some way, and just drew the logical conclusion that they were someone who took a grievances with someone/some alliance further than it ever needed to go. Wouldn't have been the first time that someone took an in-game grievance too far.

they did, they stole peoples passwords on an Alliance's forums because they refused to give him admin powers or something like that.

It is always best to operate with the latest version of whatever software you use, they tend to have more features and are more secure.

I second what bros said, update your forum software if you have not already done so. (and change your passwords too as well just in case)