The Quit Whining Thread

Tygaland

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is annoying I am sure even more when you find yourself being reported.

Your unhappy thoughts (should I say it-- whining xD) about their zealous in performing their "civil duty" is quite understandable, but its up to the moderators to prevent serious abuse. To judge every single report and to judge if one is abusing them. Seeing most of the reports, they get moderators to judge them as valid. So rules are being breached.

We can not do much more then to entrust the moderators to do the right thing. Correction, we can though, whine about it :D

Edited by Branimir

It is annoying I am sure even more when you find yourself being reported.

Your unhappy thoughts (should I say it-- whining xD) about their zealous in performing their "civil duty" is quite understandable, but its up to the moderators to prevent serious abuse. To judge every single report and to judge if one is abusing them. Seeing most of the reports, they get moderators to judge them as valid. So rules are being breached.

We can not do much more then to entrust the moderators to do the right thing. Correction, we can though, whine about it :D

Except that moderators' time and attention is drawn preferentially to the reports (else there would be no point to the forum) and people who attract attention or who are controversial are reported with higher frequency simply because there are people who would like to see them gone. As a result, the more colorful and interesting members of the community are held to a higher standard than others, even if the reports against them are valid and the moderators are applying the rules fairly and correctly.

Wahhhh. :)

Tyga is of course correct.

Nevertheless I sometimes like reading the most whiny of the abuse reports. I come from .... well more intrepid parts of the Internet, where the term "flame" is reserved for the sorts of comments that lead to instant bans around here. So reading abuse reports often makes me raise an eyebrow.

Except that moderators' time and attention is drawn preferentially to the reports (else there would be no point to the forum) and people who attract attention or who are controversial are reported with higher frequency simply because there are people who would like to see them gone. As a result, the more colorful and interesting members of the community are held to a higher standard than others, even if the reports against them are valid and the moderators are applying the rules fairly and correctly.

I understand, this is indeed correct, but what in the end, can we do? Those more "controversial celebrities" of CN active on the boards frequently indeed are the ones to stick within the rule book carefully as by nature of things they attract all kinds of attention by their status. Its not just this way on the Internet boards, its a bit universal in life. While some anonymous can "get away with crime" sometimes.

We can shut down that sub forum I guess. What you posted is something which will just happen, one of those things.

I do not know, have you any suggestions.

Edited by Branimir

I understand, this is indeed correct, but what in the end, can we do? Those more "controversial celebrities" of CN active on the boards frequently indeed are the ones to stick within the rule book carefully as by nature of things they attract all kinds of attention by their status. Its not just this way on the Internet boards, its a bit universal in life. While some anonymous can "get away with crime" sometimes.

We can shut down that sub forum I guess. What you posted is something which will just happen, one of those things.

You're right that it's seemingly a natural result of the way things are set up. I don't know that shutting down the sub-forum is a good way to go; some of the reports there are merited (for instance, advertisement spam) or deserve a quick response (e.g. /b/ombing).

It's a hard problem to fix policy-wise, short of relaxing the rules (which invites a host of other problems). The best solution is exactly what's posted in the OP: for individuals to evaluate their personal reporting protocols and pass over the petty crap. Alas that it's unlikely to have any impact.

You're right that it's seemingly a natural result of the way things are set up. I don't know that shutting down the sub-forum is a good way to go; some of the reports there are merited (for instance, advertisement spam) or deserve a quick response (e.g. /b/ombing).

It's a hard problem to fix policy-wise, short of relaxing the rules (which invites a host of other problems). The best solution is exactly what's posted in the OP: for individuals to evaluate their personal reporting protocols and pass over the petty crap. Alas that it's unlikely to have any impact.

Private message a moderator. Plus, when you do report someone by private messages, it wont be tracked -- so people like me wont get upset at people like Desperado whom reported me for a very minor 'fallacy' if you will. Some people DON'T report merely because they are afraid of the political consequences. Thankfully I had an awesome moderator handle my situation, but the fact remains it will always be looked down upon those who over report because it is always hilarious they will NEVER report the ones in their own alliance, but private message them and tell them their siggy may be too long, but to a stranger, they'd never do this in an attempt to score brownie points.

I've been around for a while... and I must say, I would have never noticed that such a forum existed were it not for Tyga.

Also: My view on Bilrow has changed by several degrees. :(

Edited by Heyman

We're looking at you, Bilrow. You could at least try to contribute something other than abuse reports on occasion.

I think you can get warned from trolling Bilrow for that :P

What else is left now that he can no longer place the GGA - the people's champion - at the forefront of moral crusades to rid the Cyberverse of indecency and evildoers?

Well, he can always buy a WRC and go on a more powerful lone crusade. . .

In all seriousness, Tyga, you're one of the few people who can post this and be heeded. It's definitely becoming a problem, and everyone needs to start keeping their own egos in check.

Meh,

What's funny is that in the past, people who said to grow a pair were usually the first ones to petty report when things got hot for them.

There has always been a tit for tat response to those reports. But, Mod's made the rules and people report breaches to the rules. Let the mods determine if it's frivolous or not. It should be common sense. Not that any of that exists on CN though.

We're looking at you, Bilrow. You could at least try to contribute something other than abuse reports on occasion.

No kidding.

It might just be because its still early in the day, but I'm having a real hard time deciphering your posts.

What else is left now that he can no longer place the GGA - the people's champion - at the forefront of moral crusades to rid the Cyberverse of indecency and evildoers?

One thing which can be said for Bilrow is that he diligently goes by the book (in this case forum rules/regulations). This goes for both friend and foe. I worked with Bilrow when i was lower government in the GGA. One thing can be said, Bilrow is strict yet fair.

Another thing which can be said is that it is only natural when someone has been flamed/trolled/attacked as many times as Bilrow has been, it is natural for someone to try and put an end to all this flaming/ trolling/ baiting etc etc.

Revanche, your post is exactly why Bilrow has made that many reports.

There are two sides to this. If you folks want less reports in the moderation section then:

1. Become more mature (no more flaming, trolling, baiting

2. Follow forum regulations. One minor signature may not seem like a lot, but when others follow this eats up bandwidth faster than a washed pig gets back into the mud.

Edited by andre27

The best solution is exactly what's posted in the OP: for individuals to evaluate their personal reporting protocols and pass over the petty crap. Alas that it's unlikely to have any impact.

Indeed it is a complex issue, one that I view as just one of those things which will happen.

We can now publicly shun the most active reporters of forum abuses (which in more then 90% are valid) as being somewhat party breakers, snitches, or overzealous to become moderators, etcetera. Funnily even when one does that, the top names which pop up are the ones with which one is ICly opposed, while other names get neglected. Also a pattern I have noticed in which Tyga did not fall in, commendable.

But truth be told, in a week time even if they stop due to public discourse, a new set of people doing the same thing will pop up.

It has already happened. I have noticed it. Some periods of time couple of names stick out in their reports, and then after a while they go "inactive" only to be replaced with another set of people.

And what can you say to them. Their reports in vast majority are legit. Reevaluate, do not report every single board rules breaking you see,...but really if somebody wants to he can.

So as said, only thing we can really do is to entrust moderators to do the right thing and us to accept certain things in our game as given even if you do not like them and have some personal opinion about them or a feeling. Rants like this one, can be a nice venting place if the feeling accumulates too much but in the end things will never be perfect.

It might just be because its still early in the day, but I'm having a real hard time deciphering your posts.

Get your morning coffee in then. :D

My post is quite clear, cant fathom whats to be a problem in understanding it. I even didn't made many spelling errors or anything xD

I realise this is as much use as urinating into a hurricane but here goes.

I look over the Report Forum Abuse section of this forum occasionally and it never ceases to amaze me the number of people running to dob in a political opponent for the most trivial of issues. And before any of you start, no, I haven't been reported in a while so its nothing to do with any incident involving myself.

But, seriously, if you can't take the odd sarcastic remark or low-level, thinly-veiled insult (especially on an IC political forum) then get a thicker skin and grow some stones or don't get involved in political discussions/arguments.

Sure, some idiot takes things too far now and then, but I look over the moderation section and just shake my head sometimes at how sensitive people pretend to be when they think they can get an in-game foe warned or banned.

It is not like this is going to change anything, just wanted on record that I think it is weak and pathetic. Calling someone's argument moronic is not flaming. Is it even possible to flame an argument? Debate is a battle of ideas and some ideas are moronic to some people. In politics, people insult other politicians and in this game we are all politicians whether we like it or not. so, if you are arguing in an IC area and get insulted "ICly" then suck it up. Politics is a nasty business.

So, yeah...quit whining and trying to get people banned for trivial things and get on with the game.

P.S. Yes, I also know the irony of the "Quit Whining Thread" containing my whining, hence the description. So, shut up. :P

People don't actually want to play the game though, that's the whole problem.

Everyone wants to maintain the power they have. Everyone wants to silence their enemies and people they don't like, but they're too afraid, because they need to preserve their precious infrastructure, technology, and land (even though those things are USELESS if you don't put them to work for you). No one wants to do things conventionally, so they all !@#$%*, whine, and complain in order to silence people.

If people wanted to play the game, you wouldn't have the likes of certain alliances I won't name signing treaties with every other alliance while cozying up to certain other alliances in an effort to make themselves feel special and protected.

And if anyone reads this and they don't know what alliances I'm talking about, chances are it's the one you're in.

Revanche, your post is exactly why Bilrow has made that many reports.

While it's nice to gain credit for having such a dramatic impact on someone's playing style, if you're suggesting that I was flaming Bilrow, I will disagree with you. It was an astute observation on his playing style and previous antics.

Another thing which can be said is that it is only natural when someone has been flamed/trolled/attacked as many times as Bilrow has been, it is natural for someone to try and put an end to all this flaming/ trolling/ baiting etc etc.

Some would say that Bilrow has brought that upon himself. And as Tygaland so eloquently expressed in the original post, not every critical opinion of a player, character or an alliance can be considered flaming or trolling - there are firm definitions for what constitutes flaming and trolling, and the vast majority of content that gets labelled as such by posters around here simply does not meet the criteria.

Edited by Revanche