1000+ days: An analytical analysis of Cybernations in hindsight

bros

Still in the corner slapping myself for not being here...

Me too. I started a nation shortly after the first Great War ended, but thought the game sucked and let it delete not too long afterward, never having seen these forums or having any clue what was going on.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody mentioned the fall of Chris Kaos, yet?

That was amusing.

Chris was kind of a screwed up individual for whom leaving CN was probably for the best. Come to think of it the same could be said of me.

Personally, I'm amazed how much potential my CN career had at one point. I was pretty much on the fast track to becoming GATO AC, although in hindsight I probably would have made a bad one.

I remember, as a fresh new Ambassador, writing a little treaty, posting it, and wondering why it was so controversial. If I had known that the Praetorian Covenant was going to cause as much furor as it did, I probably wouldn't have come up with it. Indeed, I'm surprised someone didn't yell at me for doing something that was above and beyond my position. People were more tolerant of mistakes like that back then, because I guess a slipup was less likely to end in war.

I remember Great War I, how much of a coward I was in that conflict, and I'm not proud of the way I ran out on my alliance back then. Come to think of it I'm ashamed this became a theme throughout the first year of my CN life. I'd like to say sorry to GATO for the wrongs I've done to them over the years. I was taught quite a bit and I ultimately spat right back in their faces. It means nothing at this point but whatever.

September and October 2006 were exciting times for me. I wish that it all ended differently, but tht doesn't change the fact things have never been as interesting as my rather tumultuous term as the Deputy AC of GATO. It's amazing how $%&@ed up that alliance was in those months and that it somehow didn't self-destruct entirely. Even if there wasn't a war it amazes me how much was going on.

Above all else I remember how open the game used to be, how whenever a controversial issue came up it would turn into a huge debate, possibly even a flamefest that would result in dozens of warnings, yet people could, for the most part, forgive and forget. I think the petty vendettas people in this game (myself included) carry against each other is what brings it down, the ability to just recognize that stupid !@#$ happens.

Also note: I'm not complaining about how I ended up leaving, that was my fault for making stupid decisions. The whole VP mess was the last in a series of dumb moves and ultimately I couldn't keep screwing up like I have and get away with it. Also, mods, I know I don't have a nation, but I'm just hoping to reminisce and I hope you don't ban me. If I'm better off just leaving to avoid losing this account I'll go now.

None of the now good members of CN were in gov there. That is the problem :P

Machiabelly, Bob Sanders, strungout, thomas20, myself (haha why not), Imperator G4G.

theres a few of us around.

edit: mach was premier after Cramzpatio if memory serves, so whoever said that would be correct.

Edited by El Pilchinator

Machiabelly, Bob Sanders, strungout, thomas20, myself (haha why not), Imperator G4G.

theres a few of us around.

edit: mach was premier after Cramzpatio if memory serves, so whoever said that would be correct.

I only know Machiabelly, Bob Sandwich, you.

Imperator sounds familiar, don't know from where

never heard of strungout or thomas20

I only know Machiabelly, Bob Sandwich, you.

Imperator sounds familiar, don't know from where

never heard of strungout or thomas20

Thomas20 is the guy who disbanded GOLD and then hid in peace mode for months afterwards before joining \m/. :lol:

Edit: Link to thread. http://z15.invisionfree.com/Cyber_Nations/...c=72549&hl=

Edited by Bob Sanders

None of the now good members of CN were in gov there. That is the problem :P

Actually, you would be surprised. I can think of a lot of current alliances with members of GOLD in their government now, including people who got their first government positions in GOLD. I will attempt to make a list one day, but I think it would be rather long.

thomas and strungout were cool

also lol waegis

oh god aegis.

i remember that i was MoIA when GOLD was voting on if we'd go to war against the 'ebil NPO'. i think i threatened my resignation the same day if we passed it.

i wonder if we'll ever see another day with such polarizing politics ever again...

1035 day old cru repra-zent :ehm:

People have remembered so many good things already so I will just have to be satisfied with remembering your brilliant beautiful coup of posting this in the forum. I was just laughing like crazy for hours there at the comments that came.

Also I remember when sending 10k as start-up aid was generous, and when I suggested increasing it later on some complained that it would open IRON up to nations taking the money and running. 10k.... :lol:

What horrible wastefulness is this? I got 10k as a loan when I joined -- and still I was so happy because I had never seen so much money...

And far and away my favorite senate race, better than kingzog's place on red team recently, was New Reverie in December of 2006. My god, the war drums were beating then.

Oh hello there, I remember what New Reverie was actually saying inside LOSS at that time :v:

The league was lol

But the League Forum was hilarious. Walford smacked me down when I thought that I had invented a great new war tactic (well it worked!), plus +Zeke+ and the rest of LOSS military leaders was getting into a fight with GATO's military leaders over joining all the Alliances together for better control in the war.

Also and for ever, crying for the destruction of the Black Team Forum (and the Real Black Team Forum too), things has never been the same since then. :(

Bros, I must say you have come very far since you started. If you would have asked me back in 06, if I thought you would be around this long, I would have said hell no. Good job, you've improved dramatically.

Also, not sure if someone else said it, but I remember when the CM's had a sound each time you launched it! Ha! Beat that.

Bros, I must say you have come very far since you started. If you would have asked me back in 06, if I thought you would be around this long, I would have said hell no. Good job, you've improved dramatically.

Also, not sure if someone else said it, but I remember when the CM's had a sound each time you launched it! Ha! Beat that.

That was just removed in one of the last couple wars due to bandwidth. :P

I miss that greatly :( People would launch them during class at school with the sound all the way up on accident, and the teachers never seemed to mind, in fact one teacher even started playing after that happened once :P

hahahah that used to be so awesome. I miss the old ladder system, that really made GW1 very interesting considering the NPO was almost untouchable. We did everything in our power to try and keep a few nations in the top 50.

I also really miss the huge casualties from the old wars. There were times when I'd kill 100k enemy soldiers and only lose 5k of mine.

Actually, if I remember correctly, I was once a new player to CN that witnessed GOONS members hating on Ejayrazz in the Black Team Forum. In fact, I joined in and ended up apologizing for insulting a player I knew nothing about. Learned to eat crow a bit since then, but it's all part of learning. When I re-rolled my nation before this current one, I saw Ejay was a widely respected player and couldn't imagine how things could have changed so quickly. I also had to get the password to the forums from a fellow player as it took weeks if not months to get it from applying in the thread. Believe the password was 'midnight'.

Seeing FAN in their glory days of GWII, I had wanted to join them so badly. Upon my return, their reputation had also changed dramatically. They were in peace mode and eventually attacked for not following peace terms. My CN world had been flipped upside down.

The atmosphere of the game has certainly changed. I loved the Initiative and the League opposing each other. Was the most exciting rivalry in any game I've ever played. However, I also like where the game is at now. It's so much harder for an alliance to prove itself, for a leader to become something. It's a true challenge, only the strong can survive now.

Nearly 2 years for me, and it's been one hell of a ride.