The Big Boss

John More Dread

I would have never thought that I would have ever found myself defending Branimir, but you gals and guys are nitpicking. Yes he said "from your high horse", that probably was inaccurate, but hardly offensive and certainly not worth posts over posts about it. Jesus Christ, I mean, he's Branimir! A bit of harshness is his trademark (that was even quite nice compared to other posts).

Then again, Asa's reply was also exaggerated: calling "lies" Branimir's story was unwarranted. However, again, he's Asa! Not really known for being the nicest (or the most up to date) diplomatic individual in CN.
He went through some statements and claims and Branimir's one was caught in the middle... think of it as collateral damage. While to some (and especially to Branimir) it's rather obvious where B stands, that's not obvious for Asa (whose thought will undoubtedly be "why should I care at all where he stands?")

I'll also go out on a limb to say that Branimir's advice is also generally actually good, and this case doesn't make an exception. Manners and who you go talk to matter a lot. It doesn't apply here - the WTF aren't interested in doing anything with anyone else - but that doesn't make it bad advice.
I think that it's worth appreciation and that it deserves courtesy.

Then of course none of you will care about all of this, which you're quite entitled to do... Carry on then. :)

Edited by jerdge

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an uninvolved 3rd party I'd have to echo sigrun here. Your original claim was extremely exaggerated and the link you posted as "proof" was weak at best. WTF just didn't want to get involved with rolling Umbrella because it wasn't their war or their problem, I don't see how that's arrogance or them dismissing you from a "high horse." 

Well yeah, for Branimirs claim to qualify as even basically true, there would have had to be some indication of haughtiness or disdain, which isnt there. And I think it would be fair to say also that it would need to have been a somewhat comparable situation to today, someone under attack who could use immediate defensive assistance. Instead it turns out to have been someone trying to recruit WTF for an offensive coalition aiming to roll Umbrella!

An alliance known for being peaceful and staying to themselves declined to join a plot to attack a well connected and warlike alliance. How shocking.

So there was no high horse and the situations were not even close to comparable that aside, and yet it worked, we're all talking about something that didnt happen for pages. 

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

DBDC isn't really a problem to 75% of alliances in the game. The problem is the other alliances that are so quick to jump to their defense in the hopes their top tier's are never raided. There has never been a group that has gotten away with as much stuff, IC and OOC, as DBDC. So, the amount of support they have is kind of surprising.

At this point it honestly doesn't matter though. The entire top tier has allied eachother except for GPA and those random others with 1-2 nations up there. The real politics will once again be focused around the mid-tier, which is currently dominated by Pacifica and IRON, the most powerful grouping in CN at the moment.

The fact that you are out of the top tier will actually allow you to go back to doing what you did before, WTF. Nobody will waste their mid tier grinding a neutral down, so it's a pretty safe position compared to before.

Edited by Starfox101

While I'm still waiting for the ever active World Task Force to process my diplomat application (1 week and counting), I was passed the following image which caught my attention:

sweller.png

To answer this question, I believe it's fair to say that with so many years passing with World Task Force serving as a cocoon AA for players who want to operate outside of the main game (an underground culture as you may) to hang out and not contribute much to the ever evolving fabric of this game. Now back to addressing the point, while I may not have had much interaction with World Task Force, this is because they have no real public facing individuals who operate on IRC, and from an outside perspective, they appear to have a very cultist attitude.

Sweller, I hereby request you actually "come at me bro" and show that you are able to fight rather than chilling in Peace Mode so please, can you come at us, the guys who are attacking you?

Anyway, hope to hear from you, hugs and kisses, Franz Ferdinand.

Edited by Franz Ferdinand

There has never been a group that has gotten away with as much stuff, IC and OOC, as DBDC. So, the amount of support they have is kind of surprising.

I have to disagree with this. DBDC has made a habit of pushing various envelopes, sure. They've been controversial, sure. But Pacifica circa '08 had 'gotten away' with far more and far worse. I am no fan of this anti-neutral trend but again, Pacifica certainly did worse. The GPA was assaulted at all levels, swamped, effectively destroyed, and subjected to harsh terms that lasted for years afterwards.

So far, at least, DBDC has done nothing to compare. Their assaults on the neutrals are worrying and uncalled for, true, but at least they remain fairly limited. Despite the grumblings from ODN and the disreputable spectacle of BloodPack, we dont see DBDC calling in all their allies and trying to melt WTF to the ground, or threatening eternal zi on anyone that dares fight back.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

I have to disagree with this. DBDC has made a habit of pushing various envelopes, sure. They've been controversial, sure. But Pacifica circa '08 had 'gotten away' with far more and far worse. I am no fan of this anti-neutral trend but again, Pacifica certainly did worse. The GPA was assaulted at all levels, swamped, effectively destroyed, and subjected to harsh terms that lasted for years afterwards.

So far, at least, DBDC has done nothing to compare. Their assaults on the neutrals are worrying and uncalled for, true, but at least they remain fairly limited. Despite the grumblings from ODN and the disreputable spectacle of BloodPack, we dont see DBDC calling in all their allies and trying to melt WTF to the ground, or threatening eternal zi on anyone that dares fight back.

The Blood Pack is what could be categorised as an International Brigade. We fight for what we believe in and while we may be seen in a bad light, at least we are willing to fight it out. The thing is that supporters for the World Task Force are well within their rights to set up a similar Brigade against Blood Pack but I do note that there has been little to no attempt to do this at all. In addition to this, only a sprinkling of mercenaries have popped up at World Task Force but in general their efforts have been minimal at best.

However, I agree with the rest of your points, DBDC are not all that bad all said and done. For one, there has been no proper Woodstock Massacre yet I sense there are quite a few people out there who might have the guilty of pleasure of hoping this to actually happen.

You're not standing up for "What's right" though, Blood Pack is attacking an alliance because they defended themselves, nothing more, nothing less, you have no moral high ground to stand upon.

You're not standing up for "What's right" though, Blood Pack is attacking an alliance because they defended themselves, nothing more, nothing less, you have no moral high ground to stand upon.

Here we go again with "What is right" is objective. LoLz argument.

The Blood Pack is what could be categorised as an International Brigade. We fight for what we believe in and while we may be seen in a bad light, at least we are willing to fight it out. The thing is that supporters for the World Task Force are well within their rights to set up a similar Brigade against Blood Pack but I do note that there has been little to no attempt to do this at all. In addition to this, only a sprinkling of mercenaries have popped up at World Task Force but in general their efforts have been minimal at best.

However, I agree with the rest of your points, DBDC are not all that bad all said and done. For one, there has been no proper Woodstock Massacre yet I sense there are quite a few people out there who might have the guilty of pleasure of hoping this to actually happen.

I have said before I don't understand how you can think you have the moral high ground here but ultimately I think we can set it aside because I don't set myself as ultimate moral arbiter. If you feel you are doing what is right, more power to you on that, more people should do it. And I have no problem with the idea of an international brigade either. You have an absolute right as a player, in my view, to leave whatever alliance you are in and join such a brigade when your conscience compels you to, and whether or not it makes any sense to me or anyone else be damned.

I can even swallow the notion of dual membership, if it's done right. But that means staying put once you jump into the war, not jumping back out to another alliance for safety to rearm. And someone who is masked gov in a major alliance should probably be resigning that position before doing it, just saying.

If none of that applies to you then consider yourself exempted from my earlier comment, with my apologies.

Edited by Sigrun Vapneir

I have said before I don't understand how you can think you have the moral high ground here but ultimately I think we can set it aside because I don't set myself as ultimate moral arbiter. If you feel you are doing what is right, more power to you on that, more people should do it. And I have no problem with the idea of an international brigade either. You have an absolute right as a player, in my view, to leave whatever alliance you are in and join such a brigade when your conscience compels you to, and whether or not it makes any sense to me or anyone else be damned.

I can even swallow the notion of dual membership, if it's done right. But that means staying put once you jump into the war, not jumping back out to another alliance for safety to rearm. And someone who is masked gov in a major alliance should probably be resigning that position before doing it, just saying.

If none of that applies to you then consider yourself exempted from my earlier comment, with my apologies.

Atlas were informed of my move to the Blood Pack AA ahead of time and when I made the jump I had already resigned from any positions which would have caused any complications for such a move (Director of Foreign Affairs and then the Lord of Atlas status) which can be confirmed by Atlas government if required. Since entering the war, I have not left the Blood Pack AA, I have not acted as an agent saboteur or tried to claim I was something I am not, I have not entered Peace Mode at all.

Your apology is accepted and I am more than happy to discuss anything. Now if any of my fellow comrades at Blood Pack have not done the above (at least in terms of resigning or putting on hold government responsibilities) then that it would be up to the alliances in question to deal with that yet I am certain that at least the majority will have followed the appropriate processes.

Wasnt the very same thing said about NPO, then the something something bloc, then the new bloc, then the TBC care bears and so forth?.

You think if DBDC takes a beating its game over? no something else will roll in to play LOL

Daily reminder that this is an OOC forum.

While it's funny to see you people talking of in game morals like it was actually immoral not to have them, this is just a game. Blood Pack can certainly act without in game morals and/or ethics, that should not be a problem for anyone here.

Some people thumping their virtual chest here, and calling out people for peace mode etc are of course equally ridiculous. Get a grip. :)

DBDC isn't really a problem to 75% of alliances in the game. The problem is the other alliances that are so quick to jump to their defense in the hopes their top tier's are never raided. There has never been a group that has gotten away with as much stuff, IC and OOC, as DBDC. So, the amount of support they have is kind of surprising.

At this point it honestly doesn't matter though. The entire top tier has allied eachother except for GPA and those random others with 1-2 nations up there. The real politics will once again be focused around the mid-tier, which is currently dominated by Pacifica and IRON, the most powerful grouping in CN at the moment.

The fact that you are out of the top tier will actually allow you to go back to doing what you did before, WTF. Nobody will waste their mid tier grinding a neutral down, so it's a pretty safe position compared to before.

What exactly has DBDC gotten away with IC and OOC with that was worse than others?

Remember Starfox I've been here since 2006 so I've seen all forms of IC and OOC things going on, and I just don't think DBDC is even in the same league as NPO in the first Hegemony was, nor have they done anything near the worse OOC attacks we have seen here.

Daily reminder that this is an OOC forum.

While it's funny to see you people talking of in game morals like it was actually immoral not to have them, this is just a game. Blood Pack can certainly act without in game morals and/or ethics, that should not be a problem for anyone here.

Some people thumping their virtual chest here, and calling out people for peace mode etc are of course equally ridiculous. Get a grip. :)

Good Jerdge

This has nothing to do with DBDC

You have mouthed one of the phrases I find most disturbing.

this is just a game

Truly throughout the time I have been on Digiterra I have seen  that phrase used, to justify all measure of poor behavior and down right nasty attitude.

What do you think that actually means?

I see the same in my daily life when we engage in game play.

It is just a game.

What is that supposed to mean? If there is one place where fair gameplay, etiquette and sportsmanship should matter, it is IN A GAME.There is nothing real to "win" nor gain.

Stop saying that.

You wish to justify behavior unacceptable in a RL environment because "it is just a game" . It does not.

We are not required to reveal and revel in our basest behavior because " it is just a game."

You are not some crazed warlord or miniature Machiavelli you are what you are behind the keyboard, you impress no one with your bravado or machismo in a an online game. This is just a game.

This is just a game and frankly, I wish those who power game or wish to act out their lousy fantasies by crushing new players or smashing the civility of play would actually get it through their heads. THIS IS JUST A GAME> you have no need to act out your worst side. Being a Richard with no RL consequences is lazy and amazingly easy. Try a real challenge, try to win with honesty, etiquette and fair play. Then you might have accomplished something.

This is just a game.

Respectfully

Dame Hime Themis

While I'm still waiting for the ever active World Task Force to process my diplomat application (1 week and counting), I was passed the following image which caught my attention:

sweller.png

To answer this question, I believe it's fair to say that with so many years passing with World Task Force serving as a cocoon AA for players who want to operate outside of the main game (an underground culture as you may) to hang out and not contribute much to the ever evolving fabric of this game. Now back to addressing the point, while I may not have had much interaction with World Task Force, this is because they have no real public facing individuals who operate on IRC, and from an outside perspective, they appear to have a very cultist attitude.

Sweller, I hereby request you actually "come at me bro" and show that you are able to fight rather than chilling in Peace Mode so please, can you come at us, the guys who are attacking you?

Anyway, hope to hear from you, hugs and kisses, Franz Ferdinand.

Honestly just drop the tough act. If you were actually as tough as you'd like to pretend you'd have made the move on WTF before they were hit by DBDC and their clingers. It's just embarrassing to see you act like you are a hero.

Limited? Not quite. They've organized a front of allied nations to launch illegitimate attacks because WTF won't cave. They've sanctioned WTF nations. The only reason nobody else has been called in yet is because nobody wants to melt their mid-tier on a neutral and the important alliances wouldn't go along with it. It's just simple politics. Killing the upper tier accomplished their mission, and there is no reason to call in backup. So, I'm not ready to give them credit for a "limited" engagement.

Fight for what you believe in? Which is what, exactly? I'd love to see you break this one down.

Bloodpack is a protected alliance, and anyone attacking them has already been threatened by DS (DK?), and they are connected to quite a few alliances. It's quite clear anyone forming a similar brigade would face a massive repercussion. Otherwise, it would have happened.

What exactly has DBDC gotten away with IC and OOC with that was worse than others?

Remember Starfox I've been here since 2006 so I've seen all forms of IC and OOC things going on, and I just don't think DBDC is even in the same league as NPO in the first Hegemony was, nor have they done anything near the worse OOC attacks we have seen here.

Fair enough, NPO and MK were equally bad. DBDC absorbed some of the negative elements from MK, and I won't even discuss the fact that they've gotten away with so much in-game. Although, that particular issue is not solely limited to DBDC by any means, and they may well not be the biggest abuser. Back in the day alot of this stuff would have been handled differently, but at this point the people who run the game and the people who play the game are so lethargic it doesn't even matter.

Edit: Just want to laugh at the post above me. Spare us the moralist bs when you were attacking WTF nations right alongside DBDC. At least they admit to it. Nothing is worse than a snake that thinks they are a lion.

Edited by Starfox101

Honestly just drop the tough act. If you were actually as tough as you'd like to pretend you'd have made the move on WTF before they were hit by DBDC and their clingers. It's just embarrassing to see you act like you are a hero.

Fight for what you believe in? Which is what, exactly? I'd love to see you break this one down.

Bloodpack is a protected alliance, and anyone attacking them has already been threatened by DS (DK?), and they are connected to quite a few alliances. It's quite clear anyone forming a similar brigade would face a massive repercussion. Otherwise, it would have happened..

Kill one man and you are a murderer, kill many and you are a hero. To answer your question, the reason I did not make a move before DBDC hit them is simple: there is strength in numbers and more can be done if it occurred individually. I do not believe anybody would disagree with me on that, otherwise they are simply deluding themselves.

What I am fighting for when it comes to Blood Pack is the accumulation of casualties, helping the World Task Force get a taste of what the rest of the game has gone through in one form or another for the past decade and exposing them to the rest of the game. Nothing wrong with bringing people in from the cold now, is there?

I've already fought against neutrals before, and this can be verified with the Grey Council whom actually started improving their military defences and getting their nations to participate in the Tournament Edition of CyberNations in the guise of the War Doves.

Back to your comment about me "acting like a hero", I'll just give you a quote from Arthur Ashe:

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others
at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost."

I am willing to fight for Blood Pack, and by extension Doombird Doomcave and I am certain for them, their allies and their hangers-on, I could be seen as fulfilling that goal in that I am willing to fight for what I believe is right, no matter how it might be perceived.

Of course Blood Pack is protected, in this day and age you generally have to be haven't you been keeping track, Starfox101? The alliances that the nations who joined Blood Pack are still looking out for them which is understandable in that I sense that once the war with the World Task Force ends these nations will return back with war data that can be shared with their respective governments.

There is nothing stopping alliances opposed to creating their own Blood Pack, a sort of proxy of sorts which I am certain that if people joined that the backers of Blood Pack would be willing to fight it out with Blood Pack without interference apart from foreign aid slots (as has been the case). If a rival brigade was formed, I honestly would not complain and I would be happy to face them man on man, hell it sounds like you would be game for it so why don't you start drumming up support for it?

Believe me, it'd be fun.

Well to be fair. If you do the following, you hear the following:

Defend DBDC: "bandwagoner/lap dog"
Defend WTF: "lol, jump in and back them up with more than just tears"
Defend Neutrals: "where were you when __ and __ were being torn to shreds" also "well they never backed us up"

Attack DBDC: "here lies ___. ???-4/4/2015, Rest in Pepperoni"
Attack WTF: "opportunist/scum/evil/bully"
Attack Neutrals: "meh, serves them right" and "politics are now dead"

Neither side should let it get to them. The victor writes history determines how we see history. Inaction is an action in itself. Yadda yadda yadda.

If it is more than a game then these actions should be a tragedy and not just "oh, man I could be next" like in the original post. A situation like this sets apart those who take the initiative vs those who sit back and stick their head in the sand.

Right now, "come at me bro" has more weight than any complaint here. Of course, I understand that it's stupid for me to expect anyone to charge blindly in someone's defense without a plan. But these raids aren't new and neutrals aren't new either. Those in Blood Pack at least jumped in after a major global war that WTF had no part in and threw away their rebuild period. Existing in a world like Planet Bob, the thought of fighting off more than the occasional 100 NS-1 week old nation should have crossed their mind. They had 9 years to prepare.

Also these tough guy act accusations are funny considering that the critics are doing a moral highground act. Last I checked, it's pretty obvious who is making a scene in this thread. There would be no need for callouts if a reason wasn't given.

Kill one man and you are a murderer, kill many and you are a hero. To answer your question, the reason I did not make a move before DBDC hit them is simple: there is strength in numbers and more can be done if it occurred individually. I do not believe anybody would disagree with me on that, otherwise they are simply deluding themselves.

What I am fighting for when it comes to Blood Pack is the accumulation of casualties, helping the World Task Force get a taste of what the rest of the game has gone through in one form or another for the past decade and exposing them to the rest of the game. Nothing wrong with bringing people in from the cold now, is there?

I've already fought against neutrals before, and this can be verified with the Grey Council whom actually started improving their military defences and getting their nations to participate in the Tournament Edition of CyberNations in the guise of the War Doves.

Back to your comment about me "acting like a hero", I'll just give you a quote from Arthur Ashe:

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.
It is not the urge to surpass all others
at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others at whatever cost."

I am willing to fight for Blood Pack, and by extension Doombird Doomcave and I am certain for them, their allies and their hangers-on, I could be seen as fulfilling that goal in that I am willing to fight for what I believe is right, no matter how it might be perceived.

Of course Blood Pack is protected, in this day and age you generally have to be haven't you been keeping track, Starfox101? The alliances that the nations who joined Blood Pack are still looking out for them which is understandable in that I sense that once the war with the World Task Force ends these nations will return back with war data that can be shared with their respective governments.

There is nothing stopping alliances opposed to creating their own Blood Pack, a sort of proxy of sorts which I am certain that if people joined that the backers of Blood Pack would be willing to fight it out with Blood Pack without interference apart from foreign aid slots (as has been the case). If a rival brigade was formed, I honestly would not complain and I would be happy to face them man on man, hell it sounds like you would be game for it so why don't you start drumming up support for it?

Believe me, it'd be fun.

Unfortunately for your little fantasy, it's already been stated that DS/DK will defend anyone who hits Bloodpack by DS government. In addition, if a rival brigade was formed, there would be far more nations pouring to your side and it would be a massive waste of time and pixels from everyone involved. There's also the issue that anyone not allied to the web of stagnation just took a massive beating. That's just what happens when a dominant web of alliances that are currently in power join together to form a mercenary brigade. Plus, you have vaunted alliances like Sparta on your side. Some of us just simply couldn't fathom fighting a resolute power like Sparta.

You can sit here and act like you'd welcome any 1v1 challenge when in reality you already defeated your own argument when you stated that you waited for numbers before making your move. You are actually attempting to argue this raid is good for WTF. I'm sure their upper tier nations enjoyed losing 30k tech and having numerous friends delete. Some people just don't want to play the political game, and some just like to build. I don't know why you can't understand that.

Like I said before, I can respect DBDC for moving on an alliance that to an extent was quite formidable in their tier. I have no respect for those who join along and attempt to earn some sort of goodwill from DBDC, or are attempting to just kick someone while they are down. It takes no skill to team up with a ton of other nations and attack a neutral alliance.

The people you are currently fighting aren't even fighting back. I'm not sure where the glory is in beating a few inactive nations into deletion.

Edited by Starfox101

That's a bad argument. I don't know, or even care really, what exactly DBDC has or hasn't gotten away with, but saying that it's not as bad IC as NPO was, or not as bad OOC as MK was, doesn't make it any less bad or even scummy. Judge their actions for their actions.

Edit: That's not even just for you Caliph; I just see that argument all the time. It's not even always about DBDC.

Also been a minute buddy, happy Easter. Edited by Gibsonator21

Unfortunately for your little fantasy, it's already been stated that DS/DK will defend anyone who hits Bloodpack by DS government. In addition, if a rival brigade was formed, there would be far more nations pouring to your side and it would be a massive waste of time and pixels from everyone involved. There's also the issue that anyone not allied to the web of stagnation just took a massive beating. That's just what happens when a dominant web of alliances that are currently in power join together to form a mercenary brigade. Plus, you have vaunted alliances like Sparta on your side. Some of us just simply couldn't fathom fighting a resolute power like Sparta.

You can sit here and act like you'd welcome any 1v1 challenge when in reality you already defeated your own argument when you stated that you waited for numbers before making your move. You are actually attempting to argue this raid is good for WTF. I'm sure their upper tier nations enjoyed losing 30k tech and having numerous friends delete. Some people just don't want to play the political game, and some just like to build. I don't know why you can't understand that.

Like I said before, I can respect DBDC for moving on an alliance that to an extent was quite formidable in their tier. I have no respect for those who join along and attempt to earn some sort of goodwill from DBDC, or are attempting to just kick someone while they are down. It takes no skill to team up with a ton of other nations and attack a neutral alliance.

The people you are currently fighting aren't even fighting back. I'm not sure where the glory is in beating a few inactive nations into deletion.

Now it's not my fault that a global war happened prior to this raid and people are burnt out as a result now, is it? I believe most of the people which make up the Blood Pack fought in that war as well and they are still ready to put on a fight.

It really isn't an argument if it's a matter of common sense. In war, you generally attack when the odds are in your favour or weak (just like the New Polar Order did in the Disorder War which you took part in). A key part of the game and the reason many play is that it includes a war function (which if you want to ignore, you might as well go and play a certain other game out there which removes war altogether). War is what defined and shape this game, and if the World Task Force gets burnt, then that's on them for not adapting to the times.

If they don't want to play the political game then fine, but at least have someone in charge who is willing to sign agreements so that they can be properly safeguarded or at least teach their nations how to defend themselves when they get attacked.

Nwo Starfox in relation to having respect for Doombird Doomcave and none for Blood Pack, fair enough that's your opinion and I can't really change that. The thing is though that this game is also built around curbstomps and please don't deny you were not part of any because we both know that is a lie. Also in terms of your use of the word "skill", it does take a little to make sure you don't mess up your war attacks but I think most would just call that "experience".

Some do fight back with token gestures (Nintendo of Nintendo Land I must commend though for actually fighting back properly) so if they aren't really giving me a challenge then that's on them. Who said anything about glory? For me, it's a duty for me to go out and rid the game of inactive nations so that only the strong survive, just like Darwin told the world in "On the Origin of Species". To do otherwise would be letting the rot set into the game and result in a degradation of the game further.