Name That War: NpO-TSO

RevolutionaryRebel

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo.... the favorites seem to be Disorder War, Order upon Order and Order on Order... what's it going to be? just throw up a poll with a fourth option of "other"?

Maybe give three poll category options since there are so many variations (these were the three I thought were leading):

1. Something involving the word "Disorder"

2, Something involving }Order on/upon/vs. Order"

3. Something involving "Following Orders"

Once the category is selected, people can then vote on specifics.  For example, if 1 polled highest, the next poll would be:

1. Order Upon Order

2. Order On Order

3. Order on Order on Order

Maybe give three poll category options since there are so many variations (these were the three I thought were leading):

Once the category is selected, people can then vote on specifics.  For example, if 1 polled highest, the next poll would be:
1. Order Upon Order
2. Order On Order

The ones i mentioned are the ones most agreed upon in this thread. "following orders" and "order on order on order" weren't any of them :P The three i listed were the most popular. instead of giving extra options lets keep it relatively narrow so as to not spread out the votes.

I think Walsh's idea makes more since. I wouldn't "spread out" the votes -- there's still only 3 options.

1. Order Upon Order

2. Order On Order

I'd like GW# for continuity's sake, but it seems hard to justify since we didn't stick with the GW# formula for previous large scale wars.

I like Disorder, Following Orders, and OoO/OuO. I will say, though, that OoO sounds better to say while OuO looks better. Both the OoO and OuO options sound less than ideal when spoken in a sentence.

Note how LAME all of these sound: 

"Remember during the Order on Order War how we...?"

"You know who really sucked it up during Order upon Order?" 

"We kicked some major tail during Order on Order."

"My favorite thing about the Order upon Order War was that..."

Edited by Farnsworth

The ones i mentioned are the ones most agreed upon in this thread. "following orders" and "order on order on order" weren't any of them :P The three i listed were the most popular. instead of giving extra options lets keep it relatively narrow so as to not spread out the votes.

I just worry that if Order upon Order and Order on Order are on the ballot, they are so similar that they will split the vote giving it to Disorder War.

I like the latter better myself, but If we get the category first, then we can drill down to the exact title.

I like Disorder, Following Orders, and OoO/OuO. I will say, though, that OoO sounds better to say while OuO looks better. Both the OoO and OuO options sound less than ideal when spoken in a sentence.

Note how LAME all of these sound: 

"Remember during the Order on Order War how we...?"

"You know who really sucked it up during Order upon Order?" 

"We kicked some major tail during Order on Order."

"My favorite thing about the Order upon Order War was that..."

Wow, you're right.  I think OvO (Order vs. Order) woks better than all of those. Try it in the sentences.

I like War of the Orders. To me, this is a conflict between Polar, Pacifica, and the Sith. Everyone else is incidental. That is the core of this war, so it makes a good name.

What many of you don't get about war names is, comedy usually doesn't work. Puns, too long of names, weird capitalization, it doesn't work. Short, fairly neutral, but representative of the conflict (or the core of why it started). The whole "disorder" thing doesn't work as well, as there is no real disorder about it. It was quite orderly actually, both in the dictionary term sense, and in terms of how our alliances operate. So, if the war isn't disorderly, then the name is simply a bad pun (or whatever) and therefore is meaningless.

Edited by RandomInterrupt

Hey Random how about the Entropy War?  It fits your criteria of being short, neutral, representative and doesn't have a shred of comedy or a whiff of pun.

The definition seems to fit rather well as well:

en·tro·py ˈentrəpē noun

1. a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's
thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as
the degree of disorder
or randomness in the system.

2. lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.
Edited by LeonidasRexII

Hey Random how about the Entropy War?  It fits your criteria of being short, neutral, representative and doesn't have a shred of comedy or a whiff of pun.

The definition seems to fit rather well as well:

en·tro·py ˈentrəpē noun

1. a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's

thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as
the degree of disorder
or randomness in the system.

2. lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.

You'd have to provide a definition of "entropy" in the war's description to help our various elementary school-aged people.

I like War of the Orders. To me, this is a conflict between Polar, Pacifica, and the Sith. Everyone else is incidental. That is the core of this war, so it makes a good name.

No. Not really. But I am guessing that is how we are going to call it.