A Briefest Comment on RIA

Ardus

[quote name='Ivan Moldavi' timestamp='1322712036' post='2857584']
This is true in most situations.

Also, hello.
[/quote]
I think it's the name. Let's test this out.

John Smith bought a dog. (I'm now picturing like a beagle or a jack russel terrier or a golden retriever or something)

Ivan Moldavi bought a dog. (I'm picturing something that's a cross between a Rottweiler and a Great Dane).

Yep, the name just makes anything you do more interesting than if other people do it.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1322714023' post='2857628']
Is that SF's official stance on this war? Let those who have already entered to defend polar try to wear down IRON and then "see how things are going"? I had heard rumors of such, but when you put it like that, it somehow sounds even more slimy.[/quote]

Even I wouldn't wish that on STA and UPN. What a shame.

[quote name='Delta1212' timestamp='1322714496' post='2857636']
I think it's the name. Let's test this out.

John Smith bought a dog. (I'm now picturing like a beagle or a jack russel terrier or a golden retriever or something)

Ivan Moldavi bought a dog. (I'm picturing something that's a cross between a Rottweiler and a Great Dane).

Yep, the name just makes anything you do more interesting than if other people do it.
[/quote]
Just decided to skip straight to the "happy ending," huh?

[quote name='WalkerNinja' timestamp='1322710532' post='2857551']
The war is already taking a toll on RIA without any actual combat:

Is it any wonder they want no part?
[/quote]
I thought TOP was good with game mechanics. Have you guys still not found the 'secret war' function?

[quote name='Ardus' timestamp='1322714600' post='2857640']
Just decided to skip straight to the "happy ending," huh?
[/quote]
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. I've just always liked Ivan's name.

Or are all of my posts supposed to be gravely serious walls of text right now?

[quote name='chefjoe' timestamp='1322714410' post='2857632']
So the new way to war on planet bob is to do the math, and if it comes up looking bad, just claim that you understood you would be hit quickly by larger alliances better connected then you thusly the path to victory is to not war at all and claim it was a strategy all along?

ah I love the smell of e-lawyers in the morning, smells kinda like victory......or !@#$.....one of the two anyhow :ehm:
[/quote]
I thought the new way to war was to do the math, and if it comes up looking bad, just issue a declaration stating that you are willing to let your allies burn because your treaty is non-chaining and you don't feel like declaring war?
It's funny how popular citing non-chaining clauses have become in the last couple of wars.

[quote name='Trinite' timestamp='1322706326' post='2857476']
I assume they are waiting nearly two years in order to rebuild and forge new friendships, amid fierce competition, until it is finally time. amirite?
[/quote]
What the hell a Sparta post made me laugh. Weird.

I mean, uh, you suck, etc.

[quote name='James Dahl' timestamp='1322673371' post='2857071']
There is actually no way for us to activate this treaty without Polar requesting assistance.
We could always just attack anyways I guess.
[/quote]
"As such, an attack of any kind on one is considered a valid casus belli that must be acted upon by the other."

[quote name='SpacingOutMan' timestamp='1322701039' post='2857393']
Hindsight isn't 20/20... [i]yet[/i]. Though I don't necessarily understand all the hooplah; most of you have waited almost three-quarters of a year for [i]this[/i] war. Admin forbid you have to wait a little extra time -- obviously I'm not in RIA and I am not privy to their internal discussions but I'd imagine (given their track record) they are good for their word?
[/quote]
Wait, so you're saying that they haven't been in contact with their allies about what's going on? Not buying it.

[quote name='Delta1212' timestamp='1322702808' post='2857419']
You can continue to tell me I'm hiding to protect my pixels, and I'll continue to roll my eyes at you. We've pretty well established over the last three years or so that stats aren't to be valued. The rather strong emphasis on this fact is a natural and justified response to the tragically, or hilariously depending on your perspective, stupid way in which alliances used to positively trip over themselves in order to abandon people that were about to get rolled, dropping treaties literally either immediately before or even after the war declarations. That sort of behavior has been effectively eradicated on the systemic level, regardless of what insults people like to bandy about during war time. What passes for cowardice now looks like heroism compared to what used to be the socially expected behavior back in the day. But the extreme blowback against that time still exists years after the culture has fundamentally changed.[/quote]
No need to rush to cancel a treaty when people have discovered that they can choose to just ignore it and say that they weren't "asked" to enter. Slightly different method, same result.

It also begs the question of why you would sign a MDP with Polar in these circumstances with this war coming when you didn't intend to use it.

[quote name='Azaghul' timestamp='1322716436' post='2857667']
"As such, an attack of any kind on one is considered a valid casus belli that must be acted upon by the other."
[/quote]
All this really proves is that everyone is incompetent and no one reads the treaties that they sign any more, even when it's a military treaty on the eve of a war.

We should all keep in minds folks, that RIA has lost almost half a million in Nation Strength before a single nuke has been thrown. No doubt they are concerned what will happen when people actually start shooting at them.

[quote name='Kowalski' timestamp='1322698332' post='2857371']
I see a lot of butthurt (either that or crummy attempts at amateur psychology) here because SF aren't getting drawn into this as quickly as some would like. Patience, people, patience.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with this guy here. Besides, isn't this whole war about IRON and TOP getting revenge anyway? :v:

[quote name='RePePe' timestamp='1322690226' post='2857267']

OOC: P.S. That's a cute sig and all, but it becomes a little embarrassing when you realize the Tin Man was made of...you guessed it... [s]iron[/s] tin.
[/quote]

Yet he couldn't move because of the rust and tin ... doesn't rust.. bizarre. I'm having this weird suspicion the creators of this movie tried to make us believe something that wasn't 100% true.. :o My best guess is that he was actually made of some sort of tin covered iron. But hey, try again ;)

[quote name='memoryproblems' timestamp='1322714023' post='2857628']

Is that SF's official stance on this war? Let those who have already entered to defend polar try to wear down IRON and then "see how things are going"? I had heard rumors of such, but when you put it like that, it somehow sounds even more slimy.

[/quote]

No.. the general strategy used during wars is let's think and look at our options maybe theres a better way to help our ally then to just honor a treaty because its there, even though they really don't need the extra back-up at the moment on the alliances attacking them.

You should try it some time.

Yah that baffles me as well. It's not like it was a secret. If i had been in RIA gov i would have prepared the alliance for a global conflict before i announced the treaty as to be ready to defend your word the second it is publically known.

Nothing had been more obvious since the invention of sliced bread.

RIA is the easy target here, but I do wonder how much of the delay owes to them, and how much owes to the coalition behind them. They aren't a new alliance, and there's little doubt that they are aware that signing a MD-level treaty and then opting not to invoke it in the same week is the sort of thing that leaves an indelible mark on one's reputation; I cannot imagine that they signed it without being prepared to act when TOP followed through.

On the "we have a NAP with IRON and don't match up range-wise with TOP" front...if that's the key stumbling block, is there anyone who'd make for a more optimal opponent? If so, perhaps something can be arranged. :ehm:

Essentially, Polar is down 1mil NS and RIA and friends are too busy thinking and/or are too incompetent to do a damn thing. Meanwhile, Delta rolls his eyes because [i]what the hell[/i]. I'll be sure to follow this thread just to see how various SF guys try to justify leaving their ally to rot.

[quote name='EgoFreaky' timestamp='1322720081' post='2857884']
even though they really don't need the extra back-up at the moment on the alliances attacking them.
[/quote]
http://www.cybernations.net/stats_alliance_stats_custom.asp?View=Charts&Alliance=New%20Polar%20Order

[quote name='EgoFreaky' timestamp='1322720081' post='2857884']
even though they really don't need the extra back-up at the moment on the alliances attacking them.
[/quote]
http://www.cybernations.net/stats_alliance_stats_custom.asp?View=Charts&Alliance=New%20Polar%20Order

Ego, my friend, Tell me, with how the stats are stacked presently, who do you think will win?

[quote name='lebubu' timestamp='1322733591' post='2858073']
Essentially, Polar is down 1mil NS and RIA and friends are too busy thinking and/or are too incompetent to do a damn thing. Meanwhile, Delta rolls his eyes because [i]what the hell[/i]. I'll be sure to follow this thread just to see how various SF guys try to justify leaving their ally to rot.
[/quote]
they will defeat us with forced jokes about blue balls

The irony here is that the people who could rightifuly call out RIA, their allies, NpO, have no problem with RIA's course of action. And the people yelling like a rejected teenager, are the guys who support the attack against NpO.

On a normal place, a lynching mob would not complain about the bystanders not stepping in to help the lynched. But Planet Bob is not a normal place.

In any case, by opening this thread in the OWF, Ardus has definitely proven that MK is craving to use this war as a excuse to drag XX and SF into the field. Something they have been craving for a long time. Why they don't go for it straight, like TOP just did with NpO, remains still behind the shadows. The words "[i]need to mobilize enough meatshields to take the blunt of the battle and avoid hurting my mushroom-shaped nails[/i]" come to my mind.

Anyway I'm glad to see Ardus playing his hand so openly.

Edited by Krashnaia

[quote name='Krashnaia' timestamp='1322736606' post='2858091']
The irony here is that the people who could rightifuly call out RIA, their allies, NpO, have no problem with RIA's course of action. And the people yelling like a rejected teenager, are the guys who support the attack against NpO.

On a normal place, a lynching mob would not complain about the bystanders not stepping in to help the lynched. But Planet Bob is not a normal place.

In any case, by opening this thread in the OWF, Ardus has definitely proven that MK is craving to use this war as a excuse to drag XX and SF into the field. Something they have been craving for a long time. Why they don't go for it straight, like TOP just did with NpO, remains still behind the shadows. The words "[i]need to mobilize enough meatshields to take the blunt of the battle and avoid hurting my mushroom-shaped nails[/i]" come to my mind.

[/quote]
these subtle taunts will goad us into a pre-emptive strike eventually

[quote name='Krashnaia' timestamp='1322736606' post='2858091']
In any case, by opening this thread in the OWF, Ardus has definitely proven that MK is craving to use this war as a excuse to drag XX and SF into the field. Something they have been craving for a long time. Why they don't go for it straight, like TOP just did with NpO, remains still behind the shadows. The words "need to mobilize enough meatshields to take the blunt of the battle and avoid hurting my nails" come to my mind.

[/quote]

Ardus has been doing this for the past eight months. A fact I doubt will be disputed by many, if any. It should be noted that he no longer holds the official position he did in order to further that goal. As someone who put considerable time and effort into preventing those endeavors from happening when he did, I do enjoy the "I just want to see if anyone can stop me," mantra having receded into the "I know I've failed to do it on my own, but maybe if I advertise the steel bear-trap you might step into it," routine that has worked oh so well in previous time trotted out yet again.

I don't know how many times I pulled people aside and explained if they didn't telegraph their punches, they might actually land a knockout.

What RIA does is up to RIA. Technically, all of XX has cause to enter on Polaris' behalf as it shares an oDaP via Article VI. Chaining/Non-Chaining can be spun upside down and every which way. That said, this war literally has nothing to do with XX and the only physical treaty is optional. While all the fuss is about the fact that RIA signed this "short term," MDP that would seem to exist for this sole purpose, I haven't seen anywhere that Polaris has requested or even wants RIA to enter on its behalf at this time. I can't say I wouldn't mind fighting some cactuars, or other forces given some of the mobilization orders out there....but the whole demonizing and baiting routine was old several years ago. It simply doesn't work.

This isn't a video game, there are no set : If X then Y. In some seeds, Poland's independence isn't guarenteed by the United Kingdom if you act quick enough.

This war is about revenge for the blatant betrayal paid unto multiple alliances, alliances whom have made no secret of their intent for some time. That some would rather leave this vengeance limited to the offending party and a select few does not really bother me, less so that it might have those selected for slaughter's' blessing.

Everyone just relax and have fun. The party might get bigger, it might not. Until then, enjoy the fireworks. If you don't like them, don't knockem. They're expensive. Besides, everyone certainly has the capacity to set their own off if they wished.

(Sentence structure. I really love comma's.)

Edited by IYIyTh