Pacific News Network International: Issue 15

Letum

[center][img]http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr139/Atlis14/NPO/pnn-1.png[/img]

[b]PNN International Issue #15[/b]
[i]"She took our money, the car, the house, but she didn't take our pens."[/i][/center]

[size="4"][b][u]This edition features:[/u][/b][/size]
Why your wars have given us Blue Balls.
NPO's Halloween!
A short Classical Education on all the latin terms you thow around.
What do a bunch of people think of the new NPO?
Why do we even fight wars anyway?
NPO's August Revolution - why it's more than the eccentric roleplaying you think it is.

[center]--****--

This publication is 10 times cooler when read at our nice black backdrop forums, located over [url="http://pacificorder.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=125864"][u]here[/u][/url]

--****--[/center]

[center][img]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/3099/npoblueballs.png[/img][/center]

[center][size="4"][b]Blue Balls[/b][/size][/center]

As the Cyber Nations community eagerly watches both the Legion-Tetris War, as they watched the NG-SOS団 War, a small but increasingly vocal minority cries out for greater involvement from other alliances. The Legion-Tetris War has remained contained, particularly since Legion has thus far refrained from invoking any of its defense treaties, recent moves by larger players to provide aid and support have been interpreted as more than mere sabrerattling. The NG-SOS団 War did not see SOS activate its mutual defense treaty with Invicta, and so prevented any escalation. Should Invicta have entered the conflict, its treaty with Legion might see the two conflicts unite into one, the first step in drawing in larger alliances. The potential for either conflict, or both, escalating into a wider war, with the initial conflict merely serving as a trigger, was ever present.

But will these conflicts really escalate? The Non Grata-United Purple Nations War, which ended the day before the Legion-Tetris war began, also had the potential to escalate, with Non Grata being a significant signatory of the Animal House Accords that led to the founding of the Pandora's Box bloc, and United Purple Nations a signatory of the Sentinel bloc as well as allied with the New Polar Order. But the conflict was limited, without any treaty activations, and the war ended in four days, with final reparations amounting to a mere [i]SIX MILLION[/i] dollars. Yet another disappointment.

We move back a step, to the Olympus-AcTi War, which occurred during the last five days of July. AcTi did not recieve any support from Death Before Dishonor, a Victory Not Vengeance bloc member that has ties to The Phoenix Federation and Nusantara Elite Warriors. Olympus refrained from activating its PEACE bloc or NPO treaties. Once again, wider war was averted.

In fact, if we look through the conflicts from the past six months, there hasn't been a major war since the Doomhouse-New Pacific Order War that ended back in May. In reverse order, we have:
NG-SOS団 War, thirteen days, no escalation
Legion-Tetris War, on-going and the longest-lasting of the non-escalated wars to date.
NG-UPN War - four days, no escalation
Olympus-AcTi War - five days, no escalation
SOS団-NsO War - one day, no escalation
R&R-UINE War - two days, no escalation

What is the end result of so many wars that seem ready to escalate, and fail to do so? Blue balls. Our deadly payloads are locked in and ready to be launched, but the constant teasing and denying of our ultimate satisfaction means frayed tempers and willingness to get the job done. Being brought to the brink time and time again means that our delivery systems become overworked, as nations prepare for and then stand down from war. Ultimately, nations and alliances will become temperamental and overtly seek or manufacture confrontations in order to create the necessary [i]casus belli[/i] for a declaration of war.

So please, for the sake of our nations, our children (Oh Lord think of the children!), and most importantly for our balls, escalate those wars. Provoke confrontations. Launch nukes first and ask questions never. War, war, war. For all our sakes.

Written by Oranges
The Pacific Press - A jackboot on the pulse of world events.
Proudly Part of PNN

[center][img]http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt89/MichailLPT/halloween-spooky-tree.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][size="4"][b]How NPO Celebrated Halloween[/b][/size][/center]

Above all else, Halloween represents two time honoured traditions for Pacificans.

Wearing a disguise, and hunting zombies. Usually taking the form of wearing a disguise whilst hunting zombies. Which can lead to a few unfortunate situations when the odd Pacifican chooses a more grotesque form to wear. Fortunately, our wise Imperial Leadership has ensured that any costume choices that cause misunderstandings are banned, despite vociferous complaints from Squintus that he was not wearing a costume at all.

The choices of wear are a testament to the sad, pathetic and shut-in lives that much of the Pacific's most active and senior members lead, with many choosing to dress as comic book characters. Curiously enough the comics they come from have never been published on Planet Bob, and “readers” claim they have seen them in dreams that glimpse into alternate dimensions. As a completely unrelated side-note, queries as to the disappearance of the Econ Department's “happy smoke” supply have been met with no comment.

One thing that has definitely been real however, is zombies. They are here. And there. Everywhere. There could be one outside your door right now. The only way to defeat them is to strike first. To grab the nearest weapon or blunt instrument, charge outside your door shouting, and hit everything in sight. That is what a Pacifican would do, and is at the core of our master survival strategy. Other alliances are constrained by faux ideals such as mercy and confirming the status of a target. For even the most casual movie-watcher, there is nothing to confirm. That nice old lady coming up the stairs? Definitely a zombie. That family of four walking along the corridor? Definitely bitten, no need to confirm anything. That cute girl outside your door? Does the phrase “too good to be true” mean anything to you folk?

But one thing we tell our soldiers, from war veteran to scared conscript, is that they are never alone. For whomever aspires to our guidelines, it is easy to recognize a fellow warrior. They will be the ones who try and kill you first. Zombies do not do “combat”. Infected people might try and deceive you. Rotting people might try and stagger towards you to eat your brains. But combat? Combat is the domain of a soldier, and rotting corpses are not soldiers.

Naturally, this complex identification ritual of “let's kill each other”, can sometimes lead to little accidents. But losing a few body parts in an honoured death duel with a comrade is much preferable to having them bitten off by a zombie, particularly due to the lack of infection. And as for the other guy? His spirit will live on in memory. Besides, there's loads of people who claim none of this is real anyway, and we all reside within some artificial world. Then again, it is dreamers like that who get eaten first.

Regardless, if there is one positive note about this year's zombie hunting, it is that the number of participants doubled from last year. That is, without doubt, a testament to the Pacific's dark and grim future in the post-apocalyptic world. When all else fails, we will bury those who have eaten you. In a huge mound. After burning them.

Written by Letum
Proudly Part of PNN

[center][img]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2599/classicaleducationnpo.png[/img][/center]

[center][size="4"][b]A Classical Education[/b][/size]
[/center]
Nearly every Cyber Nations member knows of the term [i]casus belli[/i], the Latin term meaning "case for war" or "incident causing war". Normally, alliances will list out their [i]casus belli[/i] when declaring war, to provide justification for why they are engaging in conflict. The purpose of this article is to introduce a few new concepts to the Cyber Nations world.

This idea of the need to provide justification stems from the idea of [i]jus ad bellum[/i], or "the right to wage war". The idea of a 'just war' guides when a nation can and cannot declare war. For a just war to be declared, there are six primary considerations:
1. Just cause: the notion that the reason that you are going to war is legitimate; generally speaking, a war is only just if declared in self defense or if in defense of an ally.
2. Proper authority: that war can only be declared by a recognised sovereign authority
3. Right intention: that war is declared not for ulterior motives or gain, but for the purposes of righting a wrong.
4. Reasonable prospect of success: that any authority declaring war declares it in the belief that it has a reasonable chance of victory, rather than declaring war from a position of overwhelming inferiority.
5. Proportionality: that a declaration of war is a proportional and appropriate response to the initial grievance; thus, a state of war for an attempted assassination of the national leader would be accepted, while war for a mapping party from the military accidentally crossing the border would not be.
6. Last resort: war is only declared as a last resort, when all other avenues of resolution have been exhausted.

These six guidelines should be consulted by any alliance before going to war, as a checklist to ensure that they are indeed engaging in a just war, a legitimate war, a war that any reasonable opponent would find no reason to oppose.

However, in the Cyber Nations universe, the term [i]casus belli[/i] is often used incorrectly. An alternate term is [i]casus foederis[/i], meaning "case of the alliance". Technically, [i]casus belli[/i] refers to war declared in self-defense, whereas coming to the aid of an ally who has been attacked is [i]casus foederis[/i].

Speaking of treaties, there also exists the principle of [i]pacta sunt servanda[/i], "agreements must be kept". Between alliances, treaty obligations exist on the foundation of good faith; should one alliance fail to meet its obligations then it is a breach of the pact, and can be punished for inaction when action is required, unless the treaty specifically states that certain clauses are optional. [i]Pacta sunt servanda[/i] can be negated by the opposing principle of [i]clausula rebus sic stantibus[/i], or "things thus standing", which refers to the idea that treaties can become inapplicable due to changes of circumstances. This principle is only relevant when circumstances change in ways that were not originally concieved by the signatories; if a change of circumstances has been written into the treaty, then its provisions take effect rather than [i]clausula rebus sic stantibus [/i]. Alliances cannot unilaterally declare a treaty null and void due to [i]clausula rebus sic stantibus [/i]; rather, it can be used as justification for joint termination or modification of a treaty. As this principle is rarely addressed in modern treaties but is one of the few ways in which an alliance may opt out, it would be of immense future benefit if alliances do in fact include change of circumstances clauses in addition to existing termination clauses when drafting treaties.

When providing justification for war, the idea of [i]semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit[/i] applies, that is to say, "the burden of proof lies with the claimant". If an alliance claims that they have been spied upon as their [i]casus belli[/i], then they must provide proof to support that claim. The form of the evidence may vary in Cyber Nations from screenshots to chat logs to forum posts, but a claim that is given without proof is unsuited for the purposes of [i]jus ad bellum[/i]. It is for this reason that many alliances will seek to manufacture or doctor evidence if it is lacking, in order to legitimise their position to friend and foe alike. When making a claim, one may use [i]prout patet per recordum[/i], "as appears on the record", to show that a claim is supported by evidence.

In specific cases, [i]volenti non fit injuria[/i], "no harm is done to a willing person", can come into effect when considering justifications of war. If a nation or alliance purposely and knowingly engages in action which may result in their harm, then they cannot blame the other party or claim innocence of fault. For example, if an alliance were to engage in techraiding or spying upon another alliance, then the aggressive party cannot claim to be blameless or free from fault.

Another possible justification for war, especially expansion/escalation of war, is [i]qui facit per alium facit per se[/i], "he who acts through another does the act himself". If an alliance pushes an ally to declare war on a third alliance, then the victim alliance is perfectly within its rights to expand its declaration of just war to include the original alliance. This can also be within an alliance, for example if a member nation performs an act such as spying or techraiding on the orders of a superior, then the superior is also guilty.

In the previous example, if an alliance has been pushed into action against its will by means of threats, then [i]per minas[/i], "by means of menace", is a valid defense of duress to indicate innocence. Thus if an alliance has been blackmailed into launching a war, then it can claim [i]per minas[/i] as a degree of blamelessness, due to the need for personal security.

The final form of justification that shall be covered is [i]hostis humani generis[/i], "enemy of mankind", which states that certain individuals are beyond legal protection, and can be attacked in any manner by any party regardless of whether or not that party has been directly affected. Within the bounds of Cyber Nations, this generally applies only to nuclear rogues, rogues, or ghosts, however due to their widespread proliferation, especially at lower rankings, alliances generally only deal with such nations on an [i]ad hoc[/i] basis. One notable exception is the Crusades by the Holy Roman Empire to clear the Grey sphere of rogue nations.

When waging war, alliances may aim for a state of [i]dellebatio[/i] ("warring down) in their enemies, more specifically the complete destruction of an enemy alliance, often signified by the dissolution of said alliance, the deletion of enemy nations, or the relegation of enemy nations to zero infrastructure, depending upon the warring nation. Such a goal seeks to remove the threat that the enemy may one day rebuild and return for a new confrontation, possibly when the alliance is at a weaker position, hence requiring that said future threat is removed in its entirety.

Within an alliance at war, it is often necessary for a degree of member freedom to be suspended in order to improve the efficiency by which that alliance is able to fight its enemies. Such a suspension may be referred to as [i]inter arma enim silent leges[/i], "when in arms, laws fall mute". Such an suspension stems from the need to guarantee the safety of the majority, even at the expense of the individual. This is not a reference to allow normal interalliance treaties to be abandoned; [i]inter arma enim silent leges[/i] applies only to individuals member freedoms within an alliance.

When considering reparations in the aftermath of a war, alliances may choose to seek [i]restitutio in integrum[/i], a "restoration to original condition". This means that compensation must given to make good not only what was lost, but to restore the victor to the condition he would have been in if the war had not occured at all; the vanquished must not only pay an equivalent amount of compensation for the victor's lost infrastructure, land, technology, money, and the value of any military, but also the earnings that the victor would have recieved if the war had not occured, such as increased debt, reduced tax collections, tech deals and the like. Thus this principle seeks to redress not only the damage caused, but the flow-on effects that the war has had on the victor.

Furthermore, the victor may choose to apply [i]uti possidetis, ita possideatis[/i], "as you possess, you shall posssess henceforth", to any gains that he has made. Thus, under [i]uti possidetis, ita possideatis[/i], a victor retains any technology, land or money that he has gained during the course of the war unless stipulated otherwise in a peace treaty. The victor may also elect to take such earnings as spoils of war, on top of any other reparations to be made, or he can choose to deduct any gains from the final recompensation cost.

Finally, nations and alliances must ensure that any claims that they make are within a reasonable time after an incident as occured. Under [i]vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit[/i], "equity aids the vigilant, not the sleeping", failure to assert one's rightful claim within a reasonable timeframe means that that claim has been voided. This is generally only accepted if this delay has been to await a worsening of the other's position, such that the claimant is able to gain an unfair advantage that has been brought about solely by waiting for more fortituous circumstances. If, for example, an alliance defeats another alliance but does not claim reparations immediately, instead waiting until the losing alliance has recovered economically such that the victor can claim [i]restitutio in integrum[/i] rather than a lesser amount, then the loser would be justified in claiming [i]vigilantibus non dormientibus æquitas subvenit[/i].

Study well, nations of Planet Bob. It may be you that is on the recieving end of one of these principles in the near future!

Written by Oranges
Proudly Part of PNN

[center][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/billie_joe34/GATNPO.jpg[/img]
Propaganda from the GATO-NPO Unity Covenant of 2006.
Please note that GATO is not actually featured in this article.
And yes, this is GATO's old flag. [/center]

[center][size="4"][b]Words from Abroad[/b][/size]
[/center]
Ever since the end of the Doomhouse-NPO War, the New Pacific Order has embarked on a new Foreign Affairs direction. Under the leadership of the Dragon Emperor Mary, Regent Brehon, and Foreign Affairs Imperial Officer Farrin, the New Pacific Order has worked hard to open friendly relations with various alliances across Planet Bob. The New Pacific Order's peaceful development has to come hand-in-hand with cautious re-integration with foreign alliances. There were concrete results. We have upgraded an Optional Defense Pact with The Imperial Order to a Mutual Defense Pact. We have signed an Optional Defense Pact with The Last Remnants, whose constituent alliances before its formation have been diametrically opposite us on the treaty web in the Karma War. And we have re-signed a PIAT with the only alliance older than ours- the Global Alliance and Treaty Organization.

However, treaty-signing is not the main bulk of our work. The Diplomatic Corps of the New Pacific Order is dedicated to talking to as many alliances as possible, whether they are interested in intimate relations or in casual diplomatic banter. Recently, the Media Corps and the Diplomatic Corps have co-operated to gather fresh views on the New Pacific Order from alliances belonging to various parts of the treaty web:

From DemonSpawn, R&R President:

[quote]
Personally I like NPO moreso now then I have ever before. While I also understand that there are some people in our GA that are leary of NPO due to its past, I sincerely hope we can continue the friendsips we've gained, and contiue getting closer.
[/quote]

From The Last Remnants:

[quote]
Well, you guys suck. Like if there was a suck meter you guys would break it from sucking so much.

Nah truthfully I think you are an honest bunch. I think you are a group that plays CN for fun, most of the members who played to "win" ditched you guys after KARMA, and this makes you a loveable bunch. You guys seemed to hop onboard our suggest jokes, and while you don't bash on Rush enough for my liking you seem to be a group that knows how to joke around. You have already shown that you do want to be on the same "side" as us, which is good. It shows that you are ready to grow again but you hold no grudges, that's something the "old" NPO could never accomplish.[/quote]

From TheDon125, Chancellor of FEAR:

[quote]
As a former NAAC member, I'll say you've changed from back in 2006/2007, mostly for the better.[/quote]

From Myth, MHA Triumvir:

[quote]
you know. At first I found it strange that others would attempt to state their actions were designed on some property of the NPO being evil, and that they needed a "clean slate." I've found it even more strange that Pacifica has openly stated that it needed one. I think it makes things easier, but I've never seen NPO as owing a damn alliance, certainly not the alliances attempting to pay it lip service at the moment anything.
[/quote]

Bob Ilyani, RoK Regent:

[quote]
In all seriousness, though, it's nice to see this new side of Pacifica. You guys have certainly gotten your just desserts for what you did before Karma, and I'm personally glad to see you enter mainstream CN politics again. You are much better and more competent than the majority of the other Ex-Heg alliances and it's good to see you get the attention and chance to succeed that you deserve.[/quote]

Feibelman, Legion senior diplomat:

[quote]
<Feibelman> when i was gov, i fought hard for our treaty
<Feibelman> i even joined briefly
<Feibelman> there's very few of the viceroy hardliners still active
[/quote]

FinnishCommie, ODN Secretary of State

[quote]
<FinnishCommie> You know NPO were in the same situation as polar is now before the last war pretty much
<FinnishCommie> you've gotten out of the hate-zone quite well
<FinnishCommie> And I guess youve managed to broadcast a sort of "harmless" image for sime time now
<FinnishCommie> Though Id guess the most important factor is that all the big npo haters realized yyou really weren't hegemonistic anymore
[/quote]

Written by DonVox
Proudly Part of PNN

[center][img]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4618/whywar.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][size="4"][b]Why war?[/b][/size][/center]

Why is it that some people in the Cyber Nations community so eagerly bay for conflict? Is it because they like to fight? Is it possible that there's some economic gain in it for them? Or is it, as Alfred Pennyworth said in [i]The Dark Knight[/i], because "...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."?

Take a look at Legion's ongoing conflict against Tetris and its allies. Both sides have lost in excess of 2 million nation strength each, and over what? A slur? A screenshot? An alliance that stood up for its member and refused to back down? Lost dignity? Old rivalry? Does any of it really matter? Two weeks, and most will have forgotten. Two months, and people will wonder why they fought. Two years, and it will be but a footnote to history. What use will dignity be then?

That is not to say that war is a bad thing; no, war is good. Or, to be more precise, war is good when it is fought for good reasons. Being attacked, that's a good reason. Violated sovereignty, a good reason. Treaty agreements in aid of an ally, a good reason. But dignity? Honour? Pride? These are not reasons for war, they are precursors to failure.

What's the point of not fighting petty wars? You build up, you grow. You make allies, and enemies. And then, when the [b]real[/b] fireworks start, everyone has their own little [u]nuclear[/u] firecracker to throw in. Much, [i]much[/i] prettier. If you want the world to burn, make it [i]really[/i] burn.

Written by Oranges
Proudly Part of PNN

[center][img]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5792/revhdr.png[/img]
[size="4"][b]The August Revolution and what it means.[/b][/size][/center]

What was the August Revolution, and why does something that happened eight years ago and in another universe have such a lasting effect on the culture of the New Pacific Order?

The August Revolution was the period in which the New Pacific Order was born. In 2003, in another realm, Francos Spain secured the delegacy of The Pacific in a conflict that resulted in his victory and in the establishment of the New Pacific Order. When the New Pacific Order migrated to Cyber Nations, the tradition of celebrating this date continued, becoming a time for reflection and celebration of the previous year’s work and important events.

Why is this important? Because it both informs and entertains. We educate the newer members of the order by informing them of the Order’s history, both recent and distant, and help them become more understanding of what the Order stands for. For the elder members, we have reminders of fun times, of Pacificans gone before and of wars and events in which they themselves participated.

There is also a practical side to the celebrations. Part of the celebrations includes an annual report from every department, which allows them to identify what progress has been made over the past year, and find areas that can be improved, and members who can be rewarded. Where others might do their process of yearly evaluation in January, we conduct ours in August. This is more than mere symbolism; doing this process during a time of so much fanfare encourages the most radical of restructures. The most radical of questioning. During this review, nothing is sacred, and every idea, no matter how crazy, will be considered. This encourages a diversity of thought that lives up to the legacy of being a "revolution", every year.

In short, the August Revolution allows us a moment of time not only to reflect on our past, but also to look to the future, to move forward together, as is the Pacifican way.

Written by Krulltopia
Proudly Part of PNN

[center]* * * * * * *

[size=5]This concludes the

[b]Fifthteenth[/b]

edition of

[b]Pacific News Network International[/b][/size][/center]

Edited by Letum

It was fun fighting alongside you guys in the DH-NPO War, good luck to guys as you continue to rebuild. Nice definitions for people to follow if they want, but alliances will continue to do as they can get away with as always.

o7 [IMG]http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Methrage/methuselaritysig2-1.jpg[/IMG]

I believe Oranges deserves a special citation for that contribution, quite a credit to NPO.

From a Neutral perspective, I would like to venture that the principle of [i]bella gerant alii[/i] is also relevant to the conduct of wars in our world. And in this context, the maxim of [i]beati pacifici
[/i] should take precedence over the others.

the DB$D treaty got dropped when Sirius kicked the crap out of AcTi they did however hold a ODP or PIAT with an Argent protectorate, The Conclave... also Legion was kind enough to inform the world that Invicta had downgraded on the weaboos prior to NG kicking their heads in

also NPO sucks.

Edited by wickedj

[quote name='Custodian' timestamp='1320359918' post='2837968']
I believe Oranges deserves a special citation for that contribution, quite a credit to NPO.

From a Neutral perspective, I would like to venture that the principle of [i]bella gerant alii[/i] is also relevant to the conduct of wars in our world. And in this context, the maxim of [i]beati pacifici
[/i] should take precedence over the others.
[/quote]

Oranges is indeed awesome

[quote name='Vanilla Napalm' timestamp='1320365310' post='2838007']
I can't believe the NPO-GOONS embassy wasn't mentioned. It is a beacon of hope in this dark world.
[/quote]

Shining brightly bringing light to even the darkest of hearts.

[quote]AcTi did not recieve any support from Death Before Dishonor, a Victory Not Vengeance bloc member that has ties to The Phoenix Federation and Nusantara Elite Warriors[/quote]

I guess the reason for that is the treaty has been cancelled for almost a year if not more.

[quote name='Letum' timestamp='1320352650' post='2837887']
The NG-SOS団 War did not see SOS activate its mutual defense treaty with Invicta
[/quote]

[quote name='Unknown Smurf' timestamp='1320422448' post='2838390']
I was under the impression RIA had the MDoAP treaty with SOS brigade (if anyone)... Invicta downgraded a long time ago.

Regardless, good read.
[/quote]

Both us and RIA had already downgraded our treaties with SOS at least a week or so before the war, if not longer.